Sponsored

Cracked windshield - any chance Ford will replace during adhesive recall?

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, it took 6 months and 6,200 miles...windshield cracked on the drive into work this morning. I have the windshield adhesive recall scheduled for the end of September, any chance they will replace the windshield then? Also, if I get the windshield replaced myself, is the recall needed? I thought I read somewhere that a replacement windshield does NOT fix the issue.

I guess I'm going to bubble wrap the bronco now.
Sponsored

BluebroncoNC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My understanding from my Ford Dealership's repair center is, my local dealer is using Safelite to remove the windshield they are going to be taking off to fix the adhesive on my lucky truck. Then once the fix has been made, the sanding repainting, etc... Safelite will then come back out to reinstall the glass. During that process, if your truck is in the lucky recall window, you could get safelite to order a new glass and have them install it. At least the install would be free. Your insurance should cover the glass though, policy dependent. Heh, or hope it shatters during the take off process and they don't have a choice? Still think they'll make you sign a waver. my guess.

OP
OP

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My understanding from my Ford Dealership's repair center is, my local dealer is using Safelite to remove the windshield they are going to be taking off to fix the adhesive on my lucky truck. Then once the fix has been made, the sanding repainting, etc... Safelite will then come back out to reinstall the glass. During that process, if your truck is in the lucky recall window, you could get safelite to order a new glass and have them install it. At least the install would be free. Your insurance should cover the glass though, policy dependent. Heh, or hope it shatters during the take off process and they don't have a choice? Still think they'll make you sign a waver. my guess.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I have a $250 deductible for glass, so I am prepared for that. I also have a Ford premium care warranty but I don't think glass is covered under it.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, it took 6 months and 6,200 miles...windshield cracked on the drive into work this morning. I have the windshield adhesive recall scheduled for the end of September, any chance they will replace the windshield then? Also, if I get the windshield replaced myself, is the recall needed? I thought I read somewhere that a replacement windshield does NOT fix the issue.

I had a windshield break before the recall and had it replaced under my windshield coverage policy. When the recall came out my dealership said it was a moot point and that I didn't need to get it replaced. They would have actually liked for me to do the recall because they get paid by Ford for it, but said it would be silly for me to do it again.

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a windshield break before the recall and had it replaced under my windshield coverage policy. When the recall came out my dealership said it was a moot point and that I didn't need to get it replaced. They would have actually liked for me to do the recall because they get paid by Ford for it, but said it would be silly for me to do it again.
Just want to understand what you are saying here. If I have to have my windshield replaced before the recall work is completed by the dealer that I do not have to have the recall work done? Would Safelite or whatever glass company redo the urethane adhesive? I would assume they would ensure the new glass was correctly installed. Have used Safelite in the past in other vehicles and always had a good experience. I got beaned with a rock in the lower right hand corner and there is a chunk of glass about 1/4” x 1/8” missing and a crack in the glass as well.

Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just want to understand what you are saying here. If I have to have my windshield replaced before the recall work is completed by the dealer that I do not have to have the recall work done? Would Safelite or whatever glass company redo the urethane adhesive? I would assume they would ensure the new glass was correctly installed. Have used Safelite in the past in other vehicles and always had a good experience. I got beaned with a rock in the lower right hand corner and there is a chunk of glass about 1/4” x 1/8” missing and a crack in the glass as well.
That is correct. I even made sure the dealership called the glass installer when the recall notice came in (the dealership uses this install company all the time and I spoke with them directly as well) and the dealership explained the recall and the glass installer assured the dealership that they prep the surface before applying their adhesive and installing the new glass. It's what they do for a living right? They should know how to do it correctly, unlike Ford in this instance apparently.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had an appointment with Safelite this past Thursday. They would not replace the windshield until the recall is done.

I have an appointment this coming week with Ford dealership to do the recall. I can't imagine my windshield will survive being removed. The crack goes from the very top edge and makes a 90 degree turn towards the passenger side edge.

Safelite was unsure what will happen at the recall appointment. I have a call into the Ford service advisor but have not heard back from them.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had an appointment with Safelite this past Thursday. They would not replace the windshield until the recall is done.

I have an appointment this coming week with Ford dealership to do the recall. I can't imagine my windshield will survive being removed. The crack goes from the very top edge and makes a 90 degree turn towards the passenger side edge.

Safelite was unsure what will happen at the recall appointment. I have a call into the Ford service advisor but have not heard back from them.
That doesn't seem to make any sense. Are you saying that Safelite wants the windshield removed, area prepped, broken windshield put back in and then Safelite will remove it again and then replace the broken one?
Maybe that's the difference between using a large national company like Safelite v.s. a local company as my dealer does.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you have the windshield replaced, there is absolutely no reason to do the recall... except:

Ford won't have a record of it being done, so they will hound you for the rest of your life.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a couple of small rock pings on my windshield. I'm expecting that when I have the recall/replacement done, I'll get new glass (with the correct adhesive, I'm sure) which solves the rock dings.
But thanks for bringing up the issue. I'll be sure to ask whether they're replacing the glass on the recall, or using the old glass and simply reinstalling it with the correct adhesive. If the latter (old glass returned to my vehicle) I'll have to work that out.

Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have the windshield replaced, there is absolutely no reason to do the recall... except:

Ford won't have a record of it being done, so they will hound you for the rest of your life.
My dealer actually noted it after the fact for that exact reason even though mine had been replaced prior to the recall technically.

OP
OP

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That doesn't seem to make any sense. Are you saying that Safelite wants the windshield removed, area prepped, broken windshield put back in and then Safelite will remove it again and then replace the broken one?
Maybe that's the difference between using a large national company like Safelite v.s. a local company as my dealer does.
You are just as dumbfounded as I was. Hopefully the dealership has a clue when I get in touch with them before my recall appointment.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base

The windshield recall is for the sealant. Anytime the windshield is replaced the sealant must be completely cleaned out and replaced, so of course it fixes the issue. If it doesn't, it's not on Ford anymore, but your installer. When I made my recall appointment, the service manager told me there is a chance the windshield may break during removal, and if this happens they would have to order one which could take weeks. I asked if they could preorder one just in case, and he said no. Thank goodness that didn't happen. If your cracked windshield if from a hit, most likely you will be responsible for the part cost, which at dealer OEM pricing is probably far more than having a windshield company do it. Never know though, maybe you can work something out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The windshield recall is for the sealant. Anytime the windshield is replaced the sealant must be completely cleaned out and replaced, so of course it fixes the issue. If it doesn't, it's not on Ford anymore, but your installer. When I made my recall appointment, the service manager told me there is a chance the windshield may break during removal, and if this happens they would have to order one which could take weeks. I asked if they could preorder one just in case, and he said no. Thank goodness that didn't happen. If your cracked windshield if from a hit, most likely you will be responsible for the part cost, which at dealer OEM pricing is probably far more than having a windshield company do it. Never know though, maybe you can work something out.
Here's where I am currently:

1. I set a recall appointment with dealer
  2. Also set replacement appointment with Safelite (scheduled before recall appointment)
  3. Safelite wouldn't touch it without recall being done. Apparently Safelite either doesn't replace the adhesive or doesn't understand the process. Or both.
  4. Dealership wasn't sure what to do. Suggested I contact local glass shop that does the recall work for them.
  5. Contacted local glass shop and they knew the most about the process - shocker (sarcasm). He did get a leadtime of 3 weeks for a new windshield.
  6. I'm currently trying to get USAA to change the repair/replace to the local shop (they automatically assign to Safelite).
I'm 100% ok paying my deductible for the replacement, I just want it done.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No thanks. When my windshield is cracked I will get recall. Until then not going to worry one bit about it
Sponsored