First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 85 Bronco, 80 Bronco, 99F250LD,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So like the title says. It got to minus 40 last night, I forgot to plug both daily drivers in. My 12 Dodge Avenger tried to start, no fire, but the battery in my 21 Outer Banks was stone dead. Plugged them both in for a couple hours and the Avenger started on a short boost. The Bronco sucked my booster pack dry trying to get all the systems up before it would even attempt to fire the fuel pump or even turn over. And all the while screaming at me that the brake system wasn't working, the collision avoidance wasn't working etc.etc. Anyone else run across this yet? 70k for the thing and it comes with a battery that can't handle one day of not running in the cold without going flat? Horse crap
Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could be a bad battery. My GTO needed it replaced shortly after I picked it up brand new. I stalled it, battery was dead and it was very hard to start again with a jump. Then it was dead again in the morning. The battery had bad cells I think they said.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sounds like the battery is toast.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Some other thread mentioned that the Bronco does not like low batteries and will refuse to start unless the battery is up to a Min level. Not sure what that level is.

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP

5.0FordGuy

Outer Banks
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, had it in to the dealer to get a few things checked out, and the battery was load tested as well. Damn thing hasn't skipped a beat since, other than now my wiper blades are junk from ice build up. And I can't seem to find replacements.

jrobVT

Base
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery 5 - Range Rover P38
Your Bronco Model
Base
So like the title says. It got to minus 40 last night, I forgot to plug both daily drivers in. My 12 Dodge Avenger tried to start, no fire, but the battery in my 21 Outer Banks was stone dead. Plugged them both in for a couple hours and the Avenger started on a short boost. The Bronco sucked my booster pack dry trying to get all the systems up before it would even attempt to fire the fuel pump or even turn over. And all the while screaming at me that the brake system wasn't working, the collision avoidance wasn't working etc.etc. Anyone else run across this yet? 70k for the thing and it comes with a battery that can't handle one day of not running in the cold without going flat? Horse crap
What was the ultimate outcome of this. Happened to me today. What seemed like a dead battery but all sorts brake issues. Not a mechanic but owned an older (but not old enough) Range Rover with the worst electronic gremlins -one thing I can do is jump a dead a$s battery … 365 miles and it was on a flatbed to the dealer

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The question should be how long did these things sit before shipping delivery? Also my 2019 f150xl could sit for a month plus and start. My 2021 f150 starts giving me deep sleep warnings at 3 weeks. The obvious issue is the amount of systems that stay away after you turn it off.

OP
OP

5.0FordGuy

Outer Banks
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, after having the battery load tested and an issue with the driver window not functioning correctly fixed, the damn thing hasn't skipped a beat since. All I know is, when it goes in for its first service, I am having them install a new battery.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Seriously, you expect Ford to reinvent battery chemistry to allow batteries to work at -40?

Let's review battery physics:
At what temperature do car batteries fail?
Cold weather slows everything down, especially the chemical reaction happening inside your car battery. In fact, at 32°F, a car's battery loses about 35% of its strength. And at 0°F, it loses up to 60% of its strength—but your engine requires nearly twice as much power to start!
https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/blog/batteries/drain-car-batteries-in-winter/

Sponsored

jrobVT

Base
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery 5 - Range Rover P38
Your Bronco Model
Base
What was the ultimate outcome of this. Happened to me today. What seemed like a dead battery but all sorts brake issues. Not a mechanic but owned an older (but not old enough) Range Rover with the worst electronic gremlins -one thing I can do is jump a dead a$s battery … 365 miles and it was on a flatbed to the dealer
Update: bad cell on my battery. Nothing like a car with 365 miles at a dealer 4 hrs away
Sponsored