Sponsored

Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans?

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

In part, I think this can be attributed to the nature of off-roading, which is all about vehicle control... What speaks more about the ability to precisely control the vehicle than a manual transmission. While it is not superior to the technology we have today, a large part of the demographic of the average Bronco owner is often older and grew up with less technology, and thus favors the manual experience.
Read my above post. Politely disagree with your premise, but appreciate the response and perspective. BTW, I've been on Medicare for some time now. 😁

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Because in their hearts they want a manual, but sadly people like to make “educated” decisions with their minds when buying cars. Same reason why our roads are filled with boring cookie cutter crossovers painted one of three colours.
People worry too much about economy, practicality, seating capacity, cargo area, etc. and forgot how to have fun
Remember, if that economic, practical, high-capacity, etc. vehicle was offered with a manual they could have both. It's not the buyer's fault that the manufacturer doesn't offer the option.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Left foot braking. Some in this thread have commented about what to do with their left foot with an auto....well, use it to apply the brakes. Always left foot brake when off road. And, doing this is part of the big advantage of auto over stick in technical off road sections. Another advantage of auto and left foot braking is a light modulation of the brake pedal to keep the torque converter loaded and control the slow speed over rocks and ruts. Avoids the jerky on the gas, on the brake thing, and is EXACTLY why Ford put the one pedal drive option in the Bronco. Having a manual and not touching the gas or brake does the same thing, but you need really low gears to do it. Auto and left foot braking is the key.
So like the crawler gear?

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Oh, Im HARD on the brakes. Its a forward/backward motion but the vehicle stays put. The truck is so floaty on the Fox 2.0 suspension that it bounces front to back any time 4L engages. The tires arent moving, but the truck bed/nose is bouncing up and down a good 2-3" easily and its fairly violent. Another good piece of advice though, thank you.

I actually thought about that after and realized that I probably wouldve been fine using the trail control to handle this particular problem instead of 4L.

I explore a lot of abandoned mining roads (with permits) that aren't 4x4 trails, so you end up facing unique problems. Mostly due to having to try to crawl out of 2' deep sand onto boulders.. You need high gear for the sand and low gear for the rocks. oh well. Itll be better with a short wheelbase Bronco.
Part of the key is the transition from taking your right foot off the brake and applying the gas. If the left foot is on the brake there is no transition. Also could not be controlled with a manual, as there isn't a foot to hold the brake as the clutch is released and gas applied.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Part of the key is the transition from taking your right foot off the brake and applying the gas. If the left foot is on the brake there is no transition. Also could not be controlled with a manual, as there isn't a foot to hold the brake as the clutch is released and gas applied.
So like the heel-toe?

Edit: I've got a bunch of yard work to do before the dump closes but I'll be in and out all day. Keep on trying.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In addition to the excellent pro-manual comments already stated, manuals have some distinct durability advantages when off the road:

(1) No extra hoses or fittings to break or snag, thus leaking the lifeblood of the transmission. (2)No extra radiator to plunge a branch through and leak the lifeblood of the transmission. (3) And finally, one less computer controlled component to fail or even act up when it is needed.

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So like the crawler gear?
Hopefully it's low enough. Too be determined. Odds lessen as tire sizes go up. This is one advantage of the Jeep Rubicon with the 4 to 1 tcase gear. But, the 4 to 1 can sometimes be too low for general low range driving. Ford actually did a good thing with the 3 to 1 tcase and crawler gear in the manual, best of both worlds. Most manual trans hardcore off road trucks are Toyotas, and that's why they have Marlincrawler 4.7 to 1 gear tcase gears and double tcases, to get the super low gears needed for hardcore off road with a stick. Also why Atlas has a 5 to 1 option with an Atlas transfer case. The autos don't need those deep ratios.

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So like the heel-toe?

Edit: I've got a bunch of yard work to do before the dump closes but I'll be in and out all day. Keep on trying.
If you know how to do it, sure. Jeeps and off road cars don't have the same pedal locations as sports cars, but yes. Enjoy the yard and dump. 🍻

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Would buy every car I've ever owned in manual if I could've. So bronco comes with one? I want it. It's the difference between enjoying the drive (stick) and commuting (auto).

Sponsored

Antimatter06

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 6-speed
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Driving a manual is just more fun: it’s as simple as that. Took my daughter out in my Gladiator again, second row gearing lesson for her. This one went much better: she’s getting the hang of it while not killing my clutch!
She didn’t understand why I bought the manual until today. Trying to explain this is difficult, experiencing it make things much clearer. The look on her face after revving up the rpms in first then chirping the tires into second was priceless! At that moment she understood why, no explanation necessary. It’s my duty as a responsible parent to prepare my children to enjoy life & acquire as many skills as possible while doing so.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Pretty sure a lot of it has to do with just the fact of the principle.
It’s a fact that the stick shift is dying.
It’s connected to the past, when things were more simple.
This new convoluted screwed up world we live in, make things of nostalgia take us back!
at least older folks!
Or….people who wish they lived in a simpler time.

I’m sure there’s a few people that just still like to drive stick shifts
Feel that they have a little bit of actual control versus computer.
Me….I’m kind of tired of the whole shifting thing. I have a Hotrod for that.
My 2 cents!

Thomman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Cooper S, 2012 Skoda Yeti, 2018 Tiger 800
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Left foot braking. Some in this thread have commented about what to do with their left foot with an auto....well, use it to apply the brakes. Always left foot brake when off road. And, doing this is part of the big advantage of auto over stick in technical off road sections. Another advantage of auto and left foot braking is a light modulation of the brake pedal to keep the torque converter loaded and control the slow speed over rocks and ruts. Avoids the jerky on the gas, on the brake thing, and is EXACTLY why Ford put the one pedal drive option in the Bronco. Having a manual and not touching the gas or brake does the same thing, but you need really low gears to do it. Auto and left foot braking is the key.
Excellent point.... left foot braking while off-road is a huge advantage for the Auto in tricky situations.

That being said, I'm 60 and won't drive an Auto until my back gives out... to be frank I wouldn't have considered the Bronco if it didn't have a Manual option. (my build is a 4DR, 2.3L 7MT BL non-SAS).

I was at the Off-Roadeo yesterday and drove their only Manual (BL non-SAS) to see how it would compare off-road to the one-pedal option on the Auto. I will admit the one-pedal is more controllable than the manual in all cases except when you have the Manual in Crawler gear. In Crawler gear, the Manual was as controllable (or better, IMO) as one-pedal on the Auto.

So given my pre-disposition to a manual for normal on-road driving where I love the control, the Crawler gear in the Bronco has convinced me that my decision to go Manual is the right one ... at least for me.

Oh and yes, my 3 sons drive only manuals, and I'll be teaching my 12-year old daughter to drive my Bronco soon. That'll keep those juveniles who don't drive manuals from sniffing around....

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper SE, MIata ND2 GT, Bronco Badland SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A manual trans will almost always outlast an auto too many moving parts in an auto no soul ,stick for me please.
Agree, manual does last longer. Sadly, every time I purchased a new car, and convinced myself that I'll the car longer this time. Like this 2018 Rubicon JLU (just over 3yrs) which will be traded in for the Bronco. In 5-10 yrs, I have a feeling I may end up with some type of off-road PHEV!?

Misterbear

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond, Jeep Wrangler X
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Because I'm driving the vehicle, the vehicle isn't driving me.

Less weight. Better mileage. Less expensive and disastrous repairs. More precise control when shifting and accelerating. More fun. Don't have to be numb from the neck up in air-conditioned luxury.
Sponsored