Sponsored

Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Folks are very lucky to have a choice. The future doesn’t look so accommodating.
Choice?!?

Is it too soon to bring up a 2 door soft top?
Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Things as annoying as this thread
1 the Tommy gif
2 pineapple pizza
3 built in theft deterrent
4 flannel requirements

Ronaldo

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71bronco67cvMustangFFRCobra97Viper93RX7R1
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Other than number 1 they are all just opinions.
Your forgetting resale if that matters to you. It might not but if It does you have to find the 2.4 percentile that what it.

I have owned both over the years and still have a 6 sp. that is entertaining to drive at times but there is absolutely no way I could ever come to terms of a using it for a daily driver. That’s just my little opinion.
If you can great 👍
The only opinion are 2 and 7.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Folks are very lucky to have a choice. The future doesn’t look so accommodating.
On that we agree, but only in ‘Merica.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What do you mean "too high?" To high for efficiency, or too high compared to what you feel while driving a manual? You're comparing a 10spd auto to a 6 (not counting crawler) spd. Of course they will rev different.

The lag between gears with the torque converter won't be much more than a manual. A manual most definitely has lag too unless you're perfect shifting every single time.

I agree that it's no manual. I never said it was. I've driven manuals my whole life too. Only 20 years but I wouldn't be far off a million km's either. Split half and half between manuals and autos.

Like I said at the beginning of the thread I prefer manuals. I prefer selecting my own gears. Today's autos work damn well. I've never had a problem driving up a ramp in one like another poster said or had any trouble getting one to move when I want it to.

Each as its pros and cons for sure. But it's not as simple as you made it out to be. Selecting your own gears doesn't automatically make you a better driver than a computer. A computer doesn't automatically mean it's better than a human.

Also....driving an auto with those +/- shifters is ridiculous. I'll give you that. Ha. It doesn't even come close to the feel of driving a manual. It's like trying to drive a car with a nintendo controller. Ha
I specifically mean the engine is not in its part of the power band where it is responsive to throttle input and modulation because the drivetrain is in numerically higher gear. The old fashioned term is known as "lugging".

I've not yet driven the 2.3L manual transmission setup; it could suck too for all I know. Hopefully not. ;)

Last edited:

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Bronco is a ridiculous automobile. It has a removable top. It gets bad gas mileage. It is one of only 4 body on frame midsize SUV's. It rides like a log wagon. It is loud. It has spartan interior materials.

It is not a logical purchase. It is a want. People want a manual to go along with the whole thing. If you're going to inconvenience yourself in one way, might as do so in another way.
Agree all except the last part...

If you're going to inconvenience yourself in one way, might as well convenience yourself in another way. 😁

Underflow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This, exactly.
She has shown an interest on learning to drive a manual (she has her permit) , man, I dropped Sasquatch so freaking fast when she started talking about it! Lol!
Added benefit of her idiot schoolmates and other asstd teen boys sniffing around most likely will not be able to drive it. Lol
Once that was decided, I was able to talk myself a the way down to a baseBase, which MAYBE, I can gift her later on.
The crawler gear intrigues me. I did a tyranny swap on my offroad rig to get a granny gear, so I'm excited to try this one out.

If ManSquatch had been available, that's where I'd be.
That's also why I'll be PISSED if my rig doesn't show up until February or some shit.
I’m planning to also gift in 5 years to my daughter. Big benefit: YOU CANT TEXT & DRIVE MT!

Wineguy

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr Base, VW Alltrack
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The reason for a manual that I gave my wife? So she couldn’t drive it. The real reason? Nostalgia. I love rowing my own gears.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The reason for a manual that I gave my wife? So she couldn’t drive it. The real reason? Nostalgia. I love rowing my own gears.
I see your first reason in every "why manual" thread.

Makes me laugh to myself. I think it's sexy AF when my wife drives a manual. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Am I the only one here that loves manuals but live in the city and am tired of driving in traffic and hence getting a manual?

I have a 6-speed Subaru currently and can't wait to get an automatic again for my daily driver.

I'd only get a manual Bronco if this was my weekend only car or I didn't live in the city.

I’m planning to also gift in 5 years to my daughter. Big benefit: YOU CANT TEXT & DRIVE MT!
Think again, comrade.

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Lots of great reasons to buy it with a manual. And a good discussion. Some assumed I was an auto only guy from posting the question, which isn't true. Like I said, my track race car is a stick, my collectors edition pick up is a stick, my F450 is a stick. My Jeeps are autos, my buggy is an auto and my Bronco order is an auto. For fun I like a stick, for daily driving and off road I like an auto.

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was born the same year the Bronco went into production. I learned how to drive stick when I was 16 in my dads 67 Camaro. Since 18 yrs old, I really haven’t driven a stick.

Let’s just say when I rolled out the lot in the manual Bronco on a test drive, I lurched forward like I was 16 learning it all over again. 😔
By the time I got back to the lot, I was like that 18 year old driving my dads 67 Camaro 😀

I believe some day in the future I will trade, or sell my Bronco four door automatic, for a 2 door manual Bronco. Because it was fun!!!
Sponsored