Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Who has driven a manual with cruise control lately? How well did it function? I had an '89 F150 5.0 5 spd and never liked the cruise. Since I can't drive 5 miles from home on a highway without significant hills downshifting is a must. With the F150 the cruise would disengage when I hit the clutch, problem: there was a little lag and the engine would over rev before shutting down. Then I would have to reengage after the hill. It got to the point I manually disengaged cruise before a hill or just didn't bother with cruise. PITA
Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ACC functions great with stick on the current VW's. hopefully ford's implementation is just as good. It stays working even when working through the gears and doesn't shutdown until a pretty low speed (or you hit the brakes)

joshofthefall

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Scion tC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
'06 tC here, 5 speed with cruise. I commuted 170 miles round trip for a year and a half so cruise was my best friend at that time and it worked as you'd expect. That said I also live in Illinois so I can't say I have the most experience with these "hills" you speak of. ?

OP
OP
dgorsett

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I guess that's my question: how does it handle the downshift?, Over Rev? Completely shuts down cruise? Leaves cruise engaged in new gear?

Sponsored

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a Scion FR-S with Manual and Cruise. That car had little low end grunt so cruising at low RPM could be a bit of a challenge on a big hill. Small hills had no more effect than you would see in an Automatic. The trip I took most often had a 6 degree slope at one point on the trip and I would shift down, which disengaged cruise, before hitting the hill. One touch on the steering wheel control re-engaged after I reached the crest.

mikeandmiki

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-350 Platinum, '16 Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Challenger Hellcat 6 spd and cruise works great. I use it a lot to keep myself out of trouble.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've never owned an automatic

Cruise control is for the gear you are in
If you shift, it disengages just as if you tapped the brake

It works great, and unless your car is really wimpy having to downshift on a hill isn't that common on the freeway.

Re engaging is just a button on the wheel or a tap of a stalk, mega easy

My cars will brake on downhill on their own with cruise so they don't turn into missiles on a downhill.

MentalBill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Toyota Tundra, Yamaha WR250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Challenger Hellcat 6 spd and cruise works great. I use it a lot to keep myself out of trouble.
100% on long drives. Just set the max and enjoy the sites. Still need to downshift on hills. Pushing in the clutch without canceling the cruse is a mistake that only happens once. Hopefully..

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
100% on long drives. Just set the max and enjoy the sites. Still need to downshift on hills. Pushing in the clutch without canceling the cruse is a mistake that only happens once. Hopefully..
Whaaa? It'll just rev to heaven?
Mine doesn't work like that ?

Sponsored

mikeandmiki

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-350 Platinum, '16 Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
True. Even though the clutch does cancel the cruise it does rev slightly

Aggro

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2001 Porsche Boxster S with a 6-Speed. I love the cruise control on this thing. Idk what it is about new vehicles but they tend to lose speed on curves or going up the mountains while on cruise control. Meanwhile my speedo stays where i set it until i turn it off or die. Not sure if that's concerning or awesome :ROFLMAO:

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
21 year old corvette with a 6-speed and cruise; never had a problem with it.

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
16 Focus 5 speed. No issues with cruise. Get to your speed and set it. Cruise come off when you press the brake or the clutch. Big hills you have to down shift to go up, but I'm talking serious mountain roads.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’ve currently got both a manual car and a motorcycle that have cruise control. And have driven multiple other newer manuals with cruise control. I haven’t had any issues with it. And depending on the vehicle might not even have to downshift for most hills(unless ya really mean mountains). Never over revved the engine when hitting the clutch either, newer ones tend to be a lot more sensitive and disengage cruise a lot quicker. But guess it depends on the manufacturer how well it really works. Cruise on my camaro is on the steering wheel buttons, simple push to turn it on and set it, then can adjust speed up or down with arrow buttons. Rarely *need* to downshift unless actually stopping. But cancels cruise without issue when I do downshift. Or simple steering wheel button pressed with thumb to cancel.
Sponsored