Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

maybe for the guys with a current 4X4 and have a custom (rear) bumper...do the aftermarket bumper manufacturers take into consideration the tow hitch?....or do they offer some kind of solution with their custom designs?...I may be jumping the gun here , but the $600 ( factory) towing option is kinda high for what you get ( at least the with info we currently have) ...I would rather forget the factory option and put the money toward a custom rear bumper that is designed to work with an aftermarket hitch....anybody have any experience with the aftermarket bumper suppliers ( and towing) ?
Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My warn used the factory Receiver hitch. It hangs lower then the bumper. The hitch is just 4 bolts so nothing to take off or put on. If you don’t plan on pulling a trailer you wouldn’t need to get the wiring and I couldn’t see it costing that much to get a receiver hitch from ford.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought most aftermarket off-road bumpers came with a reciever built in, No? Seems like trying to fit a standard aftermarket hitch around a custom bumper is a tall order.

Maybe I'm clueless, but aftermarkets are not cheap and to lose your ability to tow by buying their product...ouch.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought most aftermarket off-road bumpers came with a reciever built in, No? Seems like trying to fit a standard aftermarket hitch around a custom bumper is a tall order.

Maybe I'm clueless, but aftermarkets are not cheap and to lose your ability to tow by buying their product...ouch.
I haven’t found this to be any concerns in this regard. On my Jeep the factory hitch location and the factory bumper don’t interfere....
And aftermarket bumper manufacturers just adhere to the general dimensions as the OEM bumper, so there aren’t any issues with the hitch.
Some aftermarket bumper do include a hitch, so in that case, still no issue.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I would put forward that if you don't get the factory tow package, then on top of having to buy a hitch, you're also going to be wiring in the trailer connector as well. Which isn't going to be free and/or without a time commitment on your part to have put in as well.

Factory comes with a compact 4 or 7-pin dual connector. I suppose you could save $20 by only wiring in one connector for whatever trailer you're going to be having (brakes aren't all that important as nearly all trailers at 3,500 lbs or less max weight aren't going to have brakes).

For me though, i'd want that 7-pin availability, especially if I was towing something important long distances.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thats what I've seen alot of folks mention.. but is a pre-wired harness really worth $600? Are they that hard to install? One would think the factory plug is somewhere back there. I can't imagine they have a totally different wire harness all the way from the front they replace with a pigtail just for those that buy the tow package..... but maybe again they do.... and that's why it cost $600

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven’t found this to be any concerns in this regard. On my Jeep the factory hitch location and the factory bumper don’t interfere....
And aftermarket bumper manufacturers just adhere to the general dimensions as the OEM bumper, so there aren’t any issues with the hitch.
Some aftermarket bumper do include a hitch, so in that case, still no issue.
what he said.

if you never plan on pulling anything buying a hitch later and installing would be fine. I believe it’s just a 4 pin that comes with the 600$. If you get it done somewhere I bet it would cost as much if you just got it Done from the factory. If you do it yourself I am sure you could save a little.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thats what I've seen alot of folks mention.. but is a pre-wired harness really worth $600? Are they that hard to install? One would think the factory plug is somewhere back there. I can't imagine they have a totally different wire harness all the way from the front they replace with a pigtail just for those that buy the tow package..... but maybe again they do.... and that's why it cost $600
I’ve seen manufactures go both ways on this... I think it’s safe to say that we won’t know until we know.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ran a 4/7 with a brake controller and hitch for about $300. It's not much of a challenge but a little time consuming. 4 pins are usually super simple but the extra wires for the 7pin and controller take some time to wire in the front and route to the back.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If the tow package is not available on the Base I would sure consider a bumper/hitch combo opposed to a hangy downy receiver. It's the first thing to hit on my Rubicon, but then it's made of iron...so that's OK

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would normaly go for a tow package but it seems like only the wiring plug and a mini style bolt on hitch is included. I have never bought a aftermarket bumper and have only ever built them myself with some strikes and gutters. I will have to wait to see what for makes available for bumpers, but whether the hitch is included or not I will probably add it myself.

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Many pre-wired plug-n-play custom wiring harnesses available that plug into the factory wiring for all makes and models, here is but one example.

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2019_Jeep_Grand+Cherokee.htm

Ford Bronco Custom rear bumpers and tow hitches c55774_39_1000
The 18 Edge and 20 Explorer I've had both came without a hitch. I added a 2in Class III to each for around $150. The Edge was a simple bolt-on, the Explorer did require some trimming to the heat shields and bumper cover. Both required dropping the exhaust, but that wasn't overly difficult.

I didn't do the wiring because I was only using a cargo basket, but both are plug and play similar to this. Unplug a factory connector and each side plugs back into the trailer harness, basically forming a TEE. The harness is about $60 if I recall correctly. Hopefully Ford will continue this trend.

On my 19 Canyon without a hitch, the harness hard wires in, but all the wires are already at the bumper and simply capped off. It's just a matter of matching and connecting to the ends, no cutting into the middle of the light harness.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs