Sponsored

Could this have been the cause of the Bronco with all the snow inside? (Soft top issue)

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Video demonstrates an issue with his soft top not latching into place on the sides. I'm wondering how many people might unknowingly not have their soft top secured properly, allowing the sides to come up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

possibly i need to go rewatch that lite brite video to see if it looked like it was latched or not when the 80 mph was lifting the soft top.

Update:
Yup at about 8:50 of that video you can see it lifting so I think they have the same issue.

zgoods

Badlands
First Name
Zgoods
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Video demonstrates an issue with his soft top not latching into place on the sides. I'm wondering how many people might unknowingly not have their soft top secured properly, allowing the sides to come up.
Agreed, I didn't realize I had not latched mine back up for a few days but I don't think this is an actual soft-top issue. I have to manually latch mine.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you seen the Lite Brite video??

Sponsored

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Kekov721

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

does that hook not move forward when you fold the rest of it down?

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

does that hook not move forward when you fold the rest of it down?
Yes, those hooks are supposed to snap in place around the bolts. The videos out there show this as being a simple press and snap-in so if they are not latching properly, then the parts of the soft top need to be adjusted a bit for a proper fit.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always thought it was by design that the soft top latches take a little extra force to lock into place -- otherwise, there wouldn't be any load firmly pressing down on the weatherstripping seals?

While the soft top definitely takes a little bit of force to lock into place, it's not excessive by any means. You just need to make sure you hear the click and try to push up on the latches before driving off.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

possibly i need to go rewatch that lite brite video to see if it looked like it was latched or not when the 80 mph was lifting the soft top.

Update:
Yup at about 8:50 of that video you can see it lifting so I think they have the same issue.
Can someone grab a screenshot of where they're seeing the frame of the soft top lift in the video, and not just the fabric itself? If that middle latch isn't locked in, that'll 100% cause the issue they had.

Sponsored

Stache12

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lite Brite said in the other thread they checked the mid latch and it was properly latched. Not the issue.

Cpalms

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you mean of the guy left is soft top all the open and folded back then maybe, if it's just some little latch not pushed in - not a chance. The video was BS.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The answer to the original question is no. Even with the frame latched/locked into place, the fabric can be lifted off the frame just above the rear door. There is no mechanism to lock the fabric to the frame. Tension and gravity is all that holds the top down to the frame above the rear door. Strong winds can, and does raise the fabric off of the frame.

DasQball

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought that latch had to be pushed back up if you wanted it locked in position 1 or closed. If its down, it can be moved to position 2, or all the way back if the windows are removed.
Sponsored