Sponsored

Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans?

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

... Cuz you can control the shift.
If you've never had a manual you would not know. But having eyes and know the slope of the road ahead of you is far more knowledge that the computer can have. If you are used to pressing the pedal harder than an automatic will suffice, but if you like keeping your gas foot near constant and gearing to match then a manual is for you.

Think of bicycling. You most efficient use of power is a cadence(rpm) of ~80. Think of that is your power band. If you can keep your bicycle in the correct gear and keep a cadence of 80 your are cruisin'. The same goes for a car. An automatic on a flat highway is the MOST efficient, yet once you get into the mountains and have the "UPs and DOWNs" your foot starts to press the gas harder to "get" that gear you want. But if you're in a manual you can see what is ahead and keep your vehicle in the optimal rpm (cadence) range.

The icing on the cake is that driving becomes enjoyable, it's slightly challenging, engaging and fun. It's not a boring "push and go".

But alas if you know, you know. Some folks like that auto and others enjoy the deep pleasure of a manual.

No judgement here, just experience from a guy that's been 3 pedaling or left hand squeezing for the past 32 years.
The automatic has 3 more speeds than the manual which can all be selected manually so the automatic can, strictly speaking, set cadence better than the manual. 😏
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If any of you manual folks are getting automatic climate control then I need to point out how superior my manual HVAC is. I can constantly fiddle with my red-blue dial to set the blend door exactly where I want it while you are at the mercy of a computer rounding to the nearest degree, you lazy and disconnected driver!
635.jpg

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

maybe just simply, it is my money and i will spend it on what i want. since when did it become necessary to explain and justify how you drink your coffee? i drink mine black and hot. i drive cars with manual transmissions because i enjoy them more. if you like iced coffee and automatics, good for you. if you like a wtfachino and paddle shifters, cool. i like hot coffee and three pedals on the floor...

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a manual Mustang and an auto F150…love driving the manual at times I hate driving the manual and same can be said for the auto…just depends on the mood.

Sponsored
OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'll reiterate what several said already: most of the smug people that say they're not buying a manual probably can't drive one. Their only way to be "cool" is to slam down the gas pedal and hang on. Reminds me of how I used to lose the sport bike guys on GSXR 750s in the mountains....on my BMW boxer R80! A manual requires higher ability from the driver, and they get more out of their vehicle. Simply put.
My track race car is a manual. My rock buggy is an auto. My F450 is a manual. My Jeeps are auto. I can go both ways, depending on what is best for the purpose of that particular vehicle. I don't need to justify my personal preference with insults, nor am I silly enough to think one choice is universally the best.

... Cuz you can control the shift.
If you've never had a manual you would not know. But having eyes and know the slope of the road ahead of you is far more knowledge that the computer can have. If you are used to pressing the pedal harder than an automatic will suffice, but if you like keeping your gas foot near constant and gearing to match then a manual is for you.

Think of bicycling. You most efficient use of power is a cadence(rpm) of ~80. Think of that is your power band. If you can keep your bicycle in the correct gear and keep a cadence of 80 your are cruisin'. The same goes for a car. An automatic on a flat highway is the MOST efficient, yet once you get into the mountains and have the "UPs and DOWNs" your foot starts to press the gas harder to "get" that gear you want. But if you're in a manual you can see what is ahead and keep your vehicle in the optimal rpm (cadence) range.
Ahh, you're point about not pushing the brake and using gears instead doesn't hold with your analogy of constant pedal speed on the bike for a couple of reasons. One, you have to use the brakes on the bike going downhill, no problem using brakes on a vehicle either. Second, a modern gas engine has a very wide power band, constant rpm just isn't necessary. Third, left foot braking with an auto is a very effective technique with an auto for excellent control off road. Fourth, you can downshift an auto when appropriate just like a manual.

Okay, getting irritated with this thread......
Manuals come naturally to some people. They like being able to control the shift points after driving automatics that can't seem to figure out what gear they're supposed to be in. Automatic transmissions are awesome for lazy or handicapped people. I enjoy being lazy in my f150 and the manual would have been painful to drive when I busted up my foot but......I decide when to change gears.......
😁 Seriously? Lazy or handicapped? Tons of people have replied to this thread that they have/had both stick and autos and prefer one or the other depending on what they're driving. Some of you guys advocating manuals think everyone who doesn't agree with you has some kind of mental or physical deficiency. Oh my, we could really get going on this topic. :D :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In 20+ years off-road I've never had an auto leave me stranded but I've had clutches pack with mud and slave cylinders die on my manuals.

Yup.

There's so much irony in this post. It's typically the manual guys being smug. Who cares. My Bronco, my choice!

I prefer manual cars but off-road I want a modern automatic. I will rig up paddle shifters if I decide I need more gear control. However, I do think the manual 2.3L base 2-door Bronco is the greatest value in the automotive world!:cool:
Meh, I have had 8 automatics destroy themselves and 1 manual manual slowly die because I drove it in rivers all the time. Still drove when I replaced it. Also replaced 1 clutch because I delivered pizza like the Indy 500.

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

maybe just simply, it is my money and i will spend it on what i want. since when did it become necessary to explain and justify how you drink your coffee? i drink mine black and hot. i drive cars with manual transmissions because i enjoy them more. if you like iced coffee and automatics, good for you. if you like a wtfachino and paddle shifters, cool. i like hot coffee and three pedals on the floor...

Of course. Don't we come to forums like this for a little bit of info and a whole lot of entertainment? Just a fun discussion. If not fun, then......

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Talk about irritating. You just insinuated that all auto buyers on this forum are lazy or handicapped 😂
Not quite but we all know you gotta have thick skin in this forum.....lol. no insults were implied here. I drive an auto daily but I sometimes fall in the category of lazy but usually tired. Maybe I should have included the third adjective to be a little PC.....

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay, getting irritated with this thread......if you aren’t getting better mpgs in a manual, you need to learn how to drive one. People tend to be gullible and believe what the dashboard says their mileage is. Every time I check mine on my f150, it comes up at least 2 mpgs less than dashboard claims. Manuals come naturally to some people. They like being able to control the shift points after driving automatics that can't seem to figure out what gear they're supposed to be in. Automatic transmissions are awesome for lazy or handicapped people. I enjoy being lazy in my f150 and the manual would have been painful to drive when I busted up my foot but......I decide when to change gears.......
This might be the stupidest post I’ve ever read. 🤣 They must of been your kids because I’ve never met anyone stupid enough who couldn’t figure out when to shift, that’s the easy part.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Auto>Manual. I don’t have time for that shit, too much work. Took my wife’s Cruze yesterday after not driving manual for 18 years. Took me about 5 minutes to get acclimated, remembered how much I hate having to do it.

I’ll take my A8 Challenger with paddles every day of the week. iTs nOt tHe sAme wIthOut A cLutCh. Manual will soon die and that’s fine with me.

Ford Bronco Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans? 1629114846230

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'll agree that a stick is fun to drive. Most of my vehicles from the time I started driving in 1985 up until 2005 were stick. I actually learned to drive on the road in a 3 speed VW before I ever took my drivers test. Guess I got lazy as I got older. Now I'm at a point in my life where a stick isn't practicle or comfortable. Bad left knee that will never get any better. Can't commit to a vehicle that I might not be able to drive at any given day.

On a side note. I had a 2003 Mazda Protégé 5 MT I bought brand new. My mom took it over in 2005 when I bought a new Jeep Jiberty. Mom drove that car up until she couldn't drive anymore in 2019. She was 75 and driving a stick. With a short throw shifter too. LOL

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious why a manual is so important. I know, some people like stick shift trans, but why in a Bronco? Do you get a stick in all of your other cars and trucks? Not trying to start a stick vs auto debate (but a good discussion is fine), but I've seen so many comments about a manual I'm wonder what folks reasoning is.

Part of my question is that for almost ever there has been a perception that a manual is better off road. However, this perception is almost entirely folks who have little off road experience. Experience shows that an auto has many advantages over a stick off road. So, what the heck, why do so many folks want a stick Bronco?
I drove manual most my adult life.

For a sporty car I'd want manual bc to me it's a more fun experience. My manual enjoyment comes from controlling the shifting myself when I want to go fast.

For an SUV or truck? I'll take the auto bc driving a manual in traffic is annoying and the Bronco is not something I'm getting bc it's fast.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When Mansquatch V6 hits, I'll trade in for the stick. Assuming I actually have the one I've already ordered by then....

Manuals are more fun, period. There's a driver/vehicle connection you can't match by using Automatic/Manual mode with the +/- buttons. Its a mechanical connection via foot and arm.

The rock crawling debate should be a draw now with the crawler gear and (sorry anti-computer guys) driveline mgmt software. Auto's are certainly easier on the trail, but a manual will go anywhere an auto will with the right operator.

Personally I don't care which one you get, as long as the manufacturers continue to offer an option I'm happy.
Sponsored