Sponsored

Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans?

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had MTs in the past and my youngest son's first and only car was a MT. Lost my son several years ago, so getting a MT would be a way of me to bring back some good memories.......
Sponsored

TimeOffSite

Badlands
First Name
Bill Bonnefil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It used to be that a manual gave you better fuel economy.

It used to be that a manual gave you more forward gears.

It used to be that a manual was much more reliable than an auto.

None of those apply in 2021. So why the manual? It’s to give my left leg something to do while driving. And to keep my mind more engaged on the driving experience.

Otherwise we may evolve into unthinking monopods.
This SOOOOO resonates for me. I find myself getting so zoned out driving these days. I drive a manual, any manual, and I am in the moment, watching the movement around me, deciding if I should downshift and get some engine braking, feeling where the engine is in its band. It's just fun. Trust me...I get super annoyed with the manual, when dealing with traffic, or parking an older car on steep streets, but then when things open up again, and the muscle memory takes over...it just IS driving again...Driving, not riding in a car to get somewhere.

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Because you can’t even get a sports car with a stick nowadays, might as well have the transmission correct for serious off-roading.

I'll bite. What serious off roading are you saying the stick is correct for?

I get there are plenty of good reasons to want a stick.

bbkat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get it. I very much miss driving stick
... until I have to get on the 405 freeway 😫

I'm still looking for a manual, but in a sports car. For me, the driving experience is better suited there than a 4x4

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I enjoy a manual - my daily driver is a 5 speed manual. For an offraod vehicle it 100% auto for me. I get the argument for either...

EDIT: When I got my first early bronco 30 years ago, a popular modification was to drop in a NP435 manual with a granny low. I was planning to do the same until a few of us went to Moab and I saw how much more imprecision and trouble the guys with the manuals had on hard obstacles. Not what I wanted while off camber staring at a 1000ft drop. When we got home, I sold the np435 that I had planned to swap in...

Last edited:

Sponsored

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is literally the FIRST automatic I have ever bought in 20 years of driving. If the larger engine came in manual, I would have gotten it.

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove an auto 2.3 badlands. Surprisingly slow from takeoff. So much so I hated it. I drove a 2.7 Wildtrack and I think that is a nice engine for this truck and I’m sure aftermarket will only improve the performance.

I purchased the 2.3 manual and I can whole heartedly tell you that I love this combo on my badlands. Never did I feel it was sluggish. It’s such a fun truck to drive I’m finding myself making up excuses to drive.

0-60 is so irrelevant. I don’t care that my stick is slower than an auto or worse gas mileage. I bought a stick because it’s FUN! It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed driving this much. Regardless of what the numbers say, it feels great and it’s definitely quick. Very happy with my choice.

My thought is if you have to ask, go for the Auto. I think people that would be happy with the manual are passionate about it and an auto isn’t even an option.

jhenson81

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Without having read any replies, I'm just answering the original question. For me, a manual is just more fun. I also like having a direct connection between the engine and drive axles. Automatics slip by design - in the torque converter and trans itself. So when you romp on the gas in an auto, it takes more time to respond than a manual. Plus I like to decide when to shift, although newer autos have decent manual modes these days.

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I wonder how many people who preferred manual never tried Automatic manual mode.

I've had a few cars. Most of them have paddle shifters next to the steering wheel, two had only the shifter lever itself. I find Automatic transmission is the best option for most of us.

When you want to feel the car or enjoy the driving experience.
Put it in M, shift by using + and -

When you want to relax or just ride along.
Put it in D.

For example, in my Camaro...
Tap - to downshift.
Tap it twice it blips the throttle to downshift quicker.
Hold it to shift directly to the lowest possible gear.
If I don't do anything while accelerating, it bounce at the rev limiter.
If I come to a stop light and feel lazy, it downshifts to keep the engine from stalling.

Honestly I haven't find a good motivation to buy a manual.
And no, I don't mind my wife driving my cars and not worrying my cars being stolen lol

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Driving a super slow vehicle (bronco) with a manual transmission can be more fun than a fast car with an automatic.

Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Manuals are fun on the road, which is where I do at least 80% of my driving. Manual off road is great as long as 4 low is low enough. Crawler gear on the Bronco has a good chance of achieving that.
Automatics are for people who can't drive.
Out comes the gate keepers.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going manual for the Crawl gear and Sasquatch 4.7 gears having the best crawl ratio for rock crawling.

RiskyB

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've had many manual vehicles, mostly sports cars, it's the best way to experience driving fun vehicles. Now days, a manual could be considered part of the anti theft system since so many have no clue how to drive one.

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My current rig is a 6 speed 2005 Jeep LJ. I like the manual on the highway, but actually don't like it off road. Went with auto because of the 2.7 and I like the tech with the auto, almost cheating using it off road and at my age, I take any advantage I can.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any idiot can drive an automatic off road, it takes an exceptional idiot to drive a manual off road.
I hope to prove this point in my 2.3 7 speed BL. 😉
Sponsored