Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Trying to figure this out before my wife kills me. I convinced her to go with the Bronco over an explorer or something bigger because it's saweeet and I said we'd still be able to fit everything.

Here's the deal - It'll be us 2 adults, 2 kids in car seats and 2, 60+ lb dogs. Dogs always travel in the cargo area. After looking at the Quick Reference Guide, the roof rack can only handle 110lb's when traveling. I was not expecting that little. I already have a hitch mount carrier but with the spare tire there won't be much room in that either and whatever I put on it will be dirty as hell.

With the roof rack limit of 110 lb's I'm assuming a larger roof-top storage bin or multi-use rack will be another 20+ lb's and if I want anything to be weather proof up there that will be another 20+ lb's bringing my actual load down to 70 or so lb's and most will be open to weather If don't want to mess with a horrid blue tarp or something similar.

Any experienced dad's or overlanders with families of similar size that have creative ways to travel with everything they need? Is 110 lb's really negotiable (non-moving capacity is 450)? It just doesn't seem possible....
Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Assuming you're getting a 4-door, of course, I'd look into one of these (or something similar) for the roof. fits a ton of stuff, nearly all the luggage a family can produce, and is neat and tidy on the roof, and the box itself is only about 20 lbs, so nearly 90 lbs of capacity:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/cargo-carrier/car-top-carrier/thule-motion-xt-l-_-629706

The wife and I had this for our outback a few years ago, and it allowed us to carry: 2 adults, 2 kids, *4* dogs in the cargo area, and all the luggage up top

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://xgcargo.com/products/jl-gam...Z3oi8mYBVB8djQNNJSi5k4GR8vytP7GgaAmcLEALw_wcB

I really want them to make secure versions of these in hard sided cases so I can keep tool or whatever without losing space to stow the doors, theses will help leave space for the doggos somewhat though

If anybody out there can fab some secure ones for a reasonable price, I'll buy two for sure

https://www.ubox-offroad.com/produc...rs-for-jeep-wrangler-jk-2007-2018-04052nw-sho

These ones go inside the bar, between the two, thats a decent amount of space

http://dominionoffroad.com/jeep_jk_dirtbagz_storage_system/index.html

Tack on this you got the triple threat

Last edited:

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's quite a conundrum. How about a small enclosed trailer. Emphasize small.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maineah

Maineah

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Assuming you're getting a 4-door, of course, I'd look into one of these (or something similar) for the roof. fits a ton of stuff, nearly all the luggage a family can produce, and is neat and tidy on the roof, and the box itself is only about 20 lbs, so nearly 90 lbs of capacity:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/cargo-carrier/car-top-carrier/thule-motion-xt-l-_-629706

The wife and I had this for our outback a few years ago, and it allowed us to carry: 2 adults, 2 kids, *4* dogs in the cargo area, and all the luggage up top
I have this exact carrier. It's nice, quality

OP
OP
Maineah

Maineah

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thought about this as the go-to option but the hard-shell carriers are just that, hard-shell, so things like the pack & play, family cooler, odd shaped or hard items just won't fit...Was thinking half the top in a hard-shell, other half a narrow rack. But then the weight limit comes into the equation....

Sponsored

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

you do know there's other places you can keep your dogs, right? /s

Ford Bronco Crafty Storage Options? 1614651243878

Amcap76

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250, 2019 GT-350, 2004 Jeep LJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Trying to figure this out before my wife kills me. I convinced her to go with the Bronco over an explorer or something bigger because it's saweeet and I said we'd still be able to fit everything.

Here's the deal - It'll be us 2 adults, 2 kids in car seats and 2, 60+ lb dogs. Dogs always travel in the cargo area. After looking at the Quick Reference Guide, the roof rack can only handle 110lb's when traveling. I was not expecting that little. I already have a hitch mount carrier but with the spare tire there won't be much room in that either and whatever I put on it will be dirty as hell.

With the roof rack limit of 110 lb's I'm assuming a larger roof-top storage bin or multi-use rack will be another 20+ lb's and if I want anything to be weather proof up there that will be another 20+ lb's bringing my actual load down to 70 or so lb's and most will be open to weather If don't want to mess with a horrid blue tarp or something similar.

Any experienced dad's or overlanders with families of similar size that have creative ways to travel with everything they need? Is 110 lb's really negotiable (non-moving capacity is 450)? It just doesn't seem possible....
I wouldn’t recommend this
Ford Bronco Crafty Storage Options? A1E9A635-4CDD-4F0B-B833-69BEBA4C99E1