Sponsored

dead batteries from idle newer cars (bronco)?

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So i have a very old CRV (1997) and every time i turn the key the battery runs flawlessly even if i have left the car alone (at times months).

So my question is this. With all the new tech in these cars , is the battery going to be constantly draining when not in use? My father has a newer range rover and if we leave it to sit for more than a few days the car dies. For example a vacation at the airport parkinglot.

I see the bronco has stuff like keypads which i assume will be "always on" and thus be draining small amounts of power.

Does anybody with newer ford vehicles have an issue with leaving a car unattended for long periods of time and battery dying? will this be an issue on the bronco? or is my car just so old that all cars now die because of the tech?
Every vehicle in the last 15 years has some vampire draws....
Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So i have a very old CRV (1997) and every time i turn the key the battery runs flawlessly even if i have left the car alone (at times months).

So my question is this. With all the new tech in these cars , is the battery going to be constantly draining when not in use? My father has a newer range rover and if we leave it to sit for more than a few days the car dies. For example a vacation at the airport parkinglot.

I see the bronco has stuff like keypads which i assume will be "always on" and thus be draining small amounts of power.

Does anybody with newer ford vehicles have an issue with leaving a car unattended for long periods of time and battery dying? will this be an issue on the bronco? or is my car just so old that all cars now die because of the tech?
First off you’re talking about a range rover which are notorious for having electrical problems, and battery charging problems. Second you’re talking about a old CRV with the well loosened up very tiny motor, that you could literally crank over using a motorcycle battery. The new bronco will be fine.

JMV123

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F350/2015 Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One thing that can be a problem is leaving the key FOB inside the vehicle. My Subaru drained the battery with leaving the key FOB on the console. Would be similar with Ford. If you leave it inside the vehicle for extended periods they can draw down the battery both in the rig and the key FOB over extended periods. Learned this lesson the hard way.

Sponsored

Deleted member 11056

Many new cars have systems that "wake up" every few minutes and scan for updates, unlock codes, etc which can run a battery down after about 4 weeks of sitting (OnStar). This happens with some of the tech heavy GM cars but I'm not sure if Ford's do this as well . . . probably depends on the equipment level.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The short answer is yes. The long answer is that there is parasitic draw on the battery. My 2018 Raptor connects to my home wifi for periodic updates. Ford has a built in safety. As the battery draws down it will go into "deep sleep" which cuts most of the draw. It is still probable that given enough time it will kill the battery beyond it's ability to start the vehicle.
Correct! My F-150 goes to a "deep sleep" after a week or so. it disables GPS, remote starting and such. It is a battery saver. It tells you it is in a deep sleep in Ford Pass. Here is a screenshot of what it says.
Ford Bronco dead batteries from idle newer cars (bronco)? Capture.JPG
Sponsored