Sponsored

Dealer Add-Ons, are they legal in California?

OP
OP
frd415

frd415

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you sign a sales agreement when you placed you order?
I did not. After I was advised by my original salesman that they would accept z-plan, I didn't even think of that. I have been buying Fords for 25 years either using a or z plans and never had an issue. Everything was done online. I built the vehicle and emailed it to the salesman. He emailed me back a printout of the order showing the MSRP price. There were no markups or add-ons written on the paper. I am not sure if they mentioned the add-ons to get my reaction to see if they could get a little more money from me.
Sponsored

bajabronco57

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think it's important to understand that they aren't sneaking these fee's in on the contract without telling you. The dealership owns the vehicle and has no legal obligation to sell it to you. They can add on ADM, they can require you to finance through them, they can tack on all sorts of fees. As long as you are made aware when you purchase the vehicle then it's all legal. Ethical is another matter.

Also, honestly even if you sign a sales agreement good luck getting that to hold up in court. Unless the agreement was written by a lawyer and notarized it really isn't much more than a good faith letter. A signed sales agreement will at the very least sometimes get Ford to put pressure on the dealership but at the end of the day good luck.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

After all of the publicity on this issue, there's no reason for people not to have a signed sales agreement moving forward.
I agree.
I did not. After I was advised by my original salesman that they would accept z-plan, I didn't even think of that. I have been buying Fords for 25 years either using a or z plans and never had an issue. Everything was done online. I built the vehicle and emailed it to the salesman. He emailed me back a printout of the order showing the MSRP price. There were no markups or add-ons written on the paper. I am not sure if they mentioned the add-ons to get my reaction to see if they could get a little more money from me.
That piece of paper is worthless when it comes to the sales price. It just shows you your order and what the MSRP is, not the sale price that you and the dealership have negotiated.

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It was made known very early on(10/2020 or about) that ford would not honor any plan pricing. At that time several dealers said they would honor X plan(meaning they would sell it for less not ford) If they did or not I don’t know.

Once you received your msrp price document your dealer knew invoice pricing. It is possible they don’t receive actual plan pricing until a vin is created.

OP
OP
frd415

frd415

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was made known very early on(10/2020 or about) that ford would not honor any plan pricing. At that time several dealers said they would honor X plan(meaning they would sell it for less not ford) If they did or not I don’t know.

Once you received your msrp price document your dealer knew invoice pricing. It is possible they don’t receive actual plan pricing until a vin is created.
Ford has always honored A,Z,D plans. In not sure we're you saw in 2020 that they were not. Each dealer is a able to chose whether to honor them or not.

This is from the Bronco FAQ site:
Will the 2022 MY Bronco two- and four-door offer AXZD Plan pricing?
Bronco will offer AZD (A = Employee, Z = Ford Retiree, D = Dealer) Plan pricing for all series excluding Bronco Raptor. X-Plan (X = Friends & Family) will NOT be offered on any Bronco two- or four-door models for the 2022 MY.

Sponsored

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford has always honored A,Z,D plans. In not sure we're you saw in 2020 that they were not. Each dealer is a able to chose whether to honor them or not.

This is from the Bronco FAQ site:
Will the 2022 MY Bronco two- and four-door offer AXZD Plan pricing?
Bronco will offer AZD (A = Employee, Z = Ford Retiree, D = Dealer) Plan pricing for all series excluding Bronco Raptor. X-Plan (X = Friends & Family) will NOT be offered on any Bronco two- or four-door models for the 2022 MY.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-xplan-pricing-discount/

https://thebronconation.com/no-x-plan-for-bronco-2021-but/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2021-bronco-a-z-plan-pricing-per-trim.12033/

https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/ford-announces-2021-bronco-wont-be-available-with-x-plan-pricing/

As I said Ford made an announcement on plan pricing in 2020. If they changed their mind on 22 models I’m not sure. It sounds as though x plan is still a no. Which tells me you won’t find a dealer to take any other plan unless your an awesome 30 year customer who has purchased hundreds of vehicles from them or maybe old owner of said dealer….

Last edited:

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And from what I have read, you cannot, as I understand it, go out of state to buy from a reasonable dealer (maybe from one or two states - but you cannot unless I am mistaken fly here to PA, buy a rig and drive it back to CA and be able to register it
Yes…..you can buy a new car out of state. It needs to be 50 State Emissions Compliant, not Federal Emissions Compliant, which most cars now meet. You will not pay sales tax to the selling dealer, but will pay sales tax to the Calif DMV along with Calif Registration fees. You may also be required to run the vehicle thru a Calif Smog Check Station as well

Last edited:

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-xplan-pricing-discount/

https://thebronconation.com/no-x-plan-for-bronco-2021-but/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2021-bronco-a-z-plan-pricing-per-trim.12033/

https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/ford-announces-2021-bronco-wont-be-available-with-x-plan-pricing/

As I said Ford made an announcement on plan pricing in 2020. If they changed their mind on 22 models I’m not sure. It sounds as though x plan is still a no. Which tells me you won’t find a dealer to take any other plan unless your an awesome 30 year customer who has purchased hundreds of vehicles from them or maybe old owner of said dealer….
Ford only excluded Bronco from “X-plan”
A/Z/D is allowed and can be found on the plan portal.

Reactions: abe

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do not have the z-plan agreement in writing. The saleman told me they would accept it. I was then told a few weeks ago that they would not. I have a few emails between myself and the saleman where I asked for the z-plan price and he told me it would not be available until the invoice arrived. The dealer doesn't care about the emails.
I would still give a call into Ford and explain the situation. There are protocols in place for A/Z/D/X plan purchases.
when no a dealer sells through the program, they don’t loose money on the deal. Typically there are incentives that they get back in return and in this case they can potentially get an extra allocation for The process.

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford only excluded Bronco from “X-plan”
A/Z/D is allowed and can be found on the plan portal.
What dealer will accept AZD plans?

Sponsored

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hearing from people on this forum, many dealers will. Just need to ask up front when ordering

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hearing from people on this forum, many dealers will. Just need to ask up front when ordering
Interesting. I have not heard one post or thread about plan price acceptance. Do you have a link?

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Almost all of them. A dealer can participate in the plans or not, but they don't get to pick-and-choose. Either they accept the plans or not.

I have over a dozen Ford dealers in town, not accepting AZD plan would just mean loosing a sale to another dealership.

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Almost all of them. A dealer can participate in the plans or not, but they don't get to pick-and-choose. Either they accept the plans or not.

I have over a dozen Ford dealers in town, not accepting AZD plan would just mean loosing a sale to another dealership.
Link to a buyer purchasing his Bronco on AZD plan please.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealers do things like window etching because it's dirt cheap and easy for them to do... and it's permanent... once it's done, it's done. The only negotiation is whether the buyer will pay for it since they can't take it off.

If a buyer doesn't "consent" to paying for it, then the remedy is simply that the buyer doesn't buy the vehicle...

A "decent" dealer will put up some fight but then discount the price of the add-on to save a sale... but a slimy dealer will just say "take it or leave it" and if you still refuse to pay it, they'll just find someone else to buy the vehicle.
Sponsored