Sponsored

Cross country destinations; Hot Springs in the wild of USA/Canada bonus if I can 4X4 to them

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You and the wife could have a great time at the hot springs outside of Black Rock City in late August.

Nevada is home to the most hot springs of any state.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CarolinaOverlander
First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon XL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was just about to suggest he should contact sjp! My favs are the clothing optional ones. Not just because of the “heehee’s” but they are less commercial.
at radium, I parked at the parking lot and walked in, never drove past the parking lot.. I noticed trucks going passed the parking lot. What is beyond the parking lot on the road? Anything note worthy. Does it lead to where you can drive on the land around radium or is the parking lot the closest public are cars are allowed.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was just about to suggest he should contact sjp! My favs are the clothing optional ones. Not just because of the “heehee’s” but they are less commercial.
heehee

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in CA - we have easy access to the Sierra Nevada mountain range ... but beyond that, there's not a lot other than suburbia nearby. I have been following the Rebelle Rally currently going on in the CA/NV desert near Death Valley - there are a couple Bronco Sports competing and doing very well in their class (one of them may win), and it's opening my eyes to the amazing deserts of Nevada and Death Valley.... I cannot wait to get out there and do some exploring!!! Might actually be able to put the "Baja mode" to work :)

steevenk

Black Diamond
First Name
kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '14 Subaru Forester XT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm looking for new cross country destinations to travel and camp around in my new BL/BD. I will be leaving from South Carolina, but the destination can be thousands of miles away. We love the outdoors and seeing new places. I've done one cross country trip to Wyoming and one to Colorado. If you have a gem you don't mind sharing, I would love to hear about them. Bonus points for being able to go down a dirt road in the back country by a trout stream, a hot spring, or something somewhere that I will remember even when I have dementia. I'll even trade my favorite locations.
IMG_2650.jpg

My favorite I have found is Radium Hot Springs in Colorado along the Colorado River. Its a scenic dirt road drive up the mountain for miles to get to the trail. Incredible views. I was in a car so I parked at the camp and parking area. You then hike up a short (100yards) but challenging hill and from there you're on a plateau that easy walking all the way to the Colorado River. You arrive to the most incredible view overlooking the river to set up camp. You then can walk down steps carved out of rock to the edge of the river where people have taken the rocks and made a hot tub. My only regret was not putting a fishing pole in my hand while I sat in the hot tub. This cant be the only place on earth like this. Someone give me another incredible memory. My wife is all about new places. Also stop by the Platte River in Deckers, CO incredible views with trout dreams to be made. Wife did catch the largest, but i caught the most.. Damn her ;)
Have you ever looked up stuff along the TransAmerica Trail? Should come close to you and cross country is the name of the game with this one.

Or the Kentucky trails? Kentucky Adventure Trail?

Sponsored

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

at radium, I parked at the parking lot and walked in, never drove past the parking lot.. I noticed trucks going passed the parking lot. What is beyond the parking lot on the road? Anything note worthy. Does it lead to where you can drive on the land around radium or is the parking lot the closest public are cars are allowed.
You can park on the left at the OC Mugrage campground, cross the road, and hike to the hot springs or drive up the 4x4 road and park on the right for a shorter hike. But no, you cannot drive around the hot spring. It's actually a state wildlife area.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mine too!

Worth noting is that nearly half - twenty-two out of forty-seven, the last time I visited them - have clothing-optional areas, days, or times, or are clothing-optional throughout the facility (and of course, at most wild ones, Radium being the exception because of all the rafters floating by, and Penny, 'cause it's so close to the highway), every day, and all the time!

You've all been warned.

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mine too!

Worth noting is that nearly half - twenty-two out of forty-seven, the last time I visited them - have clothing-optional areas, days, or times, or are clothing-optional throughout the facility (and of course, at most wild ones, Radium being the exception because of all the rafters floating by, and Penny, 'cause it's so close to the highway), every day, and all the time!

You've all been warned.
Today would be a perfect day! Cold and cloudy! I’m cancelling all my Zoom meetings!

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Today would be a perfect day! Cold and cloudy! I’m cancelling all my Zoom meetings!
Go for it, man! Today is a perfect day for the hot springs. Some snow would make it even better. I have six hours of conference calls and I'm leading all of them, so no hot springs for me :-(

Will make up for it tomorrow on the Comanche-Venable-Phantom Terrace loop. Maybe a dip in one of those icy lakes.

It really sucks, here in Colorado. Nuthin' to do. All day to do it.

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Go for it, man! Today is a perfect day for the hot springs. Some snow would make it even better. I have six hours of conference calls and I'm leading all of them, so no hot springs for me :-(

Will make up for it tomorrow on the Comanche-Venable-Phantom Terrace loop. Maybe a dip in one of those icy lakes.

It really sucks, here in Colorado. Nuthin' to do. All day to do it.
I know sjp, boring ugly state with no activities. You talked me into it! Who needs money anyway?
IS that loop in the SDC range? Ill have to check it out.

Reactions: sjp

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know sjp, boring ugly state with no activities. You talked me into it! Who needs money anyway?
IS that loop in the SDC range? Ill have to check it out.
Yep, Westcliffe. Some 13ers up there too, if I have the time and the energy to get'em. It's a big hike!
Sponsored