Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The wife and I headed North from DFW to visit the Cross Bar Ranch Off Road Park in Davis, Oklahoma yesterday. We figured the sleet and ice had melted enough to check it out.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 IMG_6694

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 CBRanch

Since we were alone and the trails were slick with mud coupled with the fact that we weren't familiar with the trails we decided to stick to the main road and the easiest parts of the trails.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 CBRanchMa

Check-in is at the entrance to the park, visible from the road. If they are closed, there's a drop-box available to pay and you can fill the waiver out online.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 IMG_6673

The trails are not rated, except "Main Road", "Easy" and "Challenging". So, without a numbered rating, I'd recommend going with someone that's been through the trails or spending quite a bit of time scouting.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 IMG_6683

We were caught off guard when an "easy" trail we were going down quickly became what would be a hard 5 for a full sized vehicle. I don't know if the trail is always in this condition, or if the melting snow caused a small landslide but the trail washed out into boulders with a sheer drop off on the other side. I could see where ATVs and a couple of motor cycles went around the obstacle through the trees nearby, but there wasn't enough clearance for us to go take the alternate path.

Since we were alone we backtracked up the trail to the trail head and explored other areas of the park. We'll come back and check out "Dead Man's Slide" on another day. If we were reading the map correctly, that's the trail we were on.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 IMG_6679

There are some nice vistas through out, and you can get up pretty high in some areas, especially as you're coming into the main camp.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 IMG_6676

There are some areas of the park that are dual sloping. Some areas were as much as 14* sideways.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 1

The GoPro doesn't do this angle justice.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 1 (3)

There are lots of places to wheel, and quite a few places to crawl. Most of the trails are very scenic and double back onto other parts of the park or lead to the primitive campground areas.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 1 (4)

All in all it's pretty accessible and stuff like this dots the grounds if you're looking for a little bit of fun without too much worry.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 1 (1)

All that being said, we did NOT go on any of the "Challenging" trails, and the most narrow trails we went down were easy to back out of when we got to obstacles we didn't want to solo wheel in the mud, cold and ice.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 IMG_6684

We finally saw signs of other folks out playing as we were leaving the park. There were some hidden trails off to the left that these folks could fit down and it looked like they were having a blast.

Just down from this bend there is a staging area to unload UTVs and motorcycles.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 IMG_6686

All-in-all a fun little mud trip for the day. If you're planning on going and exploring the deeper trails, I recommend taking a buddy with recovery gear. Some of these trails are easily 3,4 and 5 rated and I saw a few areas where someone could get stuck pretty easily.

Ford Bronco Cross Bar Ranch, Davis, OK.  After the Thaw, 2/6/22 IMG_6689

We're going to head back soon. Of course we'll be looking for others to join us and hopefully we can reach some of those trails that are off the beaten path.
Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great report!

Mad Martigan

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and 1 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll join you if we ever get out Bronco! From Tulsa.

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome!! I'm in Tulsa and have never been to that park. It looks inviting, and I really hope somebody can get a group together to check it all out. I'd be in for it.

OP
OP
R.A.N.M.J.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome!! I'm in Tulsa and have never been to that park. It looks inviting, and I really hope somebody can get a group together to check it all out. I'd be in for it.
Definitely! We absolutely plan on going back. We may even camp out a couple of nights there.

They're hosting the KoH Ultra 4 later in the year too. :D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ7/F250/F550 4x4 RV/Porsche Panamera/CanAm X3 RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice write up and pictures. I’m just sad mine’s not here yet and I wasn’t the first one to write the Crossbar Bronco report 😂. I go there a lot in my Jeep and you’re right, it’s a completely different experience if you go with someone who knows the park. It’s over 10 square miles. There are people who go there every week and still haven’t seen it all.

There’s also a trail system that connects it to Turner Falls, another park (non offroad) with beautiful waterfalls.

When I get my Bronco we’ll set up a Bronco trail ride day at Crossbar. We’ll go to all the right trails and spots. If you’re on Facebook follow their page.

Also, the Ultra4 Nationals (King of the Hammers series) is held there in October. All the Ford race Broncos compete there and it’s awesome. Can’t miss event.

Sponsored

Scopebit

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the PNW now but grew up in Norman, OK. Glad to hear they have that park down in Davis. When we drive to see my Mom, we'll check it out for sure. Some of the prettiest parts of Oklahoma too. Thanks for posting!

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The wife and I headed North from DFW to visit the Cross Bar Ranch Off Road Park in Davis, Oklahoma yesterday. We figured the sleet and ice had melted enough to check it out.

Since we were alone and the trails were slick with mud coupled with the fact that we weren't familiar with the trails we decided to stick to the main road and the easiest parts of the trails.

Check-in is at the entrance to the park, visible from the road. If they are closed, there's a drop-box available to pay and you can fill the waiver out online.

The trails are not rated, except "Main Road", "Easy" and "Challenging". So, without a numbered rating, I'd recommend going with someone that's been through the trails or spending quite a bit of time scouting.

We were caught off guard when an "easy" trail we were going down quickly became what would be a hard 5 for a full sized vehicle. I don't know if the trail is always in this condition, or if the melting snow caused a small landslide but the trail washed out into boulders with a sheer drop off on the other side. I could see where ATVs and a couple of motor cycles went around the obstacle through the trees nearby, but there wasn't enough clearance for us to go take the alternate path.

Since we were alone we backtracked up the trail to the trail head and explored other areas of the park. We'll come back and check out "Dead Man's Slide" on another day. If we were reading the map correctly, that's the trail we were on.

There are some nice vistas through out, and you can get up pretty high in some areas, especially as you're coming into the main camp.

There are some areas of the park that are dual sloping. Some areas were as much as 14* sideways.

The GoPro doesn't do this angle justice.

There are lots of places to wheel, and quite a few places to crawl. Most of the trails are very scenic and double back onto other parts of the park or lead to the primitive campground areas.

All in all it's pretty accessible and stuff like this dots the grounds if you're looking for a little bit of fun without too much worry.

All that being said, we did NOT go on any of the "Challenging" trails, and the most narrow trails we went down were easy to back out of when we got to obstacles we didn't want to solo wheel in the mud, cold and ice.

We finally saw signs of other folks out playing as we were leaving the park. There were some hidden trails off to the left that these folks could fit down and it looked like they were having a blast.

Just down from this bend there is a staging area to unload UTVs and motorcycles.

All-in-all a fun little mud trip for the day. If you're planning on going and exploring the deeper trails, I recommend taking a buddy with recovery gear. Some of these trails are easily 3,4 and 5 rated and I saw a few areas where someone could get stuck pretty easily.

We're going to head back soon. Of course we'll be looking for others to join us and hopefully we can reach some of those trails that are off the beaten path.
Thanks for the heads up! This is practically in my back yard. On my to do list now!!! Thank you.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll probably be out there on Saturday if anyone wants to join in!

RPHCOLTEX

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Looks like fun. I went out to Bridgeport before the little ice storm and did the same thing. I was on my own and didn't know the park so I kept to the easy stuff. I'd be happy to join up for any DFW area rides but I'm not on Facebook.

OP
OP
R.A.N.M.J.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like fun. I went out to Bridgeport before the little ice storm and did the same thing. I was on my own and didn't know the park so I kept to the easy stuff. I'd be happy to join up for any DFW area rides but I'm not on Facebook.
I'm not on FaceBook either, but I did start a DFW Bronco Club here on the forums.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/groups/dfw-bronco-club.108/

I'll be posting there and inviting others to join us the next time we go.

Edit: We're also planning a trip to Barnwell Mountain. It's a little closer to DFW than Davis, OK but they're only open Thurs-Sun and they gate the park after 8 pm. So, a little extra planning is required.
Sponsored