Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Elantra Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I figured what I have put together thus far of my planned Bronco, and then get further opinions on my future planned vehicle mods.
So first and foremost my overall end goal is to have an all around off road rig that prefers doing high speed (ie a Raptor/Warthog build).
I started with a 2 Dr Black Diamond Reservation. After some thinking I jumped trains and I will be ordering the 4 Dr instead.
Engine choice: I'm leaning more towards the 2.7 now but I'm still flip-flopping about it due to the transmission choice.
Pretty much dead set on Area 51 as the color, and I won't be Sasquatching the Bronco.

So from here on is the list I have compiled so far of what I plan to do aftermarket:
Assuming the 2.3 Engine + 7 Speed:
Oil Catch Can - Must for the carbon build up
Intake Upgrade
Ford Performance Tune/Or Some other Aftermarket Tune (End Goal would be similar numbers to the current Ford Ranger Ford Performance Tune).

Assuming 2.7 Engine + 10 Speed:
Intake Upgrade

Mods Outside of the Engine/Transmission:
Wheels - Something with High Offset to give the Bronco a wider stance (https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/black-rhino-pinatubo)
- These would be the wheels I'm planning to get (unfortunately they only come in 18's for the offset)
Tires - Based on the upgraded tires there is a large price discrepancy b/w the BFG KO2's and the General Grabber ATX, My question is will the KO2's be worth the price increase over the Grabber ATX's (Note this will be my Daily Driver as well as my weekend toy if it wasn't obvious yet)?
Suspension - Depending on the aftermarket and the quality of the stock system I might upgrade I might not. It might be something I upgrade through Ford Performance as well.
Grille - Looking for something reminiscent of the Bronco R (ie The grille from the Big Bend or Outer Banks).

I have also attached a visual picture taken from Interactive Garage for the wheels and tires to be seen on the Bronco. I originally found the wheels on Interactive Garage and then checked between the tires and wheel sizing to see what fit (17's do exist for this wheel but no one seems to carry a 6-lug with a -18 offset).

Ford Bronco Current Bronco Build Plan 1601432547516
Sponsored

Phil_68w10

Big Bend
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

All I've settled is a 4-door in a trim, hard top and sasquatch. The way this year is going December will here and I probably still won't have my mind made up.

TD723

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500, 2017 Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m happy to see your mind is made up as well as mine? I was dead set on a base 2-door Sasquatch with 2.7/auto, no frills and all off-road capable. Now I’m starting to like the looks and extra wheelbase of the 4-door. Decisions, decisions...

Kogi

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Black Diamond with hard top
2.7l w/ 10spd
Signature headlights if optional
Intake
Catback exhaust

Sponsored

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mods Outside of the Engine/Transmission:
Wheels - Something with High Offset to give the Bronco a wider stance (https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/black-rhino-pinatubo)
- These would be the wheels I'm planning to get (unfortunately they only come in 18's for the offset)
Tires - Based on the upgraded tires there is a large price discrepancy b/w the BFG KO2's and the General Grabber ATX, My question is will the KO2's be worth the price increase over the Grabber ATX's (Note this will be my Daily Driver as well as my weekend toy if it wasn't obvious yet)?
#1:
I've run high offset rims with 12.50" wide tires.
I wouldn't reccomend them to an enemy.
They might come back for revenge.

High offset tires will drastically increase bump steer and road groove tracking.
The bump steer can get outright vicious at normal highway speeds.

Both get " exciting" in traffic at rush hour in a construction zone, or on twisting highways at 75mph+.
By exciting, I mean white knuckle quick corrections.

#2: I've run both BFG and GG ATs.
BFGs are better on dry pavement.
GGs have much stronger sidewalls offroad.
Too close to call everywhere else in summer driving.
Can't say anything about either in the snow and ice, since I live in Arizona.
Your call.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
+1

I switched from 33x12.50R15 on high positive offset aftermarket rims to 35x10.50R17 on factory original, high negative offset rims.

The ride went from constant attention, to better than factory.
The taller sidewalls of the 35s made the ride softer. While the factory offset rims restored straight line tracking at speed.

OP
OP

RedTetsu13

Black Diamond
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Elantra Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

#1:
I've run high offset rims with 12.50" wide tires.
I wouldn't reccomend them to an enemy.
They might come back for revenge.

High offset tires will drastically increase bump steer and road groove tracking.
The bump steer can get outright vicious at normal highway speeds.

Both get " exciting" in traffic at rush hour in a construction zone, or on twisting highways at 75mph+.
By exciting, I mean white knuckle quick corrections.

#2: I've run both BFG and GG ATs.
BFGs are better on dry pavement.
GGs have much stronger sidewalls offroad.
Too close to call everywhere else in summer driving.
Can't say anything about either in the snow and ice, since I live in Arizona.
Your call.
My next question since I haven't yet dealt with this level of modification to the wheels at all aside from Tire changes, Is -18 considered a High offset? My plan is to keep to the factory width which I believe is about 9.5" (265-275 wide tires for the ideal fitment).

OP
OP

RedTetsu13

Black Diamond
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Elantra Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m happy to see your mind is made up as well as mine? I was dead set on a base 2-door Sasquatch with 2.7/auto, no frills and all off-road capable. Now I’m starting to like the looks and extra wheelbase of the 4-door. Decisions, decisions...
I was the same as you and for me it came to 2 factors. If I have to drive my parents at all, my mom or dad would have difficulty getting into the back seats of the 2 door. Another thing was gas tank size, its about 4 gallons larger on the four door was another big selling point. My proportion decision I looked at the Bronco R again and came to the conclusion that the R has closer proportions to the 4 Dr rather than the 2 Dr.

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

0-offset you "might" be ok on drivability. Once you get into the minus offsets it is going to suck. Intakes on these motors is going to be for sound only. Zero H/P gains. If you plan to actually off-road the factory intake will help protect your engine from inhaling dirt, water, and debris.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My next question since I haven't yet dealt with this level of modification to the wheels at all aside from Tire changes, Is -18 considered a High offset? My plan is to keep to the factory width which I believe is about 9.5" (265-275 wide tires for the ideal fitment).
Any -minus is a high offset. The factory beadlock capable wheel is 8.5" wide. Not sure on the steelies or other factory alloys. When you are looking at offset on an off-road vehicle you have to take into consideration the full travel of the suspension. The high offset tire poke may look cool on the street (it doesn't) but as soon as you hit the dirt you are going to have issues. On my Raptor the factory offset is +34. When the suspension is fully compressed it has no interference with the body. With a 0 offset at full compression they are starting to rub. With a -18 offset at full compression it would rip the fenders off.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another wide tire comment as my mustang has 17x9.5 rims in front and 17x11 in rear and tramling or however it is spelled is an issue. Follows any groove in the road. While bump steer is not a huge issue holy crap the 265 to 275 wide fronts and 315 rears get bad when the road is rutted. My experience with lifted trucks is stay with the factory offsets and 8 to 9in wide rim and at most run a 12.5 tire o. the street. 33's are my sweetspot but as I am looking at the 35's with diamondmansquatch they will be fluffier and when wore out probably replaced by some 12.50 33's.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's a really loaded question until we get vehicles to measure.

The Base has been stated by Mike L to use 16" Ranger rims.
Time to go see how high the offset is.
Sponsored