Sponsored

Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans?

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Stick Shift Index: Do People Still Drive Stick Shift Cars in ...
https://www.carmax.com › articles › stick-shift-index

I guess the manual is the clear choice since 2.4% of the cars sold had them.
Or would that be 97.6% of the people that bought the automatic didn't know what they were doing?

I know, I know, I know- "But if I they had one available for my mini van I would have gotten it!"
What do the numbers look like in Europe? In Asia? I believe the automatic tranny only dominates sales in N. America.
Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What do the numbers look like in Europe? In Asia? I believe the automatic tranny only dominates sales in N. America.
I live here.
Where do you live?

I didn't write the article. Sometime's this evolution thing is a hard pill to swallow. You don't have to like it.
It's just the facts.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live here.
Where do you live?

I didn't write the article. Sometime's this evolution thing is a hard pill to swallow. You don't have to like it.
It's just the facts.
Not sure what you’re aggro about - I was simply asking what the ratio looks like globally as I’m curious. Read my previous posts, I own auto tranny vehicles…and I find them “meh” to drive. Not sure what you’re suggesting I like or don’t like, especially when you can get both in the Bronco.

That’s just the facts.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Automatic transmissions can't see the road, read the traffic, and don't know the intent of the driver when he wants to shift.

No harder to understand than that.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Or would that be 97.6% of the people that bought the automatic didn't know what they were doing?

I know, I know, I know- "But if I they had one available for my mini van I would have gotten it!"
I have driven second (or third, or fourth, or...)-hand vehicles all my life, this will be my first new purchase. I could have afforded a new purchase since 2006, but I was content to drive used Ford junk so I could accomplish life goals faster than being a slave to debt. Now that I can buy whatever I want new, I am choosing a manual Bronco because I'd have it no other way. If you have a problem with a minority view on life, I suggest you look inward...

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i've had to order all my stick shift vehicles because the local dealers prefer to have automatics on the lots for those impulse buys.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ya…..to all the ones moaning about the “computer“ shifting for you……yep it sure does and does a real good job of it……but if you want to shift it just put it into manual mode and use the +- button to pick and choose what gear and when you want it to be in. Modern auto boxes are the best of both world…….me thinks all these “die hards” just like hanging on to a “stick” and “jerking“ it back and forth! 😬😃🤪
If you truly understood a manual transmission, you would never think they are "the best of both worlds". Nothing is further from the truth.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i've had to order all my stick shift vehicles because the local dealers prefer to have automatics on the lots for those impulse buys.
I remember when the Lincoln LS came out. A 3-Series fighter! Went to the local Lincoln dealer (across the street from the BMW dealer). Not one manual LS to test drive. Salesman to me, "no one buys them, so we don't stock them. You'd have to order it." Me to Salesman, "Well if a person can't test drive a manual version, how do you expect him to want to buy one with a manual."

20 years later with the Caddy ATS... same stupid argument.

Ronaldo

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71bronco67cvMustangFFRCobra97Viper93RX7R1
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are a few good reasons to go with the manual.
1st you save $1,895
2nd Sticks are fun to drive.
3rd. It a millennials theft device.
4th. The bronco 10 speed is the weaker version.
5th. If the 10 speed breaks it will cost a fortune.
6th. Usually if something goes wrong with a manual trans it’s just a clutch replacement
7th. They are just cool

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Automatic transmissions can't see the road, read the traffic, and don't know the intent of the driver when he wants to shift.

No harder to understand than that.
There's more to understand than just that.

With today's modern autos with 10 (or whatever) speeds seeing the road, reading the traffic, and intent aren't as important as they were when autos were 3, 4, 5 speeds.

While to some "gear hunting" or being in the "wrong gear" in an auto may be annoying the motor and transmission don't really care much unless you're really driving the shit out of it.

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I remember when the Lincoln LS came out. A 3-Series fighter! Went to the local Lincoln dealer (across the street from the BMW dealer). Not one manual LS to test drive. Salesman to me, "no one buys them, so we don't stock them. You'd have to order it." Me to Salesman, "Well if a person can't test drive a manual version, how do you expect him to want to buy one with a manual."

20 years later with the Caddy ATS... same stupid argument.
Yah I’m with you here but the funny thing is Ford has 190K+ orders, some manual and most with automatics that almost no one has seen let alone driven one.
You tell me…

Last edited:

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yah I’m with you here but the funny thing is Ford has 190K+ orders, some manual and most with automatics that almost no one has seen let alone driven.
You tell me…
the magic combination of the 2.7L with stick would probably significantly shift the proportion.

here in the states, a larger engine is more appealing than a stick shift.

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's more to understand than just that.

With today's modern autos with 10 (or whatever) speeds seeing the road, reading the traffic, and intent aren't as important as they were when autos were 3, 4, 5 speeds.

While to some "gear hunting" or being in the "wrong gear" in an auto may be annoying the motor and transmission don't really care much unless you're really driving the shit out of it.
I am a big fan of the 10sp, however i find that it's shift logic to sometimes be more than annoying. In particular, it always selects the wrong gear on a heavy cambered onramp that I use on my way home from work. I find myself paddle-shifting down a gear (2020 Explorer), otherwise it lugs the motor not allowing for a smooth transition onto the interstate.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are a few good reasons to go with the manual.
1st you save $1,895
2nd Sticks are fun to drive.
3rd. It a millennials theft device.
4th. The bronco 10 speed is the weaker version.
5th. If the 10 speed breaks it will cost a fortune.
6th. Usually if something goes wrong with a manual trans it’s just a clutch replacement
7th. They are just cool
Other than number 1 they are all just opinions.
Your forgetting resale if that matters to you. It might not but if It does you have to find the 2.4 percentile that want it.

I have owned both over the years and still have a 6 sp. that is entertaining to drive at times but there is absolutely no way I could ever come to terms of a using it for a daily driver. That’s just my little opinion.
If you can great 👍

Last edited:

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have driven second (or third, or fourth, or...)-hand vehicles all my life, this will be my first new purchase. I could have afforded a new purchase since 2006, but I was content to drive used Ford junk so I could accomplish life goals faster than being a slave to debt. Now that I can buy whatever I want new, I am choosing a manual Bronco because I'd have it no other way. If you have a problem with a minority view on life, I suggest you look inward...
I couldn’t care less about what you drive. I’m not telling you to do anything. You are telling me.
I am just sharing facts of the evolution from shifting to not.

You don’t have to like change but you can’t stop it…
Sponsored