First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We just got back from the bronco off rodeo Nevada. We are locals and drove our new bronco there. It was a 35 min drive, the last couple of miles where a graded gravel road with a little bit of wash boarding. As we pulled up to the off rodeo gates, a plume of steam came billowing from under the hood. Dash temp was normal, I popped the hood and noticed coolant everywhere on drivers side engine compartment. The staff let us park it in the storage lot until we were done with all the off-rodeo activities.

At the end of the day, the supervisor gave me 2 gallons of coolant and helped me check for leaks. As he poured coolant into the reservoir, it immediately came flowing from the water pump. I thought the pump was cracked. I looked closer from the top and noticed the hose going into the top of the pump was all the way off. I pulled the battery out for better access. I found the clamp and it was in the spring open position. Apparently the clamp was put on by the factory but never released to spring closed. The hose had stayed on for about 900 miles but the slight bumpy road popped it off. Easy fix, fluke error by factory, awesome time at bronco off-roadeo. I hope the other people who saw us pull in weren’t too discouraged and cancel their orders.

6DDF4508-49DB-412C-8639-E1C18BF28EE3.jpeg
Sponsored

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad you were able to get it sorted right then and there! Make sure to report it to @Ford Motor Company so they can escalate it. Seems to have happened to a few folks.

OP
OP
NVBigbend25

NVBigbend25

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We just got back from the bronco off rodeo Nevada. We are locals and drove our new bronco there. It was a 35 min drive, the last couple of miles where a graded gravel road with a little bit of wash boarding. As we pulled up to the off rodeo gates, a plume of steam came billowing from under the hood. Dash temp was normal, I popped the hood and noticed coolant everywhere on drivers side engine compartment. The staff let us park it in the storage lot until we were done with all the off-rodeo activities.

At the end of the day, the supervisor gave me 2 gallons of coolant and helped me check for leaks. As he poured coolant into the reservoir, it immediately came flowing from the water pump. I thought the pump was cracked. I looked closer from the top and noticed the hose going into the top of the pump was all the way off. I pulled the battery out for better access. I found the clamp and it was in the spring open position. Apparently the clamp was put on by the factory but never released to spring closed. The hose had stayed on for about 900 miles but the slight bumpy road popped it off. Easy fix, fluke error by factory, awesome time at bronco off-roadeo. I hope the other people who saw us pull in weren’t too discouraged and cancel their orders.

Ford Bronco Coolant leak, factory clamp was not put on 6DDF4508-49DB-412C-8639-E1C18BF28EE3
9B58C829-46AA-4983-839E-0E5BBCFF6C68.jpeg

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was also in your group yesterday - was wondering what the outcome was. Glad it was nothing serious!

OP
OP
NVBigbend25

NVBigbend25

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was also in your group yesterday - was wondering what the outcome was. Glad it was nothing serious!
I figured it was just a hose clamp. When I saw all the fluid draining from below the pump I initially thought the the water pump was cracked and said some non choice words in front of the bronco guy. But then I saw the hose on top. The clamp wasn’t even tightened up from the factory. Total fluke human error in my opinion. Still worth keeping your order in my opinion.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I figured it was just a hose clamp. When I saw all the fluid draining from below the pump I initially thought the the water pump was cracked and said some non choice words in front of the bronco guy. But then I saw the hose on top. The clamp wasn’t even tightened up from the factory. Total fluke human error in my opinion. Still worth keeping your order in my opinion.
Have the dealer give the engine compartment a bath and submit to warranty, they can get paid for that

OP
OP
NVBigbend25

NVBigbend25

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Have the dealer give the engine compartment a bath and submit to warranty, they can get paid for that
Have you taken a vehicle to a Ford dealership recently? They are 2-3 weeks out for appointment, at least in vegas. I had a glow plug go out on my 2017 f250 and they said they needed 1-2 days to diagnose and repair. It’s my daily driver so I went to auto zone, bought the plug for $20 and 30 min later got it done. Pain in the ass to remove the fender liner and access but like I said in previous comments, some times as a vehicle owner we need to have the confidence to just take care of stuff ourselves. It sucks, but you will feel good doing simple or moderate fixes yourself. If you want to rely on Ford to fix all your problems, at least come with a solution. My solution is to slow down, think, prioritize, act. GOOD luck in life!

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That’s some bullshit to have to deal with on a new vehicle. Come the hell on FORD. What sort of quality control do you have at your plant.

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Have you taken a vehicle to a Ford dealership recently? They are 2-3 weeks out for appointment, at least in vegas. I had a glow plug go out on my 2017 f250 and they said they needed 1-2 days to diagnose and repair. It’s my daily driver so I went to auto zone, bought the plug for $20 and 30 min later got it done. Pain in the ass to remove the fender liner and access but like I said in previous comments, some times as a vehicle owner we need to have the confidence to just take care of stuff ourselves. It sucks, but you will feel good doing simple or moderate fixes yourself. If you want to rely on Ford to fix all your problems, at least come with a solution. My solution is to slow down, think, prioritize, act. GOOD luck in life!
i think they are saying since this is a new vehicle being built you should let Ford know about it so they can QC the line and make sure they are putting these things together properly i don't think anyone was questioning your ability to work on your car

OP
OP
NVBigbend25

NVBigbend25

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i think they are saying since this is a new vehicle being built you should let Ford know about it so they can QC the line and make sure they are putting these things together properly i don't think anyone was questioning your ability to work on your car
Agreed. By the way!!!!! I did let Ford know direct that they did no clamp the upper water pump hose. My whole original post was supposed to be about if a minor issue happens, slow down, use your brain, relax, and try to figure it out. I realize some people are not mechanically inclined, but simple things like a hose clamp, bronco owners (or people that want to go off-roading) need to prepare themselves to field repair. It is kind of covered in the bronco off-rodeo about being prepared. That is all. Thanks

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Changing a flat or your own oil and filter is a skill set that should be a high school graduation requirement, along with one of my pet peeves, making change as a cashier without relying on the screen

But nobody should have to install improperly installed items from the factory, although knowing one could build their own car given the right tools and parts is small comfort when a $50k +/- vehicle passed QC with such omissions

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It’s great that you triaged and repaired this on your own. It’s 100% false that you or Ford should expect any of their customers to do the same with 900 miles on the clock.

For 99.9% + of current and future Bronco owners, the moral of the story here is not to go messing with hoses under-hood. The moral of the story is that your smoking/steaming brand new vehicle is *probably* ok, it was just assembled poorly at the factory.

OP
OP
NVBigbend25

NVBigbend25

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Changing a flat or your own oil and filter is a skill set that should be a high school graduation requirement, along with one of my pet peeves, making change as a cashier without relying on the screen

But nobody should have to install improperly installed items from the factory, although knowing one could build their own car given the right tools and parts is small comfort when a $50k +/- vehicle passed QC with such omissions
I must apologize for
It’s great that you triaged and repaired this on your own. It’s 100% false that you or Ford should expect any of their customers to do the same with 900 miles on the clock.

For 99.9% + of current and future Bronco owners, the moral of the story here is not to go messing with hoses under-hood. The moral of the story is that your smoking/steaming brand new vehicle is *probably* ok, it was just assembled poorly at the factory.
I must apologize for my previous posts. Honestly this is my first post EVER on any forum (honest truth) and I don’t know how to process and react to complete strangers on social media. I did not know how to handle comments referring to factual things that I experienced first person and how to explain them clearer. Just background on myself, I have always done all my own DIY repairs and maintenance until about 6 years ago. Now my time and effort is not worth dealing with it. YES I should absolutely let the dealers deal with this type of stuff. Our situation was unique and we needed to quick fix so we could get back home, and no body should have to deal with that situation with a brand new vehicle. I appreciate all the comments and recommendations and will be more thoughtful of the forum’s overall experience with mechanics. I truly do apologize.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I must apologize for

I must apologize for my previous posts. Honestly this is my first post EVER on any forum (honest truth) and I don’t know how to process and react to complete strangers on social media. I did not know how to handle comments referring to factual things that I experienced first person and how to explain them clearer. Just background on myself, I have always done all my own DIY repairs and maintenance until about 6 years ago. Now my time and effort is not worth dealing with it. YES I should absolutely let the dealers deal with this type of stuff. Our situation was unique and we needed to quick fix so we could get back home, and no body should have to deal with that situation with a brand new vehicle. I appreciate all the comments and recommendations and will be more thoughtful of the forum’s overall experience with mechanics. I truly do apologize.
No biggie at my end. You were capable enough and the staff at the event helpful enough to avoid calling AAA. It just illustrates that nobody or anything is perfect but it is how we deal with the perfections in life that define us as human
Sponsored