Sponsored

dead batteries from idle newer cars (bronco)?

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So i have a very old CRV (1997) and every time i turn the key the battery runs flawlessly even if i have left the car alone (at times months).

So my question is this. With all the new tech in these cars , is the battery going to be constantly draining when not in use? My father has a newer range rover and if we leave it to sit for more than a few days the car dies. For example a vacation at the airport parkinglot.

I see the bronco has stuff like keypads which i assume will be "always on" and thus be draining small amounts of power.

Does anybody with newer ford vehicles have an issue with leaving a car unattended for long periods of time and battery dying? will this be an issue on the bronco? or is my car just so old that all cars now die because of the tech?
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
LOL!

You guys worry WAY TOO MUCH!

my 2013 Raptor is till on its original battery .. and yes sometimes it sits for weeks
same with my 2019 Raptor .. no issues and due to covid .. it will sit for weeks

Stop worrying about poo you can't control.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Batteries will always have a problem when left for long periods. Certain battery construction/materials fare better than others.

Some vehicles are putting out high amperage alternators (sometimes 400 amps!) which will ensure the car is able to start off a very low battery and, hopefully, charge it fairly quickly.

A reliable trickle charger over 3 amps is not a bad thing to own.

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Unless your dealer installs some tracking hardware because you have terrible credit, modern cars shouldn't have parasitic drain if left alone for a month or two.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Not Ford related but I can tell you that I went to test drive a 2021 Jeep Rubicon a few weeks back and the battery was dead. Sales guys says it happens all the time.
Maybe it's all the tech these days drawing power when it's off?? Not sure.

Sponsored
OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not Ford related but I can tell you that I went to test drive a 2021 Jeep Rubicon a few weeks back and the battery was dead. Sales guys says it happens all the time.
Maybe it's all the tech these days drawing power when it's off?? Not sure.
thats why i made the thread

Most people drive their cars daily so i would think manufacturers would overlook long term battery charge over tech features.

Im just wondering if people have newer cars that can survive sitting in the driveway for 2 weeks

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It all depends on a lot of variables.....Battery quality, vehicle, aftermarket add ons, weather. I just sold my 2013 Jeep JKU and went through 3 batteries. Florida is hard on some batteries.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

thats why i made the thread

Most people drive their cars daily so i would think manufacturers would overlook long term battery charge over tech features.

Im just wondering if people have newer cars that can survive sitting in the driveway for 2 weeks
2016 4Runner and 2005 Tacoma sat for over 4 months while I was in Alaska. Both started right up upon return. OEM batteries on both.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes... the Bronco comes with an Alarm.. so there is something "actively" using your battery.. so eventually it will go dead.

If you are super concerned, there are batteries out there (Like Optima Yellow) that are designed for deep cycling.

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Actually I've just recently been running into this with my 2018 Mustang, but I work in town and only drive it maybe 10-15 miles a day. Had the battery and alternator tested and both checked out ok. It will still start but it's a slow start and all of my settings will be reset.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There are onboard computers in modern vehicles. And they do draw a very slight amount of power when the vehicle is off to maintain settings etc.

Unless you aren't getting the battery to full charge when you're driving (very short trips over and over), it will take months and months to fully drain the battery.

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No battery should drain in a matter of days. Sounds like something is being left plugged in like a phone charger or maybe there’s an electrical ground somewhere.
No offense to your dad, but it is a Land Rover. ?

fastone

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak, 2013 F-150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a 2019 Escape Titanium with all the tech stuff. I haven't had any issues with the battery discharging. But with Ford Pass I actually received an email saying you haven't started your vehicle for 14 days (may be different period but close). Please start when possible.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The short answer is yes. The long answer is that there is parasitic draw on the battery. My 2018 Raptor connects to my home wifi for periodic updates. Ford has a built in safety. As the battery draws down it will go into "deep sleep" which cuts most of the draw. It is still probable that given enough time it will kill the battery beyond it's ability to start the vehicle.
Sponsored