Sponsored

daily reminder to winch buyers. Dont do that.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I swear in one of the recent videos from KOH the Ford guy says that they were wanting Warn to move the contactor from the top of the winch to the side so that there is less interference with the camera.
They were talking about Warn's control pack relocation option on the Zeons. You put it somewhere else, usually under the hood. DIY. Warn's EVO series has this capability built in.
Sponsored

JB1901

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There will be aftermarket options. The 4600 truck has a hidden winch. Worst case scenario you can figure out a front hitch mounting option and remove the winch when you don’t need it. I’m not getting the Ford winch because I like the idea of the camera AND I don’t like looking at a winch sticking a foot off the bumper.
Same. The winch option is pricey and poorly placed. It was definitely an afterthought. There should be better options avaliable in the aftermarket pretty quickly.

Torgsurv

Base
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Bronco XLT 5.0 "Mando"
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Agree here - a better solution will come out. Though if you removed the bull bar and moved the winch solenoid box, you’d get most of the view back.

I figure I’ve lived without a winch (even with a winch ready bumper) this long: wait for the better thought out design.
The bull bar, or "cactus smasher" as Stroppe liked to call it, does not obstruct the camera. I rode in an FE with the cactus smasher and no winch, and there camera had a clear view. I heard from Esteban at Super Cel West in October that Warn does have or will have a solenoid relocation kit, so that will help considerably.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bull bar, or "cactus smasher" as Stroppe liked to call it, does not obstruct the camera. I rode in an FE with the cactus smasher and no winch, and there camera had a clear view. I heard from Esteban at Super Cel West in October that Warn does have or will have a solenoid relocation kit, so that will help considerably.
The whole Zeon series has relocatable solenoids, as do a number of other winch lines.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just remember that the biggest piece that is blocking the view is the control pack on the Xeon 10-S. It can be mounted elsewhere (i.e under hood), this doesn't completely remove it from the front camera view, but worth keeping in mind.

I didn't add it as an accessory in my order because I'm not paying the extra grand for the modular mount which may or may not be ready at delivery time. I'm going to wait and see what mounting solutions Warn, Smitty and ARB come up with before I decide to get one. I'm probably not going to need the winch day one with my new baby, but if I did I can recover the old school way.

Sponsored

Fold

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Kia EV6, Mach E, Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know whether the brush guard causes a similar problem?

bpurtz

First Edition
First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Rubi, Sierra Denali, Taco TRD Pro, 4Run LTD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Does anyone know whether the brush guard causes a similar problem?
According to comment #63 on this thread, the "cactus smasher" doesn't interfere with the front camera...

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was more than concerned when I first saw images of the front view camera with the Ford Performance winch solution. But as time has gone on and I’ve seen more, especially the KOH videos, I think if I relocate the control box it will make it tolerable, considering the horizon is very high on the screen and the front wheel view is unaffected, it will work more than enough for me.
The fisheye lens makes the fore ground appear much larger than it really is...just my thoughts.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think you are correct. The control pack is a significant amount of the height.

Ford Bronco daily reminder to winch buyers. Dont do that. 1613005608649

rmanecke

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83CJ / 87YJ Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dumb question... if you do something like this... how do you make sure the winch line isn't piling up, how to you clean it, etc... or does that not matter with synthetic rope?

Ford Bronco daily reminder to winch buyers. Dont do that. 1616543737436

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting point you’ve made here. After seeing the vids, and as a winch buyer, I’m second guessing that on the order, but admit I don’t want to pay for it aftermarket while still paying for the Bronco. However, I’ll need a winch within the first 5 years.

I wheel my old Disco with a winch, and can’t imagine not having it. Guess I’ll need to rely only on straps which is fine I guess and my trusty MaxTrax which get me out of most shit Anyway.

Thoughts?........:unsure:
Max tracks and an 8k lb hand winch for me. It’s slow, but likely worthwhile in a pinch. Hopefully we get a good mount option for the hi-jack too. That might be the way to go. Had one on my LJ and never used it for recovery, but better to have and not need than need and not have🥺
Sponsored