Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all,

It finally happened! My wife and I finally got to sit in and drive the new Broncos. What an awesome experience. We live near and ordered through Granger so we went to their dealership to drive their mannequins.

Their two mannequins combined really cover the bits and pieces of the majority of features and configurations for the broad Bronco lineup. We are a 4-door CO Badlands LUX 2.3 MT order, so we got to see our body, engine, and transmission in their 4-door Big Bend, and the hardtop, sound system and tech in the 2-door Wildtrak (and perhaps a decent approximation of the suspension / ride quality).

Although I have seen a couple crawler gear videos, I was never quite certain if they were conducted in 4Lo vs. 4Hi. So we made our own video. Crawler gear in 4Lo is VERY impressive! The speedometer read 1mph in 4Lo and 3mph in 4Hi, although I am unsure if @Zach@Granger recalibrated the speedometer yet or not after jumping up to 35s from the stock BB tires.

Here are our observations and thoughts on the 2 mannequins Granger has:
Ford Bronco Crawler Gear Speed Video and Granger Mannequins Test Drives IMG_6956[1].JPG

Black 4-door BB 2.3 MT with Leveling Lift - 35 x 12.50" R18 Falken Wildpeak M/Ts
The Good

• Looks badass
  • Probably a really good value for light / non-performance oriented offroaders
  • Manual transmission and clutch feel really good! Tight. Basically zero slop - compared to our 2004 Manual Camry which has ALL kinds of slop :)
  • Tracked perfectly straight down the road. Steering amazingly responsive for such an aggressive and large tire
  • A/C is powerful and plentiful front and rear (it was 95 deg here yesterday too)
  • Cabin room is AMAZING. No comparison to the Wrangler. Foot / leg space is incredible. Not just length wise but width wise. I am 6'6" and 220lb and still had about 4" of seat adjustment left when I found my comfortable driving location.
  • 2nd row leg room is impressive! With my 6'6" body and long ass legs even my 6'2" wife could sit behind me WITHOUT her knees touching. Our daughter was in a rear-facing car seat and had plenty of room on the passenger side.
  • The engine bay IS NOT really intimidating. I understand that in pictures it looks like there's only hosing and wiring going everywhere, but that's not the case in real-life. The little 4-banger is EASILY visible under the top layer of hoses and wiring. It actually looks like belt changes, alternator replacement, etc will be quite easy. I actually really liked how it was laid out, seems like there's lots of space everywhere which will be great for mods. Of course it's a tiny little engine - and this is coming from a guy who maintains his own Powerstroke 6.0L so...
The Bad / Not Great
  • Biggest gripe - I think the level / lift and very aggressive tires are really doing this vehicle a disservice for those who were hoping to experience the now expected "amazing" suspension and ride quality of the Bronco. The tires are so aggressive that you feel every lug at low speed / turning in parking lots etc and they are a little less "connected" to the road. If you know you know. The level / lift takes the already lower grade Big Bend suspension and does not make it better. My wife and I both thought the on-road ride smoothness over rough highway was equivalent to her parents' Rubicon. Not what we were hoping for but we knew that's probably what we were going to expect with the rig modified the way it was. Note that these comments are not addressing the steering quality here - steering is head and shoulders above the Wrangler even with these "appearance mods".
  • Power was "adequate". Nothing more. Wish I could've spent more time learning how to keep the engine in the power band.
  • If you live on gravel roads and are averse to letting dust into your vehicle, the soft top is not for you. Not only do you notice dust on the top more, but also I think it probably doesn't seal as well in the tailgate area, meaning the tailgate and sealing borders will get more dusty.
  • The soft was VERY loud compared to the hard top with sound deadening headliner. Not even close.
  • The 8" screen is very underwhelming
  • The stereo does not sound good. I didn't even bother turning it up because quality was bad even at low relatively quiet levels
  • I recently saw the new thread on whistling sound on the Big Bend. THIS THING ABSOLUTELY WHISTLED! To us it sounded more like it was coming from the driver's mirror area, but could be wrong and maybe it was actually the grille/hood. All I know is that it was really dang noticeable - and to spoil the punchline - the Wildtrak had ZERO whistle.
Ford Bronco Crawler Gear Speed Video and Granger Mannequins Test Drives IMG_6953[1].JPG

Race Red 2-door WT 2.7 AT - Bone Stock
The Good

• This thing is where it's AT!!!!! If we didn't have such a large family - I would be 2-door all the way.
  • I cannot overstate how damn awesome the suspension is tuned on this thing. It was NOT EVEN CLOSE in comparison to the modified BB we had. You could easily throw it around, it was playful, significantly more smooth in rough road/highway, connected to the road, predictable etc. etc. THIS is what we were expecting from the highly touted handling of the new Bronco - NOT EVEN CLOSE to the Wrangler Rubicon
  • The 12" screen BLEW US AWAY. Period. I would be unhappy now if I had settled for the 8".
  • **We are not audiophiles. Our newest vehicle is an '04 Camry ;)** The B&O system was REALLY GREAT. I loved cranking that thing up and it was extremely satisfying and blew away the systems in our current vehicles. I really don't know what people are complaining about with this system being "junk". They're crazy. Or we're just uneducated :) Also - I do suspect there is a huge impact of the shorter cabin of the 2-door with nice MIC top and sound deadening
  • The cabin noise WAS WAY BETTER than the softop - as expected. Not hardly any wind noise.
  • ZERO whistling
  • MIC Top finish quality - excellent. Didn't look at it with a microscope, but have faith, it is really a nice top when executed correctly. Maybe I picked up on some of the "snake skin" appearance just slightly, but honestly it looks like it was expected to be there and it wouldn't have bothered me in the least if it were mine.
  • 2.7 Power - Awesome. Felt very racy and I wanted to romp on it non-stop
  • AT - If we didn't like manuals so much and weren't looking to save several thousand on our Badlands build, I would go with the AT. It seems like that would be really nice to me.
  • I rode in the back with my daughter. After you get back there, it is SUPER comfortable. At 6'6" I could've ridden back there all day and been fine.
  • A/C was adequate in back seat when turned up appropriately.
The Not-so-awesome
  • When sitting in the back, I noticed a little wind noise at the seam / junction of the top panels where they meet up between the front and the back on the driver side kind of right behind the driver's head. What was interesting, was that I never heard anything while I was driving, but when I went to the back while my wife drove, I did notice it. So really it's not a big deal.
  • When stroking your hand on the sound deadening headliner, it did release a lot of "fuzz" or dust particles. Like it wasn't clean or or like it was losing material. Feels nice, looks nice, but man I didn't like seeing the dust come out of it like that.
Conclusion
  • If you are like us and are going for the best possible ride quality - DO NOT go throwing leveling lifts on lower grade suspensions. Stick with Badlands / Sasquatch suspension packages and leave them stock until you're absolutely convinced you want to change. The engineers REALLY NAILED IT with the Sasquatch package, and I'm guessing the Badlands package too. YOU WILL EFF IT UP IF YOU CHANGE IT. I would be really patient before changing your suspension / tire setup.
  • If you value the creature comforts like the tech, interior sound levels, engine performance - you get what you pay for
  • Lower trim levels with a Sasquatch package ARE GOING TO BE A STEAL. You will not find a better riding off-road rig at the price point than a Basesquatch
PS - What a great place to work with, and what a great memorial to the late Albert Schmitz. Granger you're a class act:
Ford Bronco Crawler Gear Speed Video and Granger Mannequins Test Drives IMG_6961[1].JPG

Ford Bronco Crawler Gear Speed Video and Granger Mannequins Test Drives 1627663650130

Ford Bronco Crawler Gear Speed Video and Granger Mannequins Test Drives 1627663904307

Ford Bronco Crawler Gear Speed Video and Granger Mannequins Test Drives 1627664720579

IMG_6956[1].JPG

IMG_6953[1].JPG

IMG_6961[1].JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Now I want to see a comparison next to a base 7 speed in 4 lo with the stock tires lol

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all,

It finally happened! My wife and I finally got to sit in and drive the new Broncos. What an awesome experience. We live near and ordered through Granger so we went to their dealership to drive their mannequins.

Their two mannequins combined really cover the bits and pieces of the majority of features and configurations for the broad Bronco lineup. We are a 4-door CO Badlands LUX 2.3 MT order, so we got to see our body, engine, and transmission in their 4-door Big Bend, and the hardtop, sound system and tech in the 2-door Wildtrak (and perhaps a decent approximation of the suspension / ride quality).

Although I have seen a couple crawler gear videos, I was never quite certain if they were conducted in 4Lo vs. 4Hi. So we made our own video. Crawler gear in 4Lo is VERY impressive! The speedometer read 1mph in 4Lo and 3mph in 4Hi, although I am unsure if @Zach@Granger recalibrated the speedometer yet or not after jumping up to 35s from the stock BB tires.

Ford Bronco Crawler Gear Speed Video and Granger Mannequins Test Drives IMG_6961[1].JPG

Black 4-door BB 2.3 MT with Leveling Lift - 35 x 12.50" R18 Falken Wildpeak M/Ts
The Good

• Looks badass
  • Manual transmission and clutch feel really good! Tight. Basically zero slop - compared to our 2004 Manual Camry which has ALL kinds of slop :)
  • Tracked perfectly straight down the road. Steering amazingly responsive for such an aggressive and large tire
  • A/C is powerful and plentiful front and rear (it was 95 deg here yesterday too)
  • Cabin room is AMAZING. No comparison to the Wrangler. Foot / leg space is incredible. Not just length wise but width wise. I am 6'6" and 220lb and still had about 4" of seat adjustment left when I found my comfortable driving location.
  • 2nd row leg room is impressive! With my 6'6" body and long ass legs even my 6'2" wife could sit behind me WITHOUT her knees touching. Our daughter was in a rear-facing car seat and had plenty of room on the passenger side.
  • The engine bay IS NOT really intimidating. I understand that in pictures it looks like there's only hosing and wiring going everywhere, but that's not the case in real-life. The little 4-banger is EASILY visible under the top layer of hoses and wiring. It actually looks like belt changes, alternator replacement, etc will be quite easy. I actually really liked how it was laid out, seems like there's lots of space everywhere which will be great for mods. Of course it's a tiny little engine - and this is coming from a guy who maintains his own Powerstroke 6.0L so...
The Bad / Not Great
  • Biggest gripe - I think the level / lift and very aggressive tires are really doing this vehicle a disservice for those who were hoping to experience the now expected "amazing" suspension and ride quality of the Bronco. The tires are so aggressive that you feel every lug at low speed / turning in parking lots etc and they are a little less "connected" to the road. If you know you know. The level / lift takes the already lower grade Big Bend suspension and does not make it better. My wife and I both thought the on-road ride smoothness over rough highway was equivalent to her parents' Rubicon. Not what we were hoping for but we knew that's probably what we were going to expect with the rig modified the way it was. Note that these comments are not addressing the steering quality here - steering is head and shoulders above the Wrangler even with these "appearance mods".
  • Power was "adequate". Nothing more. Wish I could've spent more time learning how to keep the engine in the power band.
  • If you live on gravel roads and are averse to letting dust into your vehicle, the soft top is not for you. Not only do you notice dust on the top more, but also I think it probably doesn't seal as well in the tailgate area, meaning the tailgate and sealing borders will get more dusty.
  • The soft was VERY loud compared to the hard top with sound deadening headliner. Not even close.
  • The stereo does not sound good. I didn't even bother turning it up because quality was bad even at low relatively quiet levels
  • I recently saw the new thread on whistling sound on the Big Bend. THIS THING ABSOLUTELY WHISTLED! To us it sounded more like it was coming from the driver's mirror area, but could be wrong and maybe it was actually the grille/hood. All I know is that it was really dang noticeable - and to spoil the punchline - the Wildtrak had ZERO whistle.

The Good

• This thing is where it's AT!!!!! If we didn't have such a large family - I would be 2-door all the way.
  • I cannot overstate how damn awesome the suspension is tuned on this thing. It was NOT EVEN CLOSE in comparison to the modified BB we had. You could easily throw it around, it was playful, significantly more smooth in rough road/highway, connected to the road, predictable etc. etc. THIS is what we were expecting from the highly touted handling of the new Bronco - NOT EVEN CLOSE to the Wrangler Rubicon
  • The 12" screen BLEW US AWAY. Period. I would be unhappy now if I had settled for the 8".
  • **We are not audiophiles. Our newest vehicle is an '04 Camry ;)** The B&O system was REALLY GREAT. I loved cranking that thing up and it was extremely satisfying and blew away the systems in our current vehicles. I really don't know what people are complaining about with this system being "junk". They're crazy. Or we're just uneducated :) Also - I do suspect there is a huge impact of the shorter cabin of the 2-door with nice MIC top and sound deadening
  • The cabin noise WAS WAY BETTER than the softop - as expected. Not hardly any wind noise.
  • ZERO whistling
  • MIC Top finish quality - excellent. Didn't look at it with a microscope, but have faith, it is really a nice top when executed correctly. Maybe I picked up on some of the "snake skin" appearance just slightly, but honestly it looks like it was expected to be there and it wouldn't have bothered me in the least if it were mine.
  • AT - If we didn't like manuals so much and weren't looking to save several thousand on our Badlands build, I would go with the AT. It seems like that would be really nice to me.
  • I rode in the back with my daughter. After you get back there, it is SUPER comfortable. At 6'6" I could've ridden back there all day and been fine.
The Not-so-awesome
  • When sitting in the back, I noticed a little wind noise at the seam / junction of the top panels where they meet up between the front and the back on the driver side kind of right behind the driver's head. What was interesting, was that I never heard anything while I was driving, but when I went to the back while my wife drove, I did notice it. So really it's not a big deal.
  • When stroking your hand on the sound deadening headliner, it did release a lot of "fuzz" or dust particles. Like it wasn't clean or or like it was losing material. Feels nice, looks nice, but man I didn't like seeing the dust come out of it like that.
Conclusion
  • If you are like us and are going for the best possible ride quality - DO NOT go throwing leveling lifts on lower grade suspensions. Stick with Badlands / Sasquatch suspension packages and leave them stock until you're absolutely convinced you want to change. The engineers REALLY NAILED IT with the Sasquatch package, and I'm guessing the Badlands package too. YOU WILL EFF IT UP IF YOU CHANGE IT. I would be really patient before changing your suspension / tire setup.
  • If you value the creature comforts like the tech, interior sound levels, engine performance - you get what you pay for
  • Lower trim levels with a Sasquatch package ARE GOING TO BE A STEAL. You will not find a better riding off-road rig at the price point than a Basesquatch
PS - What a great place to work with, and what a great memorial to the late Albert Schmitz. Granger you're a class act:

Was the driver stepping on the gas in either 4H or 4L Crawler Gear?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all,

The Good

• Looks badass
The Bad / Not Great

The Good

• ZERO whistling
The Not-so-awesome
Conclusion

Excellent, well-thought out post.

Sponsored

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Now I want to see a comparison next to a base 7 speed in 4 lo with the stock tires lol
Not to mention an example of crawl in 2h

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes - that would be nice! Smaller tires and different gearing.

Was the driver stepping on the gas in either 4H or 4L Crawler Gear?
No. Foot off the gas the entire time in both ranges.

Excellent, well-thought out post.
Appreciate it! Hope it was helpful.

Not to mention an example of crawl in 2h
The ground speed in 2Hi and 4Hi are equivalent.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

giphy.gif

KEM IA

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice write up! The wife and I will be at Granger on Saturday to test drive the same two Broncos. I figured the BB would be a rougher ride but wanted to test out the manual.

Last edited:

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Great tutorial Vince, thank you. As is was said, Granger @Granger Ford @Zach@Granger is a class act. I so love the memorial to Albert, and will certainly take a picture of mine next to that great painting when it's delivered.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I drove a Badlands with 2.3/MT yesterday (4-door, optional tire package) for about 45 minutes. Power was just fine for the application when keeping it in any sort of reasonable RPM band.

My first pull onto the highway was shifting by sound and I was under the torque curve and it was still fine for a heavy vehicle, just not "brisk". Finally found the miniature tachometer and did a second pull keeping revs closer to 5K RPM and it was great.

2.3 engine is just fine for Bronco. No issues. If you think it should be as fast as a sports car or you intend to take your Bronco to the drag strip (OMFG, why????), then you'll probably want the 2.7. But then again, if that was the goal, you would only be able to drive an automatic anyway so it's a moot point.

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drove a Badlands with 2.3/MT yesterday (4-door, optional tire package) for about 45 minutes. Power was just fine for the application when keeping it in any sort of reasonable RPM band.

My first pull onto the highway was shifting by sound and I was under the torque curve and it was still fine for a heavy vehicle, just not "brisk". Finally found the miniature tachometer and did a second pull keeping revs closer to 5K RPM and it was great.

2.3 engine is just fine for Bronco. No issues. If you think it should be as fast as a sports car or you intend to take your Bronco to the drag strip (OMFG, why????), then you'll probably want the 2.7. But then again, if that was the goal, you would only be able to drive an automatic anyway so it's a moot point.
Spot on with my assessment. I thoroughly enjoyed the manual so much that I changed my order.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I drove a 7MT 4Dr badlands with the soft top. It had the KO2s on it, and I thought the noise level was good enough for regular conversation at 70mph. M/Ts and maybe even the Territory MTs may be a factor here.

My non-Squatch Badlands ride experience was similar / maybe a little better but not significant to my JK (on Bilstein 5100s).

Need to drive a Squatch to check on tire noise and ride versus the Badlands I drove.

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice write up! The wife and I will be at Granger on Saturday to test drive the same two Broncos. I figured the BB would be a rougher ride but wanted to test out the manual.
That's precisely the reason we wanted to drive the BB. I was really hoping we'd get a drive in before they lifted it and put on the bigger tires but didn't happen. Even if you're not planning on getting a 2-door/WT, I would highly recommend driving it anyway just because it's such a different experience.

This is exactly what happened to me too. I'm very used to shifting by sound with my Camry, but the Bronco was actually so much quieter in the engine noise department that I was all out of whack. Had no idea where I was shifting until I started watching the tach.

Then, honestly I started to get really disappointed that it didn't have a traditional analog tach... That digital layout they chose is just not well suited for the manual...

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all,

Ford Bronco Crawler Gear Speed Video and Granger Mannequins Test Drives giphy

The Good

• Looks badass
The Bad / Not Great

The Good

• ZERO whistling
The Not-so-awesome
Conclusion

Best review yet!
As someone who ordered a non squatch BL and keep thinking I want a lift and those bigger tires, this review sealed it for me!
Thanks for that...I will stick with my stock BL

Love the Granger mural ..
Sponsored