Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks like I'm buying a universal marine usb socket and a dremel.

F the micro USB port, gimmie at least two of them big boys!
Agreed, I don't use Apple products so I don't have much need for the little one, I need real USB port. At least for now, until all the other electronics companies switch over to the type C.

I just don't have much confidence in making it look nice if I have to cut my own hole in the dash. Maybe its easy, I've just never tried anything like that.
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like I'm buying a universal marine usb socket and a dremel.

F the micro USB port, gimmie at least two of them big boys!
It's USB-C, not micro USB.
usb_connectors_20_30.jpg

It's for future-proofing (as much as is possible with tech these days). While USB-A is still by far the most common, USB-C is becoming more and more common.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having modded the dash somewhat on my Focus ST, I would suggest you pop the tray out and install your USB ports in it. In the ST there was a USB port on the radio in the dash so I just extended this port to the dash top instrument cluster. I mounted it beside my shift light indicator. Easy peasy.

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed, I don't use Apple products so I don't have much need for the little one, I need real USB port. At least for now, until all the other electronics companies switch over to the type C.
It's not just Apple that uses USB-C. My Google Pixel 3a, Sony wireless earbuds, and a LED video light all use a USB-C connector.

By the way, the panel by the phone charger has both types as well.
PXL_20210406_211628529.jpg

Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
FWIW, Ranger has no USB power provisions there. Ranger5g members have spent the entire $20 to get the USB setup from Raptor and install it. Push clips are pretty tricky, you'll also need a flat head screwdriver or plastic wedge.

If USB ports are why you "need" to buy the Lux package, those are some miiiiiiiiiighty expensive $20 parts you're after.

Will let you search their forum for the part numbers and trim needed. Ends up looking quite tidy, I know it works great in our Ranger.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I wonder how easy it will be to remove that piece. The plastic trim panel that is under discussion.

If it can be popped off without more dash removal, then wires should be easy to find and something like this could be installed.
Read my post above. Ranger 5g has the answer you're looking for.

OP
OP
Julz670

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's not just Apple that uses USB-C. My Google Pixel 3a, Sony wireless earbuds, and a LED video light all use a USB-C connector.

By the way, the panel by the phone charger has both types as well.
True, many other companies are switching and soon all will (should) use type C, it is definitely better. My Lenovo laptop even uses type C to plug into a dock that handles all USB type A devices, ethernet, and HDMI. Definitely a more universal plug than the USBs of the past.

Espy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I just don't have much confidence in making it look nice if I have to cut my own hole in the dash. Maybe its easy, I've just never tried anything like that.
In my 2007 F150, I had a truck accessory shop mount a Garmin GPS above the rear view mirror and run the wire inside the A-Pillar, add usb power both below and in the dash. Paid about $225 for the work and it looked great. I'd recommend something similar if you want USB in the dash.

Sponsored

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There’s this:

Ford Bronco Dashboard USB Ports on Non-Lux Bronco PXL_20210406_211628529

Not sure if this is production.
I don't understand what the sides of that rail attach to. There were no attachment points or slots for the sides of the rail in with Bronco I saw yesterday.

PXL_20210406_211518455.jpg

OP
OP
Julz670

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

FWIW, Ranger has no USB power provisions there. Ranger5g members have spent the entire $20 to get the USB setup from Raptor and install it. Push clips are pretty tricky, you'll also need a flat head screwdriver or plastic wedge.

If USB ports are why you "need" to buy the Lux package, those are some miiiiiiiiiighty expensive $20 parts you're after.

Will let you search their forum for the part numbers and trim needed. Ends up looking quite tidy, I know it works great in our Ranger.
Agreed, if the power ports are the only reason someone wants Lux, not worth the price when it can be done aftermarket for pretty cheap. I had planned on buying my own power ports and adding them, was just concerned about DIY because I want it to look nice and have never drilled into my dash before. I might still give it a go, working careful and precise, I should still be able to get it to look nice without going to a professional.

OP
OP
Julz670

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't understand what the sides of that rail attach to. There were no attachment points or slots for the sides of the rail in with Bronco I saw yesterday.
I assumed that the middle part of the rail is just SLIGHTLY lower than the sides, providing enough pressure to hold the sides down when the middle is screwed in. But on a real bumpy trail it might be annoying if you have a heavier device attached toward the end of the rail, may still bounce a lot.

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed, if the power ports are the only reason someone wants Lux, not worth the price when it can be done aftermarket for pretty cheap. I had planned on buying my own power ports and adding them, was just concerned about DIY because I want it to look nice and have never drilled into my dash before. I might still give it a go, working careful and precise, I should still be able to get it to look nice without going to a professional.
USB ports USB schmorts. I'm getting lux for the garage door opener!

😂

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Dashboard USB Ports on Non-Lux Bronco PXL_20210406_211518455
They don’t attach to anything. There’s just little feet that support the weight. I imagine the lips on the dash also help to prevent the rail from rotating around the center attachment point.

The rail in this thread is the 4wp part. Previously we had seen two different length prototypes. One like this, and one that comes to the ridge halfway out. Same little foot design.
Sponsored