peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I got quoted $2,400 from a Maaco franchise in Westchester County NY that has a ton of good reviews on Yelp. Economically an expensive area for just about anything. Spoke to the guy and he basicly said, "I don't want to talk you out of giving me money but you do know the resale will go down if you paint a new car?" He was going to do the door jambs, not roof, inside, roll bars or engine bay. In researching, I read that for medium sized cars you should plan on using a gallon and have a quart in reserve. TCP Global is showing paint kits for a lot less than the $3,000 range folks have referenced. Not sure what to believe at this point.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm not anti-wrap, but know that wraps last an average 2-7 years depending on how hard of a life they had and the quality of material. Also, the longer you have it on there, the more expensive it is to have it removed/replaced. There are tools and chemicals out there now that make it much easier than it used to be though. You just might want to consider how long you are going to have the truck and how many times you would have to pay to keep wrapping it. The beauty of the Bronco, is you bring the hood, doors, fenders, and tailgate to the paint shop as loose parts and save a good bit of labor costs if you're OK with the inside panels being the original color (no different than the wrap job).

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maaco can get that done for $2,000, but you said reputable.
Funny, just last night my wife and I were talking about old times and she randomly brought up Earl Scheib's "I'll paint any car for $99.99" (so, yeah, we're old). I told her that was the absolute bottom end and included ZERO prep. If your car was dirty, it got painted that way. If there was a leaf somewhere, it got painted over. Yeah, they'd "paint your car" for under $100 but, man, you really got what you paid for.

The Maaco reference brought back memories, thanks.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would never paint a new or newish car that’s in perfectly good shape and I would not buy a car that was painted unless it’s old or classic and needed it. It will kill the resale.

I would absolutely wrap it though.
Ford Bronco Custom colors by painting F047AB29-64BA-49DA-9321-1C5AA60BB0EE

Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Funny, just last night my wife and I were talking about old times and she randomly brought up Earl Scheib's "I'll paint any car for $99.99" (so, yeah, we're old). I told her that was the absolute bottom end and included ZERO prep. If your car was dirty, it got painted that way. If there was a leaf somewhere, it got painted over. Yeah, they'd "paint your car" for under $100 but, man, you really got what you paid for.

LOL , me too . We had a Maaco and a Earl Scheib within a 1/4 mile of our shop in Norcross Ga back in the 80's . You ain't lying about the dirt and the leaf . They would also paint the windows and you would have to razor blade it off to leave :)

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This brought back memories of a friend's car and his painted license plate from Earl Scheib. LOL

The Cactus Grey is the only reason I would upgrade from the base to the Big Bend, as I want a more basic Bronco, but paying an extra $5K to get the paint color I like is hard to stomach.

LOL , me too . We had a Maaco and a Earl Scheib within a 1/4 mile of our shop in Norcross Ga back in the 80's . You ain't lying about the dirt and the leaf . They would also paint the windows and you would have to razor blade it off to leave :)

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got quoted $2,400 from a Maaco franchise in Westchester County NY that has a ton of good reviews on Yelp. Economically an expensive area for just about anything. Spoke to the guy and he basicly said, "I don't want to talk you out of giving me money but you do know the resale will go down if you paint a new car?" He was going to do the door jambs, not roof, inside, roll bars or engine bay. In researching, I read that for medium sized cars you should plan on using a gallon and have a quart in reserve. TCP Global is showing paint kits for a lot less than the $3,000 range folks have referenced. Not sure what to believe at this point.
You get what you pay for.
I've bought non-name brand stuff off of TCP before and its a hit-or-miss.
Nason is a decent quality basecoat and it will cost between $400-700 per gallon for most normal colors.
It is the bare minimum line I will use on anything, ever. I've personally had failures using Ebay and TCP paints, and did everything textbook perfect.
The clear runs, as Rick said, about $300 per gallon for good stuff. Anything less than that and it is cheap clear that will have issues down the road. Good clears have UV protectants in them that keeps the sun from fading the base color, and they flow out well, adhere well, and don't dye-back ( get dull/hazy looking) 6 months later.
Then there are the reducers, activators, prep solvents, sandpaper, masking materials, etc.
I've done dozens of vehicles and I know what the cost going in is for a "scuff and shoot".
I can do it cheaper than 8-10k, but not near what Maaco does (again, you get what you pay for).
True quality jobs that you want to last require disassembly of some stuff, not just taping it off.

Long story short, painting is pretty major and will cost at least 6k, potentially reduce the value (or improve it), and is a "Once you start it you can't go back" situation. And as also mentioned, absolutely only sand with purpose as to not break down to the metal. So it takes some skill and effort to do it right.
Wrapping will cost ya a little less than half that. But is is not permanent (good or bad).

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
this was $800 total.

I know in the raptor world there are vendors who specialized in custom graphics. I am sure this will be the same for the bronco once these shops get their hands on a bronco.

how much did that cost you? I am planning on getting white and want to put some green stripes on the sides that maybe connect over the hood

Last edited:

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
a quality paint job will run you 10k. And I am talking about the one where the windshield has to be removed.

you are correct that a wrap will not last forever. It will last you 5 years if you take care of it (seal it with something to protect it from UV). the 5 years time will vary if you are in AZ/Florida and park it outside ... ect.

for 10k you can wrap it 3x and change the color and spice up your ride.

Btw ... a wrap protects your paint from pin striping if you off-road. Damage a panel then just peel it off and re wrap it.

I'm not anti-wrap, but know that wraps last an average 2-7 years depending on how hard of a life they had and the quality of material. Also, the longer you have it on there, the more expensive it is to have it removed/replaced. There are tools and chemicals out there now that make it much easier than it used to be though. You just might want to consider how long you are going to have the truck and how many times you would have to pay to keep wrapping it. The beauty of the Bronco, is you bring the hood, doors, fenders, and tailgate to the paint shop as loose parts and save a good bit of labor costs if you're OK with the inside panels being the original color (no different than the wrap job).

Last edited:

Sponsored

CalPilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Earl Scheib for the win!!! ?

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
a quality paint job will run you 10k. And I am talking about the one where the windshield has to be removed.

you are correct that a wrap will not last forever. It will last you 5 years if you take care of it (seal it with something to protect it from UV). the 5 years time will vary if you are in AZ/Florida and park it outside ... ect.

for 10k you can wrap it 3x and change the color and spice up your ride.

Btw ... a wrap protects your paint from pin striping if you off-road. Damage a panel then just peel it off and re wrap it.
Don't forget you have to pay someone to remove the wrap each time as well. You can have the Bronco outside panels painted much cheaper than 10K by taking panels in loose on a brand new vehicle. Just throwing out suggestions for those unaware.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You can remove it yourself. If the wrap is in good condition just use a heat gun and it will peel right off. Tons of videos on youtube on how to do it. You can def do it yourself.

Don't forget you have to pay someone to remove the wrap each time as well. You can have the Bronco outside panels painted much cheaper than 10K by taking panels in loose on a brand new vehicle. Just throwing out suggestions for those unaware.

JW55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Does it have to be completely green? Maybe you could get an all black or all white Bronco and just wrap a big green stripe on it. The wrap would need to be carried inside of the door openings so it wouldn't look terrible with the doors off.

It would be a lot cheaper than a paint job and it shouldn't impact the resale value.

Ford Bronco Custom colors by painting gb

Ford Bronco Custom colors by painting gw

OP
OP
Skmarshall

Skmarshall

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 F150, '16 Escape, '19 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does it have to be completely green? Maybe you could get an all black or all white Bronco and just wrap a big green stripe on it. The wrap would need to be carried inside of the door openings so it wouldn't look terrible with the doors off.

It would be a lot cheaper than a paint job and it shouldn't impact the resale value.

Those both look amazing. I think I just found the right look.
Sponsored