Sponsored

Curt hitch or get Ford installed tow package?

fritobandito

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex/bronco ordered
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a 2 dr 23 that did not have towing option added. I am looking at options for a bit more cargo space. I am considering the curt hitch I could do myself and not worry about wiring. I would just use the receiver to add a cargo basket of some type. Or would it be better to get the tow package done and have the wiring as well? I don't know that I would tow anything that needed wiring but it may be better to have than not in the long run.
Sponsored

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2024 Rivian R1S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just bought the curt and am about to go install it actually. I plan on buying the Ford lighting kit and having the dealership install that. As far as I could tell from my research the Ford hitch isn’t required in order to have the light wiring run. So IMO not necessary to buy the more expensive Ford one.

On my BB I used to have I installed the Ford one and can’t tell any quality difference between the two.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installing the Curt hitch is all of four bolts, if you can handle it.

I'm not sure the grand total for the Ford hitch and wiring, but the wiring is a good system. If you ever need to drag a small utility trailer for any reason .... more camping gear, firewood, landscaping needs, or a small camping trailer .... you'll be covered for lighting hook up & surge brakes override (reverse).

You could also install the hitch yourself and just have them install the wiring at a later date, I believe it's a separate package.

Sponsored

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Plug and play name brand wiring harness's are available under $75 . Quality class 4 receiver hitches are available as low as $89. Simple 4 bolt installation and no you don't have to remove the bumper like some will say. If all you want to use is a cargo basket that should work.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It comes down to, if you want the computer to know what you are doing.
Bolting on any hitch will work and is by far the cheaper option and nothing wrong with that option.
But if you want the Bronco to know you are towing, you have to get the module and wires to go with it, and then have a dealer tell the computer to 'see' the module. All that is obviously more money, depends on what you want.

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I bought the Curt hitch and a Curt wiring kit made specifically for Bronco. Easy install on both. No programming needed. Of course, I only have a four pin plug, but that's enough for most small trailers.

If you decide to buy the Curt wiring kit, make sure you get the one specifically for your tail lights. The halogen and LEDs have different plugs.

JojoReady

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just bought the curt and am about to go install it actually. I plan on buying the Ford lighting kit and having the dealership install that. As far as I could tell from my research the Ford hitch isn’t required in order to have the light wiring run. So IMO not necessary to buy the more expensive Ford one.

On my BB I used to have I installed the Ford one and can’t tell any quality difference between the two.
I went this route and it worked out well. The Ford lighting kit even includes an additional plug bracket that fits the Curt hitch and gives it a factory look.

Sponsored

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I got the Draw Tite extended hitch and Curt wiring kit. Plug in line /pass thru with tail light harness. There are videos on YouTube and instructions. Fairly easy. I had to use a spacer and some additional washers as the bolts are a bit long.
Ford Bronco Curt hitch or get Ford installed tow package? IMG_9239

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I should have noted in my first post...
I have the curt hitch and harness(4pin) on the 2dr.
Easy install, no issues. Harness works fine for 4 pin applications.

After towing with the 4dr with the factory tow pkg, I'm going to upgrade the 2dr wiring to the Ford version with the 7 pin round.

The trailers I move around have 5 pins minimum for the surge brake override for reversing.... the 5th pin.

The boat is 3000# loaded and the utility trailers are rated 3500# as well, thus they all require the surge brakes.
When you try to back a surge brake equipped trailer, the brakes engage, so you have to get out a engage the manual over ride ...or... if equipped, when it senses your reverse lights, it locks out the trailer brakes.

FWIW, the 4dr tows the boat like a champ. You'll feel the weight a bit more than a 1/2 ton truck, but powerwise it's better than any small block V8 I've towed that boat with.

Mr Toad

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Installing the Curt receiver is easy and same as the factory hitch, so no worries. If you ever anticipate towing something with surge disc brakes or electric brakes, a 7 pin wiring system is needed. Small trailers without brakes can use a flat 4 pin which is easier to install, but less flexible. With the 7 pin, you can get plug in adapters for 5 and 4 pin set ups. Here are videos I put up on the hitch and wiring installs for the Curt hitch (https://amzn.to/3VF7s7i) and Ford/Lumen 7 pin factory wiring harness (https://accessories.ford.com/bronco-2...)

Only the Ford Lumen tow package integrates with the Bronco's vehicle stability and camera systems after Towbar Configuration is enabled in FDRS software. This provides Trailer Sway control and disables rear proximity sensors to reduce annoying false warnings. Without programming, all lighting and 12V pass through functions still work when a trailer is detected.

RobWTX

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I got a deal on a Curt hitch from a local shop that someone bought, then 9 months later decided they did not want any longer. I just put the hitch on, and have the wiring on a shelf in case I decide I ever want to actually tow something.

805Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 EB FSB Bronco; 2021 Outer Banks 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I too opted for the Curt extended hitch. You just gotta be careful when the tailgate is open, as that extended hitch is a real shin buster 🤬
Sponsored