John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Broncotrax …I know, I get it. The sexy bumpers are my favorite, but for me this pic from the Bronco vs deer post is the most 🤢🤮 of all 🤷🏻‍♂️

8EFBA80A-07EA-4973-9F1A-10BBD3CC3325.jpeg
Sponsored

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Tried to find front view with factory bumper. Found this to give an idea.

Ford Bronco Currently available winch solutions for 2021+ Bronco 1636736501756
I had the thought of having a ruler attached on the factory bumper to gauge the distance the camera sees from the factory angle and then if we know the dimensions of an aftermarket bumper, how much will be seen by the camera.

I dunno, just random thoughts that bounce in my head occasionally :)

BLMike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Ultimate Wrangler and two other normal cars
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the thought of having a ruler attached on the factory bumper to gauge the distance the camera sees from the factory angle and then if we know the dimensions of an aftermarket bumper, how much will be seen by the camera.

I dunno, just random thoughts that bounce in my head occasionally :)
Let's hope that other manufactures take the lead like Road Armor and put those images in the product page. I'm liking that Stealth option. We all know there will be more coming! This was such a fail on Ford's part. Kind of disappointed that it wasn't thought through all the way.

Sponsored

GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Let's hope that other manufactures take the lead like Road Armor and put those images in the product page. I'm liking that Stealth option. We all know there will be more coming! This was such a fail on Ford's part. Kind of disappointed that it wasn't thought through all the way.
That's the thing... IMHO, Ford did think the winch solution through. Their winch solution can be installed on your vehicle as long as you spec your vehicle with the correct bumper and packages. It's installation process does not require major "hacking", attempts to retain approach angle by mounting winch high on bumper, minimal impact to the overall aesthetics, and claims to maintain certain safety requirements and recalibration is a part of the process. If your Bronco doesn't contain the higher-end packages and you can except the asking price, the FP Winch Solution is an easy choice right out the gate... for others with High/Lux package or front camera/front parking sensors/ACC have to standby for the aftermarket. It's just that simple.

OP did a great job of listing as much as can be gathered in terms of aftermarket winch-capable bumpers... still, some information is unknown and I'm sure more is to come.

GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The ARB bumper does look beefy but I would like to see how far out it is from the front, so a good side view. Hopefully we'll have more pics in 2022 of this and other bumpers
I grabbed this from their Instagram post

Chonky...thanks :)
It is "chonky," but I'm not mad at that if the bumper is suppose to be designed to handle rigorous conditions. Looks like most accessories are accounted for, except maybe the front camera. I would like to know if approach angle takes a hit.

BLMike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Ultimate Wrangler and two other normal cars
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's the thing... IMHO, Ford did think the winch solution through. Their winch solution can be installed on your vehicle as long as you spec your vehicle with the correct bumper and packages. It's installation process does not require major "hacking", attempts to retain approach angle by mounting winch high on bumper, minimal impact to the overall aesthetics, and claims to maintain certain safety requirements and recalibration is a part of the process. If your Bronco doesn't contain the higher-end packages and you can except the asking price, the FP Winch Solution is an easy choice right out the gate... for others with High/Lux package or front camera/front parking sensors/ACC have to standby for the aftermarket. It's just that simple.

OP did a great job of listing as much as can be gathered in terms of aftermarket winch-capable bumpers... still, some information is unknown and I'm sure more is to come.
Totally agree that OP did an excellent job. Really appreciate this thread. When time of ordering (a very long, long time ago) I was expecting that Ford would have options for those of us with the front camera. I was surprised at how helpful it was when I went off-roading in a Bronco with it. I agree that "fail" might be too strong of a statement but it seems like a simple camera relocate kit would work. I ordered the mod bumper thinking adding a winch would be easy. Now it looks like I have to order a new bumper. Maybe Ford will still come out with a relocation kit for the camera? Maybe this solution doesn't work...I don't know. Though, the price of the winch from them probably equals new bumper and winch from the aftermarket.

So just disappointed that my planning ahead for a winch turned out not to work out, at this point.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure about the Harbor Freight units as I've never used them or know anyone that has. Warn is a tried and true brand that has decades of history. I've not heard good things about the reliability of other Harbor Freight items though.
Here is my Harbor Freight winch pulling my buddy out of the river bottom, plus another time I had to pull myself out when my Tundra front axle broke. Not a darn thing wrong with the Harbor Freight winches IMO. I plan to buy one for my Bronco as soon as I get it. I might just buy it now in case we continue having "Supply Chain Issues".

vPSkCSa.jpg

T4HTgM7.jpg

dxlT12C.jpg

hYQUl1d.jpg

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here is my Harbor Freight winch pulling my buddy out of the river bottom, plus another time I had to pull myself out when my Tundra front axle broke. Not a darn thing wrong with the Harbor Freight winches IMO. I plan to buy one for my Bronco as soon as I get it. I might just buy it now in case we continue having "Supply Chain Issues".

Ford Bronco Currently available winch solutions for 2021+ Bronco hYQUl1d

Originally the wire one I believe with the synthetic rope upgrade??? Right?

Sponsored

GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Totally agree that OP did an excellent job. Really appreciate this thread. When time of ordering (a very long, long time ago) I was expecting that Ford would have options for those of us with the front camera. I was surprised at how helpful it was when I went off-roading in a Bronco with it. I agree that "fail" might be too strong of a statement but it seems like a simple camera relocate kit would work. I ordered the mod bumper thinking adding a winch would be easy. Now it looks like I have to order a new bumper. Maybe Ford will still come out with a relocation kit for the camera? Maybe this solution doesn't work...I don't know. Though, the price of the winch from them probably equals new bumper and winch from the aftermarket.

So just disappointed that my planning ahead for a winch turned out not to work out, at this point.
I definitely understand where you, and many others, are coming from. I, too, was one who put an installed winch as a must-have for my Bronco and placed order for winch solution just in case until more info came in on compatibility. Unfortunately, I also want my vehicles to have all the bells-and-whistles... all the creature comforts. That's just how I want it even though do I see the benefits for not having features such as leather-trim, power adjustable seats, carpeted flooring, etc. ... especially if you do a decent amount of off-roading.

The most problematic accessory for the Bronco is the ACC... front camera of the 360 camera system is next... both due to their required placements. You can turn on/off the front parking sensors via menu selection.

I do not see where Ford could have placed those accessories to work with the winch solution, especially because of its minimalist/clean design and retention of approach angle.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I definitely understand where you, and many others, are coming from. I, too, was one who put an installed winch as a must-have for my Bronco and placed order for winch solution just in case until more info came in on compatibility. Unfortunately, I also want my vehicles to have all the bells-and-whistles... all the creature comforts. That's just how I want it even though do I see the benefits for not having features such as leather-trim, power adjustable seats, carpeted flooring, etc. ... especially if you do a decent amount of off-roading.

The most problematic accessory for the Bronco is the ACC... front camera of the 360 camera system is next... both due to their required placements. You can turn on/off the front parking sensors via menu selection.

I do not see where Ford could have placed those accessories to work with the winch solution, especially because of its minimalist/clean design and retention of approach angle.
That's why the Rough Country Winch Mount is such a good solution (other than needing to relocate one heat exchanger - which is not such a big deal in my mind). It is clean, minimalist, and retains the approach angle. Also, CG wise, it's lower mounting position is less detrimental to handling.

GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's why the Rough Country Winch Mount is such a good solution (other than needing to relocate one heat exchanger - which is not such a big deal in my mind). It is clean, minimalist, and retains the approach angle. Also, CG wise, it's lower mounting position is less detrimental to handling.
Rough Country's solution seems like it has solved some issues for some, but I'm not in agreement with that... relocating, removing, and/or cutting things is not my preferred way of equipping any vehicle with accessories and only as a last resort! Does Rough Country's solution work for 2.7L-equipped Broncos? Which bumpers/plates is it compatible with? Do you have to cut off pieces of the frame for this to fit? Does it require relocation and/or removal of components? What choices of winch can be selected?

It's the same issue I had when I looked at the thought of adding a winch to my '18 Raptor for some added peace-of-mind when wheeling solo. The one choice I could find at the time required an aftermarket intercooler for relocation in front of the radiator, which in turn requires the disconnect and complete removal of the shutters that are in front of radiator. Dremel out a small panel for fairlead... hard pass!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Rough Country's solution seems like it has solved some issues for some, but I'm not in agreement with that... relocating, removing, and/or cutting things is not my preferred way of equipping any vehicle with accessories and only as a last resort! Does Rough Country's solution work for 2.7L-equipped Broncos? Which bumpers/plates is it compatible with? Do you have to cut off pieces of the frame for this to fit? Does it require relocation and/or removal of components? What choices of winch can be selected?

It's the same issue I had when I looked at the thought of adding a winch to my '18 Raptor for some added peace-of-mind when wheeling solo. The one choice I could find at the time required an aftermarket intercooler for relocation in front of the radiator, which in turn requires the disconnect and complete removal of the shutters that are in front of radiator. Dremel out a small panel for fairlead... hard pass!
I am quite sure that you already know the answers below. It's not a perfect solution, not even close, but there isn't any better solutions currently on the market either.

Does Rough Country's solution work for 2.7L-equipped Broncos?
Not out of the box. Requires relocating the transmission/radiator heat exchanger.

Which bumpers/plates is it compatible with?
So far, just the standard bumper is directly compatible. Someone did adapt it to work with the mod bumper, but required some fabrication to make it right.

Do you have to cut off pieces of the frame for this to fit?

I really wouldn't describe it as cutting off frame pieces, but rather locating blocks that were spot welded to the frame and non-structural.

Does it require relocation and/or removal of components?

It requires removal of two assembly horns (for vehicle location during assembly). These are tack welded to the frame, but must be cut off.

No other modifications needed on the 2.3. On the 2.7 the heat exchanger for the 2.7 transmission to radiator coolant must be relocated.

What choices of winch can be selected?
Anything that has the standard 10x4 bolt pattern, like Warn, Smittybuilt, HF, Rough Country, etc.

As far as the fairlead goes, I was able to bolt up the HF fairlead, but it is not recessed like the Rough Country winch fairlead is.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Originally the wire one I believe with the synthetic rope upgrade??? Right?
Correct. I replaced the wire/cable with synthetic for weight and aesthetic reasons. Also, synthetic rope just drops to the ground when it shears where-as wire rope comes back at you with high force and speed.
If I was using wire rope to pull I would also drape blankets over the rope to minimize damage if the rope fails.
Sponsored