Sponsored

Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans?

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish my upcoming Bronco was a manual. Had the Ranger Tremor out crawling in the rocks and it did magnificently.. Except when you are in neutral, shift to 4L and then switch back into drive. A huge lurch every single time. I now have a nice dent in the bottom of my rear driver quarter panel from said lurch slamming me down on a boulder. Would've never happened in a manual.

Virtually the same transmission (10r80 in Ranger, 10r60 in Bronco..?), so I'm expecting the lurch to follow me into the new Bronco. Good news is there is no truck bed to slam at least.

I'm all ears if anyone has a way to avoid the lurch..
Use the brake pedal while making that shift. Duh! 🤦‍♂️

Do I win a prize? 😁
Sponsored

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Lakelife36 it happens in manuals too. I’ve seen it and even tried it a time or 2 before I learnt my lesson. Lol

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Shift into 4L before you attack the obstacle. That’s always my rule of thumb. It’s better to shift early and not need it than to stop all forward momentum to do it. I learned the hard way. Seems like the only way you truly learn lessons.
Yeah, we are in total agreement there. Not always possible in the places I run though. I do try.

WPS-GHG!

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Rebel, 2021 BD Sas Mid 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I generally prefer manual, but two years of driving in Miami traffic made me appreciate autos. Now that I work from the house, If the manual was available with the V6 I'd buy it.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Lakelife36 it happens in manuals too. I’ve seen it and even tried it a time or 2 before I learnt my lesson. Lol
The second quote was actually snipped right out of the first quote. I was being cheeky.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A manual trans will almost always outlast an auto too many moving parts in an auto no soul ,stick for me please.

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I wish my upcoming Bronco was a manual. Had the Ranger Tremor out crawling in the rocks and it did magnificently.. Except when you are in neutral, shift to 4L and then switch back into drive. A huge lurch every single time. I now have a nice dent in the bottom of my rear driver quarter panel from said lurch slamming me down on a boulder. Would've never happened in a manual.

Virtually the same transmission (10r80 in Ranger, 10r60 in Bronco..?), so I'm expecting the lurch to follow me into the new Bronco. Good news is there is no truck bed to slam at least.

I'm all ears if anyone has a way to avoid the lurch..
Left foot braking. Some in this thread have commented about what to do with their left foot with an auto....well, use it to apply the brakes. Always left foot brake when off road. And, doing this is part of the big advantage of auto over stick in technical off road sections. Another advantage of auto and left foot braking is a light modulation of the brake pedal to keep the torque converter loaded and control the slow speed over rocks and ruts. Avoids the jerky on the gas, on the brake thing, and is EXACTLY why Ford put the one pedal drive option in the Bronco. Having a manual and not touching the gas or brake does the same thing, but you need really low gears to do it. Auto and left foot braking is the key.

Sponsored

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just like people looking for gas mileage in the Bronco, people buying it for a manual are looking at the wrong vehicle. Go buy a Mustang or something!

/s

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It “seems like so many people want a manual,” but really, very few do buy one.
Because in their hearts they want a manual, but sadly people like to make “educated” decisions with their minds when buying cars. Same reason why our roads are filled with boring cookie cutter crossovers painted one of three colours.
People worry too much about economy, practicality, seating capacity, cargo area, etc. and forgot how to have fun

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Left foot braking. Some in this thread have commented about what to do with their left foot with an auto....well, use it to apply the brakes. Always left foot brake when off road. And, doing this is part of the big advantage of auto over stick in technical off road sections. Another advantage of auto and left foot braking is a light modulation of the brake pedal to keep the torque converter loaded and control the slow speed over rocks and ruts. Avoids the jerky on the gas, on the brake thing, and is EXACTLY why Ford put the one pedal drive option in the Bronco. Having a manual and not touching the gas or brake does the same thing, but you need really low gears to do it. Auto and left foot braking is the key.
Oh, Im HARD on the brakes. Its a forward/backward motion but the vehicle stays put. The truck is so floaty on the Fox 2.0 suspension that it bounces front to back any time 4L engages. The tires arent moving, but the truck bed/nose is bouncing up and down a good 2-3" easily and its fairly violent. Another good piece of advice though, thank you.

I actually thought about that after and realized that I probably wouldve been fine using the trail control to handle this particular problem instead of 4L.

I explore a lot of abandoned mining roads (with permits) that aren't 4x4 trails, so you end up facing unique problems. Mostly due to having to try to crawl out of 2' deep sand onto boulders.. You need high gear for the sand and low gear for the rocks. oh well. Itll be better with a short wheelbase Bronco.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Curious why a manual is so important. I know, some people like stick shift trans, but why in a Bronco? Do you get a stick in all of your other cars and trucks? Not trying to start a stick vs auto debate (but a good discussion is fine), but I've seen so many comments about a manual I'm wonder what folks reasoning is.

Part of my question is that for almost ever there has been a perception that a manual is better off road. However, this perception is almost entirely folks who have little off road experience. Experience shows that an auto has many advantages over a stick off road. So, what the heck, why do so many folks want a stick Bronco?

In part, I think this can be attributed to the nature of off-roading, which is all about vehicle control... What speaks more about the ability to precisely control the vehicle than a manual transmission. While it is not superior to the technology we have today, a large part of the demographic of the average Bronco owner is often older and grew up with less technology, and thus favors the manual experience.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Automatics are more fuel efficient than manuals under the prescribed EPA test conditions for each, but are they significantly more efficient in real-life driving conditions? We constantly hear about new autos learning how the driver wants it to act and drastically changing shift patterns over time - do you really expect them to keep the same fuel consumption after that?
I want to say no, but I never own autos when a manual version exists so I can't compare. I will say I always beat sticker in manuals, almost never in autos.
Sponsored