Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have no fear. I'm absolutely drilling a hole in my dashboard to add USB outlets.

You just have to make sure that whatever USB adapters you get don't have lights, for reasons that should be obvious.
Sponsored

Blueoval

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer & 2010 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like I'm buying a universal marine usb socket and a dremel.

F the micro USB port, gimmie at least two of them big boys!
I agree and this is what I am doing on my build. Take your time and at the end, put down the dremel and use a plastic reamer or deburring tool. It is easy to go overboard with a dremel and end up with a slightly bigger, slightly oblong hole.

OP
OP
Julz670

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you! I did see that reply.

It seemed like it would come off separately but now it's looking real promisimg.

Edit: comparing those pics... I do not see any seams where the tray in the bronco could come out separately like the ranger. But on the Bronco it looks like the front-most piece, which includes the tray, is still separate from the rest of the dash upper, so it's still removable.
Im not sure what piece is supposed to come out, does it include the defrost vents?

Looking forward to pictures of everyone trying to rip their dash off lol i'm sure ya'll are right though, probably wont be that hard to get a piece off and drill a hole

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Has any tried this or looked into it more?

drdory

Outer Banks
First Name
Dory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 King Ranch,2014 Lexus RX350,2012 ES350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport (Wife), Bronco Badlands (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, the USBC ports (even though they are smaller) support a might higher power delivery.. ~20a for USB-C vs 1.5a for the USB-A ports.... So, if your wondering why your nice Samsung Tablet, or Iphone Max doesnt seem to be charging very fast.. try getting the USB-C or USB-C => lightning cord.. and you;ll see a big difference in charging..

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FWIW, the USBC ports (even though they are smaller) support a might higher power delivery.. ~20a for USB-C vs 1.5a for the USB-A ports.... So, if your wondering why your nice Samsung Tablet, or Iphone Max doesnt seem to be charging very fast.. try getting the USB-C or USB-C => lightning cord.. and you;ll see a big difference in charging..
Max on USBC is 3.0A. The standard adjusts the voltage during power delivery to do 100watts or more but the tiny wires limit current

To do 20A at household voltages you need 10 or 12awg wire. Even bigger would be needed at USB voltages. That would be a darn big USB cable!

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Max on USBC is 3.0A. The standard adjusts the voltage during power delivery to do 100watts or more but the tiny wires limit current

To do 20A at household voltages you need 10 or 12awg wire. Even bigger would be needed at USB voltages. That would be a darn big USB cable!
Ford Bronco Dashboard USB Ports on Non-Lux Bronco 1633390649090
Remember we're only talking 5vdc 5vdc@ 100w == 20a (v/w=a)

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve given thought about wiring a usb dock all the way around the dashboard. I.e., three foot wire along the right side inner glass of the windshield, down by the door, tucked in the foot rest wall below the glovebox all the way to the lower dash ports. I think would secure with some sort of stick-on wire holders. Tedious, I know but it could work.

Sponsored

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When you go beyond 15watts you're into USB power delivery standards. The cable is maxed at 5A and the voltage is adjusted. See the table about halfway down this page.
https://www.cui.com/blog/usb-type-c-pd-and-pps#usb-power-delivery
yup.. as I was saying... ;)
Ford Bronco Dashboard USB Ports on Non-Lux Bronco 1633391976030

I have a few cables 'capable'' to use for charging a laptop.. But in those cases, I believe the USB-C voltage changes to 20V so that would just be 5a of power... but regardless, it's still more power over the USB-C than available in USB-A devices.. so long as your not using some cheapo cables, and are using quality ones, it should be able to handle the power delivery. That is assuming of course the built-in usb-c ports made that amount... otherwise it's all just theory..

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

*bump* Has anyone done this mod yet? Anyone attempting to do it with OEM parts? I'd be super curious to see that project, as I don't trust my ability to drill and wire and rig and have it still look good.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

now we know what the "high instrument dash panel" is

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Do we know what the USB-C port in the Bronco dash is rated at from a voltage and amp perspective? Maybe I missed this but I did not see it on this thread.

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I remember seeing a post that someone drilled the dash and installed a usb adapter. If I dig for it and find it, I will post a link.
Sponsored