First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Highlander, ‘15 Taurus, ‘18 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m sure this question has been addressed but I have yet to find it.
Has anyone cut down the front side of the OEM Rock Rails to be able to mount a mud flap flush against the fender flares?
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m sure this question has been addressed but I have yet to find it.
Has anyone cut down the front side of the OEM Rock Rails to be able to mount a mud flap flush against the fender flares?

Yes there has, I believe it is @Tricky Dick. Look up posts by him and I believe he took 2 inches off. if I remember right. :unsure:

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes there has I believe it is @Tricky Dick. Look up posts by him and I believe he took 2 inches off. if I remember right. :unsure:
That's right. I wrapped it with painters tape to mark the line, used a skinny wheel for the cut, then a flap disc for minor cleanup. Measured the holes and transfered them over. If I were to do it again I'd weld steel caps on instead.

OP
OP
JBTHERAT

JBTHERAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Highlander, ‘15 Taurus, ‘18 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks so much!

RyanP

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

[/QUOTE]
That's right. I wrapped it with painters tape to mark the line, used a skinny wheel for the cut, then a flap disc for minor cleanup. Measured the holes and transfered them over. If I were to do it again I'd weld steel caps on instead.
Did you need to take 2 inches off the rails? I’m probably Going to try cutting my rails so the $50 ford mud flaps fit. I was thinking about an inch would do it and keep the rails close to the flaps. Thoughts?

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you need to take 2 inches off the rails? I’m probably Going to try cutting my rails so the $50 ford mud flaps fit. I was thinking about an inch would do it and keep the rails close to the flaps. Thoughts?
[/QUOTE]
@Tricky Dick will chime in, but I think the size of the cut was determined by the width of the tape. No other reason than the tape on hand was what he used as a reference to get a straight cut.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Tricky Dick will chime in, but I think the size of the cut was determined by the width of the tape. No other reason than the tape on hand was what he used as a reference to get a straight cut.
[/QUOTE]
This exactly. 1 inch may be fine. I never got around to putting the mud flaps on so I can't say how much extra room there is.

RyanP

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This exactly. 1 inch may be fine. I never got around to putting the mud flaps on so I can't say how much extra room there is.
[/QUOTE]
On the top i found that an inch wasn’t quite enough. 1 1/4” worked. An inch on the lower portion is more than enough. The angled cut off the rail and arc of the mud flap make it different if you want it pretty flush for aesthetics and / or potentially attaching the two for extra support as the mud flap is somewhat flimsy. Thank you to the group as always for the great info and help!!!