Sponsored

Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans?

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can't do it. There is too much traffic around the Charlotte area and my knee only has so much life to give. I can't be rowing through gears while dealing with these Jams in the area.
Sponsored

Roadeyes

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My cars:
1971 VW Fastback
1976 Saab 99
1975 VW Rabbit
1985 VW GTI
1988 VW GTI
1951 Ford F1
1999 Ford F150
2005 Mini Cooper S
2007 Toyota FJ
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

These were all manuals. All were fun to drive, even if some were a serious workout. Also, maybe coincidentally, by far the least expensive to own.

Also own/owned:
1998 MB C220
2013 MB C300
2013 BMW X5
2017 VW Tiguan

Ugh. All automatics significantly influenced by wife and daughter. The Tiguan is OK, but the others have been crazy expensive and disappointing. I never took/take them out just for a drive. Don't/won't miss them when they are gone. I do miss nearly every one of those manuals. Would love to have the FJ and Fastback back in my driveway today. So much fun to drive. I have great stories about the manuals, sad lamentable stories about the automatics.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Part of the key is the transition from taking your right foot off the brake and applying the gas. If the left foot is on the brake there is no transition. Also could not be controlled with a manual, as there isn't a foot to hold the brake as the clutch is released and gas applied.
Learn how to heel-toe
Ford Bronco Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans? images

Rizz512

Base
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Zo6, Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I love manuals in the right car paired with the right engine. I'm still undecided on a manual on the bronco but leaning towards auto. I get the love for manuals but it's not like you are red line shifting a sports car. I feel like it will be a typical truck transmission. I love banging gears in my zo6 but I don't feel the need to do so in 5000lb truck that isn't meant for speed or redline shifts. The whole macho vibe from some people for the manual on the bronco is funny.

Sponsored

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious why a manual is so important. I know, some people like stick shift trans, but why in a Bronco? Do you get a stick in all of your other cars and trucks? Not trying to start a stick vs auto debate (but a good discussion is fine), but I've seen so many comments about a manual I'm wonder what folks reasoning is.

Part of my question is that for almost ever there has been a perception that a manual is better off road. However, this perception is almost entirely folks who have little off road experience. Experience shows that an auto has many advantages over a stick off road. So, what the heck, why do so many folks want a stick Bronco?
I’m curious as well. I’ve had cars and SUVs with manual, auto and even SMG (paddle shifted manual). Auto seems like the obvious choice for an off-road vehicle. If I was getting a classic sports car, a manual would probably be my choice, and a modern performance car… paddle shifted manual.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m curious as well. I’ve had cars and SUVs with manual, auto and even SMG (paddle shifted manual). Auto seems like the obvious choice for an off-road vehicle. If I was getting a classic sports car, a manual would probably be my choice, and a modern performance car… paddle shifted manual.
You mean paddle shifted automatic

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I’ve been driving sticks for 50 years pretty much all the time. Nothing to do with being macho, I just enjoy it more. Trust me, many of us wheeled well before Jeep started regularly putting in automatics. I’ll freely admit, I haven’t 4 wheeled often in an automatic, but I don’t see the case where it is mandatory. None of my dirt bikes were automatics and seemed to always get me where I wanted to go. Will be the same for my Bronco.

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

A manual trans will almost always outlast an auto too many moving parts in an auto no soul ,stick for me please.
What about the clutch? And clutch master? And clutch slave? And release (throw out) bearing? Clutch job on a 4wd isn't cheap. Just sayin'. I get the point, but "it depends" also applies.

Sponsored

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What about the clutch? And clutch master? And clutch slave? And release (throw out) bearing? Clutch job on a 4wd isn't cheap. Just sayin'. I get the point, but "it depends" also applies.
Yes you could proabably spread that auto from one end of your street to the other end,i have built a few and one spring ,one check ball left out or in wrong location and it wont work.
I bet 50% or more on this site could service the manual /change a clutch vs 1% who could rebuild the 10 speed auto .

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It used to be that a manual gave you better fuel economy.

It used to be that a manual gave you more forward gears.

It used to be that a manual was much more reliable than an auto.

None of those apply in 2021. So why the manual? It’s to give my left leg something to do while driving. And to keep my mind more engaged on the driving experience.

Otherwise we may evolve into unthinking monopods.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I moved to Houston a few years ago and am very much looking forward to getting an automatic again. Stop and go traffic has been a buzzkill in my current car. It might be my last manual transmission vehicle. If I lived in a rural area or if it was a toy vehicle and not my daily driver, I'm certain I'd prefer a manual though.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I moved to Houston a few years ago and am very much looking forward to getting an automatic again. Stop and go traffic has been a buzzkill in my current car. It might be my last manual transmission vehicle. If I lived in a rural area or if it was a toy vehicle and not my daily driver, I'm certain I'd prefer a manual though.
I don't get this. I've felt with both Honolulu traffic and San Antonio traffic daily with manuals. Shifting gears doesn't bother me, mostly because it's my right knee that's trash

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it weren't for the Bronco, I'd have a Wrangler with a stick.

My Need For Speed doesn't help me out, so instead wanna take that energy offroad, and if I'm gonna get something personal, I wanna be able to be in control, not just let the computer have all the fun.

Besides, Millennial Anti-theft device
Sponsored