Sponsored

daily reminder to winch buyers. Dont do that.

ResidualGenius

Wildtrak
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Come on man, you don't miss those days do you?
Still use map(topo)/compass for SAR, what would be crazy if technology crashed (like they keep saying), only some the old folks would be able to be getting around or now the street rotations of cities.

And its funny my post was more of a joke and people are too serious on here. But, I've had those partners (ambulance) that you best hold on with!! LOL
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still use map(topo)/compass for SAR, what would be crazy if technology crashed (like they keep saying), only some the old folks would be able to be getting around or now the street rotations of cities.

And its funny my post was more of a joke and people are too serious on here. But, I've had those partners (ambulance) that you best hold on with!! LOL
Yea, I see a number of guys went in on you; unfortunate. But when someone leaves an opening for jokes, guys here go on in.

Like I said, everyone needs to have maps and know how to read them. GPS doesn't always work and cell phones are useless only a mile or so off in a trail.

I took your post as tongue in cheek.

ResidualGenius

Wildtrak
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yea, I see a number of guys went in on you; unfortunate. But when someone leaves an opening for jokes, guys here go on in.
You cant ever lose knowing how to use the basics, many lose off technology.

This post reminded me of the dumb A$$ Ford commercial for backing a trailer and the women could have simplify pulled straight in to the pumps, instead of backing a trailer with the camera and screen

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Crazy no issues for decades, oh how technology has made softies. Wonder what would happen without navigation these days?? Damn compass, map books and street rotations :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
We probably are too dependent on technology, but I still like it because it makes things easier.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was going to buy a winch, and the camera thing didn't bother me too much. But I opted against it because it just didn't seem like an overwhelmingly great value. I know there will be good aftermarket solutions to count on but one thing that crossed my mind was to get a hitch mounted winch and then I can pop it on the back and eventually either buy or fabricate a front hitch receiver. Then I can essentially have two winches for the price of one. I obviously wouldn't drive around like that but it seems handy and cost effective. What are your thoughts on hitch mounted solutions including a front hitch receiver? It's not a perfect solution, certainly not the prettiest.

This will be my first winch set up. In the past my strategy was to never do serious wheeling alone, and straps have done the trick. I suppose that will still be good logic winch or not.

Sponsored

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bpurtz

First Edition
First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Rubi, Sierra Denali, Taco TRD Pro, 4Run LTD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I was going to buy a winch, and the camera thing didn't bother me too much. But I opted against it because it just didn't seem like an overwhelmingly great value. I know there will be good aftermarket solutions to count on but one thing that crossed my mind was to get a hitch mounted winch and then I can pop it on the back and eventually either buy or fabricate a front hitch receiver. Then I can essentially have two winches for the price of one. I obviously wouldn't drive around like that but it seems handy and cost effective. What are your thoughts on hitch mounted solutions including a front hitch receiver? It's not a perfect solution, certainly not the prettiest.

This will be my first winch set up. In the past my strategy was to never do serious wheeling alone, and straps have done the trick. I suppose that will still be good logic winch or not.
The receiver mounted is a good option - I was high centered on the snow here so I just moved the winch to the rear.
Ford Bronco daily reminder to winch buyers. Dont do that. 20160515_164159_001

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Be careful with those thoughts about "smaller". Not sure if you've had one before, but the winch needs to be rated a bit above the weight of your vehicle. The Warn Zeon here is a 10. I wouldn't go below this level for the Bronco. Don't think it needs a 12 either, but still.

Other bumpers will be made and something may eventually be done with the camera. Land Rover has done things perfectly on the new Defender with the hidden winch.

I don't like the winch on the 4600 race Bronco because I can't see the line spool back in easily. How do you clean it and otherwise access your winch without removal of that big heavy plate? Winch line needs to be cleaned after getting muddy and wet, then reattached; how difficult will that be in a hidden bumper?

Know lots of guys want to get creative here, but a winch is not the equivalent of a bulging sack hanging in fitted jeans, it has real application. If you've ever had one and used it, you know that easy access to the winch is essential. Even hanging too low is bad because think about being bogged in deep mud or sand; these are times when you'll need to shovel, then winch. Digging is part of it, but you don't want t to be digging out your winch. The 4600 sits very high, so factor that in as well.

Ultimately, that camera is "cool", but it won't be used much on trails over obstacles as there is far too much to watch besides what's under the tire. Plus, if you're on an obstacle, you'll have a spotter (if you're smart)

Will admit the winch isn't a perfect placement with that bumper, but the intercooler, radiator, and other parts will likely be impacted by what bumper goes on with a winch.
I admit I've never owned a winch before. (And I won't be getting a model with a camera) but I do know to get a winch that can pull the weight of the vehicle.
I merely hope to find one that does not sit so far out of the bumper, and more uniform with it as other manufacturers have done.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You make it sound like no one should get or can get a winch. Bah. Only for those with the 360 camera option have an issue to resolve. otherwise....not an issue.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
yes

go old school
Ford Bronco daily reminder to winch buyers. Dont do that. 20160515_164159_001
Been there done that. One inch at a time. However I have gotten my CJ so stuck before, in a rut in a creek bed at the bottom of a ravine in the snow, that I required a winch for pull, a hi lift for tire hooking root clearance, and a come along for direction. The only other option was calling in an air lift!

I say get a winch, dont pay $2500 for it. Cut a hole in the modular bumper and weld a plate in it. Done diddly.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I admit I've never owned a winch before. (And I won't be getting a model with a camera) but I do know to get a winch that can pull the weight of the vehicle.
I merely hope to find one that does not sit so far out of the bumper, and more uniform with it as other manufacturers have done.
No you have to get a winch that will pull 1.5 to 1.75 times the vehicle weight loader. A 4000lb winch is only good for pulling you up a driveway. A 8000lb will pull you out of a ditch. A 12,000lb will pull you up a tree.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I swear in one of the recent videos from KOH the Ford guy says that they were wanting Warn to move the contactor from the top of the winch to the side so that there is less interference with the camera.

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There will be aftermarket options. The 4600 truck has a hidden winch. Worst case scenario you can figure out a front hitch mounting option and remove the winch when you don’t need it. I’m not getting the Ford winch because I like the idea of the camera AND I don’t like looking at a winch sticking a foot off the bumper.
Sponsored