Sponsored

Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans?

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Crawler gear
Sponsored

Deleted member 12876

When I got out of my 98 range with standard transmission, I had phantom clutch issues when coming to complete stop 😆

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've largely driven manuals my entire life. I just entire them. The CVT in my Forester is awful and the 4spd in the Tacoma is equally as bad.

Ultimately though - my wife chimed in and made me get the 10spd so she can drive it once or twice. However, I am sure I'll enjoy the auto's simplicity when I am in a tough or technical section off road.

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just discovered another benefit of the manual. Crawler gear’s not just for off-road. Was in the car line this morning dropping my daughter at school, and decided to try crawler. Perfect idle mode!

Sponsored

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It all depends on what you are going to do with it. I can see it being preferable in an off-road situation but in regular traffic, manuals can be a nightmare.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It all depends on what you are going to do with it. I can see it being preferable in an off-road situation but in regular traffic, manuals can be a nightmare.
I think its autos that are the nightmare in traffic. You gotta hold the pedal constantly or put it in neutral or park and sometimes there is a detent. Manual you dont have to do a thing when stationary and when you wanna move 5 feet a 2 second clutch slip and you moved.

KingWillard

Black Diamond
First Name
Willard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To echo some of the other responses, I have had mostly manuals. I had automatics for the last few years. I just got my Black Diamond with a manual on Friday. I am so glad I went manual! It is so fun to drive! I am more engaged in the driving experience, I get to teach my kids to drive a manual, and I have yet to be in a situation where I missed the automatic.

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think its autos that are the nightmare in traffic. You gotta hold the pedal constantly or put it in neutral or park and sometimes there is a detent. Manual you dont have to do a thing when stationary and when you wanna move 5 feet a 2 second clutch slip and you moved.

Wow! Total difference of opinion here. In traffic at a stop...foot was on brake to stop, foot stays on brake, foot releases brake a little to creep forward, repeat. Traffic with an auto is a no brainer.....sounds like that is just the point of those favoring manuals, driving an auto is just too easy! :D :ROFLMAO:

Remember, I drive both.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thread start question:
Curious why a manual is so important. I know, some people like stick shift trans, but why in a Bronco? Do you get a stick in all of your other cars and trucks? Not trying to start a stick vs auto debate (but a good discussion is fine), but I've seen so many comments about a manual I'm wonder what folks reasoning is.

Part of my question is that for almost ever there has been a perception that a manual is better off road. However, this perception is almost entirely folks who have little off road experience. Experience shows that an auto has many advantages over a stick off road. So, what the heck, why do so many folks want a stick Bronco?
16 pages later post:
Wow! Total difference of opinion here. In traffic at a stop...foot was on brake to stop, foot stays on brake, foot releases brake a little to creep forward, repeat. Traffic with an auto is a no brainer.....sounds like that is just the point of those favoring manuals, driving an auto is just too easy! :D :ROFLMAO:

Remember, I drive both.
Well you started this thread, is your curiosity satisfied yet? You got 16 pages of answers so far. And just scanning, you seem to rebut whatever anyone answers. So, was it really curiosity, as stated? Or a chance to debate and argue? Either way, it's a subjective choice, so someone should close this thread. But I notice on this forum no thread EVER get's closed. They just live forever, never solving anything, just opinions being bleated out every few seconds...forever.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Remember, I drive both.
I dont know I got bad ankles. I just dont like holding a constant pressure position. You know like rather walk than stand or the pain creeps in.

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thread start question:

16 pages later post:

Well you started this thread, is your curiosity satisfied yet? You got 16 pages of answers so far. And just scanning, you seem to rebut whatever anyone answers. So, was it really curiosity, as stated? Or a chance to debate and argue? Either way, it's a subjective choice, so someone should close this thread. But I notice on this forum no thread EVER get's closed. They just live forever, never solving anything, just opinions being bleated out every few seconds...forever.

Seriously? Did you see all the responses that I liked, from people saying why they want a manual? Sorry, your info isn't accurate. Some people assumed I was only pro automatic, so I responded, and some people made comments that I chose to respond back. My choice.

Besides, why not at least have something interesting and somewhat technical to discuss, rather than all the whiny posts about tops, and Ford, and dealerships, and people who do dumb things, and etc etc. Sure, I stirred the pot a bit, so what? We're here for entertainment, and maybe a bit of information, and I guess some to bellyache and get crap off their chest. OK. But we can have a little fun too. 🍻 😁

ab_slack

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Explorer and 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No real intent to drive off road. Driving a manual one can be proactive in gear changes shifting prior to the hill, prior to having to push the throttle down excessively. An automatic will always be reactionary, require excess throttle input to get it to shift down.

People say automatics have come a long way as far as fuel economy, and I can't speak for others, but I've yet to find a vehicle with an automatic where I wasn't routinely getting more with a manual.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My choice...to go back to ignoring very subjective...er...subjects.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thread start question:

16 pages later post:

Yah just like yours...
Sponsored