First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey Everyone, I wanted to get some opinions from those of you that have your broncos and are daily driving them. I have a 4 door OBX 2.7 non squatch on order and have been wondering if I made the right engine choice. It will be driving city and hwy miles pretty evenly split. My husband wants the 2.7 (and im always game for the bigger engine with more power) but how bad will my MPG be compared to the 2.3? Is there a big enough difference for me to even be putting thought into this? Does driving the 2.7 vs the 2.3 justify the lesser MPG in smiles?? Lol I know this isnt a vehicle for good fuel economy, but given we have the choice, I feel its worth asking.
Sponsored

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, it’s all relative - you’ll get better than my 14-16 mpg (2.7 squatched), so go for it! Smiles per gallon!

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gosh I wish I could help you out here! (still waiting)
Cool to hear you like the larger engine option as well! I say great choice and I'd imagine the difference is probably minor unless you really rack up the mikes.
Good luck. I'm sure someone here can ad clarity to the difference.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems like the model and gearing have a bigger impact on MPG than the engine choice.

Sponsored

bikearch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The difference is minimal!! On a trip with my bud his 2.7 got 16.7mpg and my 2.3 got 18mpg...mostly highway with some moderate 4x4ing.

Kevin W

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMB 4dr Sasq Base and an Erup Green 2dr Sasq Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.7 Sasquatch’d Base 4 door. 15.9 mpg. I just turned 5000 miles with no mpg reset so that’s what I can expect.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Look at it this way Lauren, there are many folks that drive the 2.7L F-150 daily. As stated the mpgs between the two choices isn't much. If this is your first turbo engine I will say that starting from a complete stop is what causes the worst mpgs. I learned that with my 2.3L Ranger (my first turbo engine). I had to learn how to start without putting my right foot into the turbo when starting. Once I got that down the mpgs improved to mirror the estimated mpgs. Good luck on your choice.

BTW, I dropped the 2.7L in hopes of a sooner build date. From the videos, and reviews I've seen of the 2.3L it has plenty enough hp/torque to do the job in the Bronco. Driving my Ranger I thought that, but like you I figured the 2.7L would be much better. But, it turns out there isn't that much difference there either.

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m getting 17.3 with this. Commute is 2-3 miles city then 10 miles highway both ways. Base, v6, with 33’s

Still under 1k miles- my dealer said mpg should go up after properly broken in too. Who knows how much though!
I love it. The v6 is the right choice.
Ford Bronco Daily driving a 2.7 4 door ECF05ED3-A1F1-4B23-BBB3-0D84CE4805C2

Sponsored

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm over 8000 miles now in my 2.7 WT and have a lifetime mpg of 18.1 using only 87.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I daily drive my Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L 4 door (factory tires). It's better than my previous vehicle was, which had a 5.7L Hemi. The other day on the highway, without cruise control on, I was averaging 12.1 L/100 KM. In the city, it's more around 14/15. I have no issues with it as a daily driver, other than I wish the fuel tank itself was slightly larger.

OP
OP
Laurensimms7

Laurensimms7

Outer Banks
First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Badland 2.7 non sas i get around 17MPG combined, on the highway i can get around 19-20.
That is actually reasonable. Im seeing some people post that they are getting 11 and that is nuts

OP
OP
Laurensimms7

Laurensimms7

Outer Banks
First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Look at it this way Lauren, there are many folks that drive the 2.7L F-150 daily. As stated the mpgs between the two choices isn't much. If this is your first turbo engine I will say that starting from a complete stop is what causes the worst mpgs. I learned that with my 2.3L Ranger (my first turbo engine). I had to learn how to start without putting my right foot into the turbo when starting. Once I got that down the mpgs improved to mirror the estimated mpgs. Good luck on your choice.

BTW, I dropped the 2.7L in hopes of a sooner build date. From the videos, and reviews I've seen of the 2.3L it has plenty enough hp/torque to do the job in the Bronco. Driving my Ranger I thought that, but like you I figured the 2.7L would be much better. But, it turns out there isn't that much difference there either.
Thank you for the detailed response! I currently drive a turbo’d sedan, and get about 23 mpg. I also have learned not to slam the petal so hopefully that helps me here. I actually test drove a 2.3 bronco and it had much more pep than I was expecting. We always see a bigger engine as the “better choice” though so even though the 2.3 was definitely adequate, our hearts say theres something better dangling in front of us LOL

OP
OP
Laurensimms7

Laurensimms7

Outer Banks
First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m getting 17.3 with this. Commute is 2-3 miles city then 10 miles highway both ways. Base, v6, with 33’s

Still under 1k miles- my dealer said mpg should go up after properly broken in too. Who knows how much though!
I love it. The v6 is the right choice.
Ford Bronco Daily driving a 2.7 4 door ECF05ED3-A1F1-4B23-BBB3-0D84CE4805C2
Awesome- that’s probably what I should expect then
Sponsored