Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is crazy. I have to do an oil change this week…so is the consensus that 1.5 quarts remains, and I should only add 6 quarts after draining?
Asking for a consensus view about this issue is like asking what color dress do you see in the infamous viral phenomenon back in 2015 (aka “the dress”). Is it black & blue or a white & gold? 😄

Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L 3692B16E-3B8E-485A-A31C-E23EE70E26A0
Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is crazy. I have to do an oil change this week…so is the consensus that 1.5 quarts remains, and I should only add 6 quarts after draining?
Look at this for what it is. They add 7.5 quarts, we drain out 7. They say 6 is fine because they don't want to send out new dipsticks. 1.5qts is not remaining in the engine. Add 6 or 7 if you want, according to them it doesn't matter.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Look at this for what it is. They add 7.5 quarts, we drain out 7. They say 6 is fine because they don't want to send out new dipsticks. 1.5qts is not remaining in the engine. Add 6 or 7 if you want, according to them it doesn't matter.
That doesn't explain why they keep doing it.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have a possible Bronco Dip Stick theory. I noticed the difference between the low and full markings on the stick that came with the Bronco was very short, indicating not much leeway between low and full. Here is a picture, 7 qt Bronco MB3Z-6750-B stick on top, F150 2.7l 6 qt middle, and the stick that came with the Bronco from factory on bottom. See the factory Bronco has a very short gap between low and full comparatively? I don't know what the low Mark's indicate, I did not investigate. Maybe the Bronco has less room for error at 6 qts because of it's capabilities. At some point maybe an engineer changed it from the 7qts they originally wanted to 6 but due to work at home covid the oil spec guy didn't get the message. Just a few thoughts.

20220802_110040.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That doesn't explain why they keep doing it.
If you have even a recent build 2022 Bronco with a 2.7, your H dipstick is more than likely the original one...but even so is it still 19 inches from the base of the stick handle to the full line (the EXACT same measurement as the NEW H stick) The ONLY difference in them is that the twist is higher up on the NEW dipstick, which is a moot point overall because if you add 6 quarts after an oil change your oil won't be anywhere near the twist on EITHER stick. All any of us should care about is how much oil should be added during an oil change...not the claimed factory fill (because nless we are working on the engine build line, we aren't doing a factory fill). Ford is probably just keeping the 7.5 factory fill in literature so as not to look like they entirely fabricated the mythical 7 quart Bronco capacity.

If you have an H stick, the 6 quarts that Ford now clarified in the SSM (the most recent one, anyway), should reach somewhere right around the the line in the hash mark range. Obviously you are free to add 6.5 or 7 or 10 or whatever you believe to be correct, but we have learned that 6 (just like the F150 with the same 2.7) is the correct amount. With the potential for our engines to scatter due to valve keepers or valves or whatever, and my desire to not have a warranty denied if that occurs, I will go with 6 just in case (regardless if I think 6.5 or 7 is acceptable or desirable or ok or whatever). Just my 2 cents.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a possible Bronco Dip Stick theory. I noticed the difference between the low and full markings on the stick that came with the Bronco was very short, indicating not much leeway between low and full. Here is a picture, 7 qt Bronco MB3ZE-6750-B stick on top, F150 2.7l 6 qt middle, and the stick that came with the Bronco from factory on bottom. See the factory Bronco has a very short gap between low and full comparatively? I don't know what the low Mark's indicate, I did not investigate. Maybe the Bronco has less room for error at 6 qts because of it's capabilities. At some point maybe an engineer changed it from the 7qts they originally wanted to 6 but due to work at home covid the oil spec guy didn't get the message. Just a few thoughts.

Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L 20220802_110040
The question is why do they still factory fill to 7.5.... if it is only suppose to have 6qts on the oil change... I still think it is to be 7qts.... they are just saving a recall on the sticks...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a possible Bronco Dip Stick theory. I noticed the difference between the low and full markings on the stick that came with the Bronco was very short, indicating not much leeway between low and full. Here is a picture, 7 qt Bronco MB3ZE-6750-B stick on top, F150 2.7l 6 qt middle, and the stick that came with the Bronco from factory on bottom. See the factory Bronco has a very short gap between low and full comparatively? I don't know what the low Mark's indicate, I did not investigate. Maybe the Bronco has less room for error at 6 qts because of it's capabilities. At some point maybe an engineer changed it from the 7qts they originally wanted to 6 but due to work at home covid the oil spec guy didn't get the message. Just a few thoughts.

20220802_110040.jpg
I think we can't really get practical results comparing sticks because one was designed for an Explorer/Navigator application, the other for a Raptor (with a different engine), etc. (and the oil capacity itself was wrong). I imagine that Ford possibly came up with the newest C stick as perhaps a way to clear the air, so to speak, and have ONE stick (as now listed in the catalog) as THE stick for all 2.7 Broncos. Ford probably isn't going to recall the old H sticks because there is really no need to because the level indicators match the new stick (so Ford can avoid further scrutiny/save some money). It is also entirely possible that even if the pans are intended to hold 7 quarts that Ford found it easier to pretend they didn't create a crap ton of confusion and that all along the first dipstick was "correct" (with 6 quarts, not 7). If you have ever torn apart a 2.7 from both Bronco and a F150 you'd find that it is highly unlikely that 1.5 quarts hides in the block or turbo lines during an oil change. I imagine that the factory was factory was filling with 7.5, that they are now changing that to 6.5, and that Ford will phase out including "factory fill" in consumer literature (because no consumer needs to know that capacity...it just creates confusion).

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think we can't really get practical results comparing sticks because one was designed for an Explorer/Navigator application, the other for a Raptor (with a different engine), etc. (and the oil capacity itself was wrong). I imagine that Ford possibly came up with the newest C stick as perhaps a way to clear the air, so to speak, and have ONE stick (as now listed in the catalog) as THE stick for all 2.7 Broncos. Ford probably isn't going to recall the old H sticks because there is really no need to because the level indicators match the new stick (so Ford can avoid further scrutiny/save some money). It is also entirely possible that even if the pans are intended to hold 7 quarts that Ford found it easier to pretend they didn't create a crap ton of confusion and that all along the first dipstick was "correct" (with 6 quarts, not 7). If you have ever torn apart a 2.7 from both Bronco and a F150 you'd find that it is highly unlikely that 1.5 quarts hides in the block or turbo lines during an oil change. I imagine that the factory was factory was filling with 7.5, that they are now changing that to 6.5, and that Ford will phase out including "factory fill" in consumer literature (because no consumer needs to know that capacity...it just creates confusion).
I was just trying to point out the small gap on the stick between low and full. It seems considerably smaller than any other car I have ever owned. Maybe the pan/block just has a large surface area and a quart of oil doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the reading.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm using 7. Just finished my 2nd oil change. After the first, I marked my stick at where the oil level was(with 7). That's my full mark. Easy and I've not missed a minutes of sleep nor wasted time worrying about it nor have I even pulled my dipstick again......it's not leaking or smoking so the oil is fine.
I wish the pan held 8 or nine quarts. A smidge better cooling and a smidge longer to contaminate.
;)

Sponsored

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know mine dropped out around 7 qts I'll check again today what the dipstick shows

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Been doing a little research.... the Bronco Raptor is the same engine as the 2.7.... the only difference is the stroke on the engine... it is a plug and play to fit the current Bronco....and I assume the same oil pan.... now the manual says oil is 7.5qt with filter change for the Raptor which makes sense that the Raptor dip stick shows a little low on the 2.7 with 7qts.... so if the Raptor can run 7 or 7.5... so can the 2.7....

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Been doing a little research.... the Bronco Raptor is the same engine as the 2.7.... the only difference is the stroke on the engine... it is a plug and play to fit the current Bronco....and I assume the same oil pan.... now the manual says oil is 7.5qt with filter change for the Raptor which makes sense that the Raptor dip stick shows a little low on the 2.7 with 7qts.... so if the Raptor can run 7 or 7.5... so can the 2.7....
If someone can verify the oil pans and dip stick tube are the exact same then you would have a valid point. They use the same block but I think the difference between the 2.7 and 3.0 are a little more than the stroke.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Basically @flip opened some warranty claims for new dipsticks and caused Ford to revise the owners/shop manuals.
Sponsored