Sponsored

"D" Rated Tires = More Static Roof Weight?

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've read a few threads that the comically light roof rating on SAS-equipped broncos (something like 120-130#) is due to the lower rating of the stock goodyear tires (C-rating I believe)

Question: If / when I upgrade to some D or E rated tires, i.e. like some Nitto Ridge Grapplers, what's the black art / sorcery calculation for additional roof weight capacity?

The GY are rated to 2500#, the Nittos are 3500#... so does that get me a 1/3rd more static roof weight capacity? double?

New to this, so thanks in advance for the newbie question.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I highly doubt that scenario. I'd think it has more to do with rollover stability, ability to hold the load under crash or crash avoidance manuvers, etc etc etc.
Some of the trims have C rated tires and they took away the option of a factory roof rack.

Just my wild guess.

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
and, at least my view, is that it also has to do with GVWR, in other words, they had to reduce available load somewhere to compensate for the extra weight of Sasq. equipment, without eliminating the required x-passenger base load. This vehicle, for some reason, is obviously limited in weight capacity, probably because of the independent front?

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would guess that Ford is a little reluctant to tell people to load up the roof rack due to the past rollover problem with the Bronco II, not a good idea to add a bunch of weight up high especially on an already tall vehicle (especially the Sasquatch)

On top of that, the low limit may help to discourage someone from going to Home Depot and loading 1000 lbs of plywood onto it.
Sponsored