First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I have a question about the crash bars that are "sometimes" seen... I see broncos with them and others without, knowing that the broncos that we have seen up to this moment are "pre-production, are the crash bars something people can just remove? If so, how important are they and have this type of crash bars ever been used before??? It just seems like something that has been pointed out but not talked about a whole lot.
Sponsored

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Edit: sorry I misunderstood the post.

Last edited:

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe the crash bars are the same on the current Ranger and many who add bigger tires will swap them out with aftermarket versions. This way, they still get the protection (or at least some of it) and can run the larger tires. How safe it is to remove them, I do not know.

What I can tell you, is that they are bolt on and will be easy to remove if you need more clearance for larger tires. I took these pictures a couple of months ago of the front and rear crash bars in the front wheel well. This is on a Badlands with standard wheels and tires.

Ford Bronco Crash bars??? 1615298506920

Ford Bronco Crash bars??? 1615298523775

JZZ

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not an expert here and I had the same questions, what was explained to me is that they are very useful in traffic accidents in protecting the cab by keeping the wheels from being pushed up and in. But they can be removed for rock crawling or if you chose to add larger tires again not an expert

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does anyone make an end cap for those? For the Ranger now perhaps then the Bronco eventually? I'd love to not have them but for a couple bucks an end cap would make a big difference aesthetically.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I have a question about the crash bars that are "sometimes" seen... I see broncos with them and others without, knowing that the broncos that we have seen up to this moment are "pre-production, are the crash bars something people can just remove? If so, how important are they and have this type of crash bars ever been used before??? It just seems like something that has been pointed out but not talked about a whole lot.
It had been discussed heavily early on... but really, @Philly summed it up perfectly. That's really all you need to know.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I believe the crash bars are the same on the current Ranger and many who add bigger tires will swap them out with aftermarket versions. This way, they still get the protection (or at least some of it) and can run the larger tires. How safe it is to remove them, I do not know.

What I can tell you, is that they are bolt on and will be easy to remove if you need more clearance for larger tires. I took these pictures a couple of months ago of the front and rear crash bars in the front wheel well. This is on a Badlands with standard wheels and tires.

Ford Bronco Crash bars??? 617BCe3lU2L._AC_SL1001_

Those pics give me the impression that 33's should fit Black Diamond no problem. At least front to back. I guess the issue might be if the different suspension on the Badlands makes a difference at all. I'm new to this, so let me know if I'm not thinking about this correctly. I've seen the big write-up thread about this topic, but the measurements seemed like the fit on a Black Diamond would be much tighter.

Would the upgraded Badlands suspension really make this much of a difference?

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does anyone make an end cap for those? For the Ranger now perhaps then the Bronco eventually? I'd love to not have them but for a couple bucks an end cap would make a big difference aesthetically.
Yes mr miller,hobart,and mr lincoln make that part very easily.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This series is pretty interesting and gets into the Ranger suspension and crash bars. The Bronco borrows heavily from the Ranger (I believe the measuring points remain almost identical?). At minimum, this series gives you a look at what steps/stages might be involved in lifting or fitting larger tires to the Bronco. Better than nothing until we get hands on the Bronco!

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Great post and pics. Best pictures I’ve seen of these things so far! Gets rid of all the guessing.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those pics give me the impression that 33's should fit Black Diamond no problem. At least front to back. I guess the issue might be if the different suspension on the Badlands makes a difference at all. I'm new to this, so let me know if I'm not thinking about this correctly. I've seen the big write-up thread about this topic, but the measurements seemed like the fit on a Black Diamond would be much tighter.

Would the upgraded Badlands suspension really make this much of a difference?
I would guess 33’s will fit, but you may need a leveling kit or larger bump stops to keep them from rubbing the fender flares at full flex and wheels/wheel spacers that will allow you to turn the larger tires to full lock without rubbing.

This is the same thing that needs to be done on the Jeep JK’s when upgrading to 33’s from the factory tires. I couldn’t tell you with the JL’s, but I bet it’s the same. Pretty simple and not too expensive.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The crash bars been on F-150's for at least 6 years.
Some say if you remove them and get into a serious wreck make you susceptible to legal action but if you just need a little room, remove the tire and put a porta power in between them and give them a little push.

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me the reduced performance in the case of a crash isn’t worth fitting a slightly larger tire
Sponsored