Sponsored

Cracked windshield - any chance Ford will replace during adhesive recall?

GreyBronco

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element. 2 Civics and a Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, it took 6 months and 6,200 miles...windshield cracked on the drive into work this morning. I have the windshield adhesive recall scheduled for the end of September, any chance they will replace the windshield then? Also, if I get the windshield replaced myself, is the recall needed? I thought I read somewhere that a replacement windshield does NOT fix the issue.

I guess I'm going to bubble wrap the bronco now.
I have a crack in my windshield from an obvious stone. I have tried 2x to get satellite out to replace it and the installer didn't want to do it due to a chance of rain that day and rescheduled. I live in Ohio, there's always a chance of rain. So this time after I cooled down, I made another appointment and this time I'm taking it to them. The day before the appointment, I received a call that they do not have a windshield in stock, even though they said they did when I made the appointment. So I'm still going to wait till next week when they can get another windshield. Hopefully. So it looks like they are a hot item as usual. The replacement would cost over 800$, I do have a 100$ deductible so Ill wait.
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
interesting. Spoke to my salesman asked if they have performed the windshield recall and he says yes. We can't sell a new 22 with the windshield issue so before delivery, they remove the glass and the body-shop goes to town and grind down the frame to remove the old adhesive and the paint and then they have to repaint it and then reinstall the windshield.

I don't think just the replacing the windshield removes the factory issue.

My salesman told me don't do it if you don't have to as 10-15-20 years from now you will see the windshield frame rust out on cars where this procedure was performed.

If you have the windshield replaced, there is absolutely no reason to do the recall... except:

Ford won't have a record of it being done, so they will hound you for the rest of your life.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
interesting. Spoke to my salesman asked if they have performed the windshield recall and he says yes. We can't sell a new 22 with the windshield issue so before delivery, they remove the glass and the body-shop goes to town and grind down the frame to remove the old adhesive and the paint and then they have to repaint it and then reinstall the windshield.

I don't think just the replacing the windshield removes the factory issue.

My salesman told me don't do it if you don't have to as 10-15-20 years from now you will see the windshield frame rust out on cars where this procedure was performed.
And Drink!

just picked up my 22. No recall or rework. It's only a subset of the 22s.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's where I am currently:

1. I set a recall appointment with dealer
  2. Also set replacement appointment with Safelite (scheduled before recall appointment)
  3. Safelite wouldn't touch it without recall being done. Apparently Safelite either doesn't replace the adhesive or doesn't understand the process. Or both.
  4. Dealership wasn't sure what to do. Suggested I contact local glass shop that does the recall work for them.
  5. Contacted local glass shop and they knew the most about the process - shocker (sarcasm). He did get a leadtime of 3 weeks for a new windshield.
  6. I'm currently trying to get USAA to change the repair/replace to the local shop (they automatically assign to Safelite).
I'm 100% ok paying my deductible for the replacement, I just want it done.
It sounds like Safelite doesn't know what they are talking about. Safelite isn't going to take a windshield out without replacing the sealant because they will probably ruin the old sealant when they take out the windshield.

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I thought I got lucky but my windshield got me last week. A 4"+crack from the upper right corner. Nothing hit the glass and all I could think is that it was a temperature stress crack. Ford acted like it was the first windshield they ever heard of that broke spontaneously. Lucky I have a $50 deductible. At least I don't have to bring it in for the recall.

Sponsored

KNXBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have the windshield recall on my Big Bend, and took it to the Dealership last week. Was going to pick it up on Friday but got a call from the service department that it had broken as they were taking it out. They said that they will order a replacement so now I have to wait. I think it might be a long time.

OP
OP

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the windshield recall on my Big Bend, and took it to the Dealership last week. Was going to pick it up on Friday but got a call from the service department that it had broken as they were taking it out. They said that they will order a replacement so now I have to wait. I think it might be a long time.
I've been quoted 3 weeks lead time for a new windshield from my local dealer.

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've been quoted 3 weeks lead time for a new windshield from my local dealer.
3 weeks isn't too bad. It took me over double that to get my new windshield when I broke it after a few thousand miles. I put the grab gard film kit onto my new one to hopefully not go through that fiasco again. I'm glad I did, because I've had a few hard hits since then and the film kept the new windshield from breaking.

555-RGNE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Basequatch 2dr 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I took mine in for the windshield recall and the dealership refused to fix it due to the fact that there is a crack 3/4 of the way across my windshield. Technically, they outsourced it to the local glass repair company and the glass place said that they won't remove the windshield because it will break, so they can't perform the recall fix. The dealership's solution was for me to replace the windshield on my dime, then bring it back in to have the recall fixed. My guess is that it's a matter of shifting blame where the glass co doesn't want to be on the hook for the cost of a replacement windshield and the dealership saying "you break it, you buy it."

First off, f that. I'm fine with my windshield being cracked. As soon as I replace it, the next one will catch a rock and crack, too. It's just the nature of the shape of Broncos and Jeeps. If this truly is a recall due to an unsafe condition caused by an improper adhesive being used at the factory, @Ford Motor Company needs to do what it takes to replace the windshield, regardless of current condition. Absent the recall, my cracked windshield would remain on until it gets bad enough that it impairs my line of sight. I'm not dropping a grand to bail Ford out of their mistake.

Secondly, when I got in my Bronco after the service advisor pulled it around, it was in 4H and my rear differential was locked, plus my display was changed from the "My View" that I always use to the Offroad displays. Of course, there's no way to tell when it was engaged or why the display on the cluster was changed. Did someone drive it to/from the glass shop that way? Why was any of that changed? It would take someone selecting 4H and pressing the hero button separately, which is hard to do accidentally. My Bronco is a Basequatch and was in the normal GOAT mode when I got in. The only thing they did was replace my headlight switch and fix the brake failure/hill start assist failure notification (just reprogramming per Ford's SSM). I have an email in to the GM of the dealership to at least document the incident so that I have something to fall back on if I start noticing issues pop up.

Have I mentioned that I f'ing LOATHE dealership service departments? :rolleyes:

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had an appointment with Safelite this past Thursday. They would not replace the windshield until the recall is done.
safelite being so clueless is one of the reasons I'll never let them near my vehicles agian. I'm sure plenty of people have great luck with them, me not so much. I had to have a windsheild replaced in my 4Runner (really bad crack was not safe to drive) and they not only put the wrong windsheild in, but also dripped adhesive on my dash ruining my dash. I fought with them for weeks about replacing my windshield with the correct windshield as well as making them pay to replace my dash. I'll never use them again.

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was going to have recall done but it was pia. My windshield is cracked in 3 spots already and needs replacement…. Called ford and they said ,we never had this happen b4. Finally a few days later they said I need to call my insurance and have claim switched to fords local glass company and leave truck with them for up to 2 days.
f-that. The recall is for all intents and purposes done anytime wibdshield is replaced by anyone. I called local glass installer,came to my house and done in an hour. Yes I will continue to get recall notice. Dont really care. Im certain to need it replaced once a yr anyways. I read that people on this thread tried to do same but were told truck had recall and wouldnt do it. No problems here. Just my experience. I also live in a state where insurance must cover glass 0 deductible. Anyways they must not have run vin when replaced.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It sounds like Safelite doesn't know what they are talking about. Safelite isn't going to take a windshield out without replacing the sealant because they will probably ruin the old sealant when they take out the windshield.
Did you tell safelite you had a recall on windshield? Thats your first mistake if so. Recall is complete anytime windshield is replaced. Sealent replaced everytime …. Of course if you dont like having a piece of paper telling you your truck needs recall then go to ford.

OP
OP

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was going to have recall done but it was pia. My windshield is cracked in 3 spots already and needs replacement…. Called ford and they said ,we never had this happen b4. Finally a few days later they said I need to call my insurance and have claim switched to fords local glass company and leave truck with them for up to 2 days.
f-that. The recall is for all intents and purposes done anytime wibdshield is replaced by anyone. I called local glass installer,came to my house and done in an hour. Yes I will continue to get recall notice. Dont really care. Im certain to need it replaced once a yr anyways. I read that people on this thread tried to do same but were told truck had recall and wouldnt do it. No problems here. Just my experience. I also live in a state where insurance must cover glass 0 deductible. Anyways they must not have run vin when replaced.
I ended up having local dealership order a windshield, then the company they are using for recall came to my house to replace.
BUT, the dealership actually sold my replacement windshield before the replacement and recall could be done. 🤦‍♂️ Luckily they were able to get another one within a couple days.
You are 100% correct that the adhesive is replaced, and thus the recall complete, everytime the windshield is replaced. My glass guy showed me how poorly the factory adhesive was done. Some spots were less than 1/8" of a bead.
And of course 3 weeks after the repair I got another chip while returning from Moab. At least it's smaller, on the passenger side, and already filled. I'm carrying a repair kit in my Bronco now in case I get another chip while travelling.
Sponsored