Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Part 6, Big Sinking Creek Trail & Road to Hell Creek. At this point we were well into our first 50 miles on the Byway loop, and nearing the end of the first day. These particular trails are not marked on many maps, and it helps to have the official digital DBBB map, a GPS, and perhaps the Gaia GPS topo and USFS maps here.

Oh... and finally got the Bronco order in. Black Diamond Soft Top 4dr 2.7 Mid Tow Sasquatch Eruption Green 😁

Ford Bronco Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway Bronco
Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@BroncoRick Just stumbled into this thread and had to say I have watched a ton of your videos over the last month. Needed to find some places somewhat local to me to get off pavement and found your channel. Loved your videos from Badlands off road park in Attica

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@BroncoRick Just stumbled into this thread and had to say I have watched a ton of your videos over the last month. Needed to find some places somewhat local to me to get off pavement and found your channel. Loved your videos from Badlands off road park in Attica
Hey thank you! So glad you are finding them useful. If you are in the area, then Redbird SRA is also a good place to go in addition to Badlands/Attica. Badlands has more varied terrain, but Redbird's trails are more well defined. Both are great for Jeeps/Broncos. 😎

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey thank you! So glad you are finding them useful. If you are in the area, then Redbird SRA is also a good place to go in addition to Badlands/Attica. Badlands has more varied terrain, but Redbird's trails are more well defined. Both are great for Jeeps/Broncos. 😎
They are very helpful! I did watch some of your videos on Redbird as well. I am in the suburbs of Chicago so Redbird and Badlands are close enough. Keep up the awesome videos. If you have any other places you can recommend for beginners I am all ears!

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They are very helpful! I did watch some of your videos on Redbird as well. I am in the suburbs of Chicago so Redbird and Badlands are close enough. Keep up the awesome videos. If you have any other places you can recommend for beginners I am all ears!
Badlands is definitely your best bet for experimenting close by. You can make that as easy or difficult as you want. A great way to get going there is to start off playing around in the "dunes", and as you get more comfortable with the capabilities of the car, and more familiar with the layout of the place, you can start wandering back into the creek, woods trails, rock gardens, and rock quarry.

You may want to check out the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail. I haven't done that yet, but it's a series of paved, gravel, dirt roads and trails similar to the Daniel Boone overland route, but it's not as difficult. It does take longer to traverse, however. I haven't done this yet but would like to travel it in the next couple of years. Check out the group "Illinois Overlanders" on Facebook for more info on that one.

We also really like Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky, although this is a further trek for you (I'm in east-central IL). There's a dedicated series of trails there called "Turkey Bay" and you can take trails out to the lake. There are also a number of short forest roads that go out to campsites on the lakes. Great MTB trails, amazing camping.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Badlands is definitely your best bet for experimenting close by. You can make that as easy or difficult as you want. A great way to get going there is to start off playing around in the "dunes", and as you get more comfortable with the capabilities of the car, and more familiar with the layout of the place, you can start wandering back into the creek, woods trails, rock gardens, and rock quarry.

You may want to check out the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail. I haven't done that yet, but it's a series of paved, gravel, dirt roads and trails similar to the Daniel Boone overland route, but it's not as difficult. It does take longer to traverse, however. I haven't done this yet but would like to travel it in the next couple of years. Check out the group "Illinois Overlanders" on Facebook for more info on that one.

We also really like Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky, although this is a further trek for you (I'm in east-central IL). There's a dedicated series of trails there called "Turkey Bay" and you can take trails out to the lake. There are also a number of short forest roads that go out to campsites on the lakes. Great MTB trails, amazing camping.
Thanks for the suggestions!

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ran Spaas Creek on Saturday with a bone stock Outer Banks, non-sas, open diff, no lockers, on basically street tires with the Bridgestone 255/70/18 AT's.

I felt it lift a couple of times and slip a wheel a couple of times. Had to back up a few times to bump up in a few spots because of no lockers. Took a bypass in a couple of spots also. A beginning wheeler may not do as well as I did without some help, with a stock Outer Banks. Did this run solo because I do have previous experience, granted it was 30+ years ago, but I still remember the technique of wheel placement. I had my recovery gear with me but didn't need it. We have a few pictures but didn't get out much to limit the crud inside the vehicle.

Was very impressed with the capabilities of a stock Outer Banks. In the right hands it can handle it,,,, can a newbie do it,,,, maybe,,,, with help and guidance,, and a buddy incase you get stuck.

Checking my line after the water crossing.
Ford Bronco Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway 20211113_141026

A few other random pics.

Ford Bronco Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway 20211113_134734
Ford Bronco Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway 20211113_140900
Ford Bronco Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway 20211113_135148
Ford Bronco Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway 20211113_134227
Ford Bronco Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway 20211113_134610

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Part 9, Old Fincastle Road. This road contains 2 of the most significant obstacles on the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway; a deep creek crossing and rock garden. I was highcentered on the big rock, but a Sasquatch should clear it. Anything less than a Sasquatch would likely have to winch or be pulled over it.

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just a heads up if you are worried about pin striping your ride you may want to rethink doing DBBB because that is definitely happing. Thats where 90% of my scratches came from. It nice off roading especially in this area. You can also hit The Ky adv 4x4 trail (KAT) is in the same area but that loop is in the 1000 mile range. I would rate it slightly harder then DBBB. This is the video my buddy filmed a few yrs ago

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just a heads up if you are worried about pin striping your ride you may want to rethink doing DBBB because that is definitely happing. Thats where 90% of my scratches came from. It nice off roading especially in this area. You can also hit The Ky adv 4x4 trail (KAT) is in the same area but that loop is in the 1000 mile range. I would rate it slightly harder then DBBB. This is the video my buddy filmed a few yrs ago

We did not find it too bad when we went a few months ago. There are some groups that I think do a fair amount of trail maintenance now, so it might depend what time of year. I could definitely see towards the end of spring or beginning of summer, some of the spots may grow in quite a bit and lead to some pinstripes. Would definitely like to do the whole KAT someday, it looks really fun.

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Part 10, Lower Devil Creek. After making it through Old Fincastle Road, this trail will be the last on the southern end of the DBBB loop, before heading north towards the Red River Gorge Geological Area.

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Part 11, Sandy Ridge Road. This is the last dirt you see before reaching the Red River Gorge Geological Area, until you get to Spaas Creek.

And I got a build week for the Bronco, middle of February!

Sponsored