01tundra

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Toyota Tacoma / 2021 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just finished making a transmission skid plate.

I wanted to maintain maximum ground clearance and make a skid that was easy to install/remove.

Had a piece of scrap 3/16" steel plate out in the shop, so it was the chosen one.

Used M8 10.9 bolts and weld nuts to attach the new plate to the factory skid. For the back I purchased a factory transfer case skid plate M10 clip nut and bolt from Ruxer Ford.

My buddy works for a machine shop and had the lip on the plate bent with their CNC press brake.

Welded 1/4" angle stiffeners on top to make it a little stronger. Haven't had the welder fired up in a while and it shows :) .....but it's solid and not going anywhere.

The plate weighs in at 11.6 lbs. and the overall cost was $28 since I already had the plate.

PwWWCkD.jpg

vvkMq0E.png

53ZFsnm.png

rug3O6C.png

M2wrxXg.jpg

NPfmIrE.jpg

FUNFa28.png

74P0rNj.jpg

ALoKbEs.jpg

O8MAgFg.jpg
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did something similar, but considerably uglier.
It gets the job done, only out for my time, as it was scrap steel I had lying around as well.
Good job on the bend and weld nut idea.
Ties in nicely.
Much better than my iteration, which was a flat tombstone of plate with some plasma-cut holes/slots for bolting up.
Makes me want to go back and redo it now!

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice! Definitely trying to source the metal so I can do this too. Refuse to pay $400 for it

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
... Had a piece of scrap 3/16" steel plate out in the shop, so it was the chosen one.
Nice work. How does the 3/16" compare to the thickness of the various stock skid plates? I've got a hobby grade welder and plasma cutter, and am planning to build some skid plates, rock rails (and probably some bumpers). Haven't decided on the metal thickness for the skids.

OP
OP
01tundra

01tundra

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Toyota Tacoma / 2021 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice work. How does the 3/16" compare to the thickness of the various stock skid plates? I've got a hobby grade welder and plasma cutter, and am planning to build some skid plates, rock rails (and probably some bumpers). Haven't decided on the metal thickness for the skids.
The factory skid plates appear to be 3/16".

Ibuprofen3293

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I didn't realize the trans for the 2.3 sat higher than 2.7 and allowed for more clearance. Mabett skid claims to be 2.3L only? https://smile.amazon.com/Mabett-Transmission-Gearbox-Accessories-Chassic/dp/B0B215L2GB
I don't think the trans sits higher but the v6 has cross braces that hang a good bit lower than the I4. Most trans skid plates either completely cover the braces or hang low enough they clear them. OP looks like he went in between them on his design.

The mabett one is a little thin for what I want, wish they did a 3/16 or even 1/4" lol I think it's 3-4mm?

Sponsored

Ibuprofen3293

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think the trans sits higher but the v6 has cross braces that hang a good bit lower than the I4. Most trans skid plates either completely cover the braces or hang low enough they clear them. OP looks like he went in between them on his design.

The mabett one is a little thin for what I want, wish they did a 3/16 or even 1/4" lol I think it's 3-4mm?
I'm not buying or selling (I just want a skid plate for my transmission!), but the Mabett one is .25"/6mm aluminum.

I prefer North American made aftermarket parts, but the limited feedback for this one seems pretty good--especially for the price.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...021-2022-bronco-4dr-2-3l-available-now.53944/

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looks great, nice reinforcement and bend! Just enough to get the job done.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Watching. It seems most plates account for the V-6 cross braces and/or the front sta bar disco. The Mabett has a drop in front, apparently to clear the disco, which I don't have. I've been considering getting the Mabett and flipping it so it rises in the front. Would require straightening the bends in the rear to get crossover pipe clearance. Anybody know how tough bending the Mabett aluminum would be?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not to mention it comes in handy for oil changes! Holds a quart container perfectly just under the drain valley for removing the oil filter.

Ford Bronco Custom Transmission Skid Plate 41D5AEEE-C026-4677-A37E-61E9F1495E87
Sponsored