Sponsored

Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans?

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious why a manual is so important. I know, some people like stick shift trans, but why in a Bronco? Do you get a stick in all of your other cars and trucks? Not trying to start a stick vs auto debate (but a good discussion is fine), but I've seen so many comments about a manual I'm wonder what folks reasoning is.

Part of my question is that for almost ever there has been a perception that a manual is better off road. However, this perception is almost entirely folks who have little off road experience. Experience shows that an auto has many advantages over a stick off road. So, what the heck, why do so many folks want a stick Bronco?
total control of shift points, engine RPMs and it's just MUCH more fun!
Sponsored

5Limporteater

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q8 2018 Audi A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

adding to the list here. the Bronco is for my wife, she refuses to drive an automatic, she has had a couple autos in the past and hates them. she says with an automatic you are pointing the car and with the manual you are driving it. kind of makes sense. We are going with the Bronco because its a manual you can take the roof off of and throw the kid and the dog in...oh and the Jeep is terrible, so not a lot of options there.

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Let me explain it this way - two kids sitting in a chair mimicking driving a car. First kid's father drives a manual - this kid has his left arm and hand out in front of him and while making a br-r-p-p, br-r-p-p, br-r-p-p, br-r-p-p, br-r-p-p, br-r-p-p sound with his lips and mouth moves his right arm and hand in six different spots - with a big smile on his face. Second kid's father drives an automatic - this kid has his left arm and hand out in front of him - and that's it. Which kid is having the most fun? :)

Last edited:

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So about the wife thing. We just went on vacation to Ohio. My brother has a couple year old Stingray 7spd. We took it around what in my pizza delivery and H.S. days I called my racetrack. Its about 8 miles of country roads loop between my old school and town. Has some fun twisties, a couple hills, and some good straights. This was easily the fastest car I had driven on these roads, Maverick was fast but not like the vette. So when my wifes turn came up. She went around the loop backwards mostly because she just didnt know the roads. Its not quite as fun in that direction but still good. However the main thing for a manual is that it has 2 limited sight distance stop sign intersections that are on a good uphill slope. Now my brother told me it has some techno hill hold feature if you push some button or such. However when we got to those intersections my wife just did the work a breezed right through as she should. So shes good with a manual right? You bet. Awesome. But the interesting fact of that is that she hasnt driven a manual for over 5 years and that was a CJ7 with a T5 and a wonky shifter. Also she went through 2 years of cancer treatment that saw her lose all of the lymph nodes in her shifting arm and have all sorts of strange right arm issues. Aswell as neuropathy in her hands from the chemo that gives her weird hand issues.

Yet she shifted it like a freaking boss, and I fell in love with her all over again. So yeah we are getting manual, and its largely so I can see how damn hot my wife will look driving it!

BE5OME1

Base
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 SXT 4x4, 1967 Mustang, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nostalgia and I drive 3500-4000m a month in a 2.7L Auto 10sp .....weekend fun mobile will be a 7sp.

Sponsored

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So about the wife thing. We just went on vacation to Ohio. My brother has a couple year old Stingray 7spd. We took it around what in my pizza delivery and H.S. days I called my racetrack. Its about 8 miles of country roads loop between my old school and town. Has some fun twisties, a couple hills, and some good straights. This was easily the fastest car I had driven on these roads, Maverick was fast but not like the vette. So when my wifes turn came up. She went around the loop backwards mostly because she just didnt know the roads. Its not quite as fun in that direction but still good. However the main thing for a manual is that it has 2 limited sight distance stop sign intersections that are on a good uphill slope. Now my brother told me it has some techno hill hold feature if you push some button or such. However when we got to those intersections my wife just did the work a breezed right through as she should. So shes good with a manual right? You bet. Awesome. But the interesting fact of that is that she hasnt driven a manual for over 5 years and that was a CJ7 with a T5 and a wonky shifter. Also she went through 2 years of cancer treatment that saw her lose all of the lymph nodes in her shifting arm and have all sorts of strange right arm issues. Aswell as neuropathy in her hands from the chemo that gives her weird hand issues.

Yet she shifted it like a freaking boss, and I fell in love with her all over again. So yeah we are getting manual, and its largely so I can see how damn hot my wife will look driving it!
I love this post. And I love that you have such a hot wife that is a survivor and can still row her own gears. :love:

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Best anti-theft device you can get in a vehicle. Most thieves have no idea how to drive one...
starting a car without a key is no small feat...

if they get to your keys somehow, thats another story.

your average car thief will just nab the cat or rims, the rest is a liability.

If your a serious car theft ring, you can drag it onto a flatbed.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Virtually the same transmission (10r80 in Ranger, 10r60 in Bronco..?), so I'm expecting the lurch to follow me into the new Bronco. Good news is there is no truck bed to slam at least.
I was poking around forddiscountparts.com and saw a complete Ranger 10R80 4x4 automatic transmission is the better part of $4,000 out the door after shipping and tax, depending on locality. Woof.

Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Let me explain it this way - two kids sitting in a chair mimicking driving a car. First kid's father drives a manual - this kid has his left arm and hand out in front of him and while making a br-r-p-p, br-r-p-p, br-r-p-p, br-r-p-p, br-r-p-p, br-r-p-p sound with his lips and mouth moves his right arm and hand in six different spots - with a big smile on his face. Second kid's father drives an automatic - this kid has his left arm and hand out in front of him - and that's it. Which kid is having the most fun? :)
Third kid is building Legos and doing other cool shit.

Audi’s Grand Sphere Concept is a Luxurious, Roomy Self-Driving Sedan

https://www.marketwatch.com/article...n-01631137976?siteid=bigcharts&dist=bigcharts

jaws72

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport & '08Ford F-150 FX2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Because you can’t even get a sports car with a stick nowadays, might as well have the transmission correct for serious off-roading.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This will be my first bronco, it’s going to be our family adventure vehicle. I hope 10 years down the road I can order a two door to take me well into retirement. I had my share of manuals between GTIs and track day motorcycles and the bronco isn’t even remotely fast enough for me to desire stick shift.

DJN1985

Base
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Super Duty 7.3, ZF6, 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
1st, because i prefer manuals. 2nd, Because a 10R60 at work went out at 4,500 miles... hate driving them. Laggy, can't decide what gear it wants to be in, and stalls.
Sponsored