First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They're the ones who told us to use 7 initially and also put in 7.5 at the factory. My oil pan didn't change, so why did their stated capacity change?

I'm not saying 6qts is wrong, but they didn't give any reason why for the change. No one has said they've had problems with 7 quarts minus the dipstick being incorrect.
Simple... no recall on the wrong dip stick
Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My wife's Expedition has 2 recalls right now. 1st one 4/14/2022..wiper arm replacement....it can perform erratically or separate from vehicle..... no fix to this date.... 2nd recall is underhood fire....5/17/2022.... their fix for now is park your vehicle outside and away from structures... they are working on the problem...... so you see... a recall on a dip stick is not a big deal... just put less oil in....

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Engineers to Bronco owners: Put 6 quarts of oil in your car, not 7.

Knucklehead Bronco owners : No, 7 quarts is better.
They're the ones who told us to use 7 initially and also put in 7.5 at the factory. My oil pan didn't change, so why did their stated capacity change?

I'm not saying 6qts is wrong, but they didn't give any reason why for the change. No one has said they've had problems with 7 quarts minus the dipstick being incorrect.
Ford to Bronco owners: We put 7.5 quarts in during factory dry fills. You should put 7 quarts in during service changes. 📖✅

Knucklehead Bronco owners: Hey, why is the oil level on the dipstick too high with 7 quarts? 🤔

Ford: [Introduces multiple dipstick revisions with no explanation.] 🧙‍♂️🎩🐇

Knucklehead Bronco owners: WTF?!? 🤯🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️

Ford Engineers to Bronco owners: Uhh, use 6 quarts during service changes, not 7. [Silently deletes 7.5 quart service fill from all documents.] 😵💁‍♂️😬

Knucklehead Bronco owners : Fucking Rockstars! 🤨 I’m gonna stick with 7 quarts until I get a better explanation. :cautious:

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Cause they fucked up!

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Engineers to Bronco owners: Put 6 quarts of oil in your car, not 7.

Knucklehead Bronco owners : No, 7 quarts is better.
I've seen zero evidence any engineers were involved in the decision to change the number.

Definitely seems more likely bean counters determined that changing some electronic documents was cheaper than replacing dipsticks and acknowledging that oil changes already done might not have been to the right spec. Hopefully engineers were at least consulted to confirm only running 6 quarts wouldn't cause a problem.

Sponsored

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've seen zero evidence any engineers were involved in the decision to change the number.

Definitely seems more likely bean counters determined that changing some electronic documents was cheaper than replacing dipsticks and acknowledging that oil changes already done might not have been to the right spec. Hopefully engineers were at least consulted to confirm only running 6 quarts wouldn't cause a problem.
That's been mentioned. I highly doubt this was done without an engineer signing off on it.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's been mentioned. I highly doubt this was done without an engineer signing off on it.
Engineer..... I can't sign off on this... the 2.7 needs to run 7qt.
Ford... either sigh or lose your job...
Engineer.... where do I sign...

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ford... either sigh or lose your job...
Or

Ford... either sigh or 40,000 dip sticks are coming out of your pay...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And the only difference in the 2.7 and 3.0 is bore and stroke..... both engines built in Lima plant
1659620399294.png
And the only difference in the 2.7 and 3.0 is bore and stroke..... both engines built in Lima plant
1659620399294.png
False...lots more differences:

How Ford Upgraded a Family SUV Engine for Bronco Raptor Duty
Here’s how Ford Performance is squeezing F-150 Raptor performance out of the Ranger-based Bronco.
Frank MarkusWriter
Jan 24, 2022
Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L 2022-Ford-Bronco-Raptor_details_02

We've all known a Ford Bronco Raptor was coming, but nobody in the public Broncosphere has known for sure how Ford Performance planned to endow the Bronco with F-150 Raptor-worthy performance—would it do so using an EcoBoost V-6 (and if so, which one?) or a Coyote V-8? Well, now we know: The Ford Performance gang has worked its magic on the 3.0-liter EcoBoost twin-turbo V-6 from the Explorer ST, modifying it extensively to suit the Bronco Raptor's mission, which is to "reward the revs." (For more on the V-6/V-8 decision, head here.)
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

That means the engine should produce meaningful power all the way out to the far reaches of the tachometer while the standard 10-speed automatic transmission's gearing ensures that power is easy to explore the top of the tach. Here's what it took to turn a family SUV motor into a desert stormer for a hardcore 4x4, plus the modifications needed to get that power safely routed to the ground.
Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L 1280

What's Under The Bronco Raptor's Hood?
You'll recall that the 3.0-liter EcoBoost is basically a bored and stroked EcoBoost Nano family sibling of the compacted-graphite-iron-block 2.7-liter powering other Broncos, so it bolts in with relative ease. Relative to the Explorer application, this Bronco Raptor 3.0 features unique cylinder heads that eliminate the exhaust-gas recirculation and emphasize maximum air flow into and out of the engine.
A giant high-flow intake airbox and filter drop air straight down into the turbos on each side, helping to reduce the overall restriction on the low-pressure side by 50 percent. The turbos themselves are new for the Raptor, and the plumbing to, from, and through the intercooler is improved to lower restriction. The combustion chambers flow more air, then aft of the turbos there is a full true dual exhaust system with 2.7-inch pipes and a new-to-Bronco four-position active-valve (Quiet, Normal, Sport, and Baja) that reportedly helps deliver a total drop in backpressure of 20 percent.
The combined effect of all these mods is greater "boost durability," which means the boost sustains to enhance high-end power and prevents that feeling of power falling off a cliff as you near the engine redline. The new Baja drive mode also activates an anti-lag turbo calibration that further maximizes performance during high-speed desert running.
(...and the chart above is comparing a 2.3 and a 2.7, not 2.7 and a 3.0)

Different turbos/plumbing/heads/exhaust/intake/etc. Not even sure how that is relevant because we have been told already that the 2.7 holds 6 (by the company that builds it/warranties it). If someone is questioning the oil capacity in the 3.0, that should be in a separate thread.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
False...lots more differences:

How Ford Upgraded a Family SUV Engine for Bronco Raptor Duty
Here’s how Ford Performance is squeezing F-150 Raptor performance out of the Ranger-based Bronco.
Frank MarkusWriter
Jan 24, 2022
Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L 1659620399294

We've all known a Ford Bronco Raptor was coming, but nobody in the public Broncosphere has known for sure how Ford Performance planned to endow the Bronco with F-150 Raptor-worthy performance—would it do so using an EcoBoost V-6 (and if so, which one?) or a Coyote V-8? Well, now we know: The Ford Performance gang has worked its magic on the 3.0-liter EcoBoost twin-turbo V-6 from the Explorer ST, modifying it extensively to suit the Bronco Raptor's mission, which is to "reward the revs." (For more on the V-6/V-8 decision, head here.)

That means the engine should produce meaningful power all the way out to the far reaches of the tachometer while the standard 10-speed automatic transmission's gearing ensures that power is easy to explore the top of the tach. Here's what it took to turn a family SUV motor into a desert stormer for a hardcore 4x4, plus the modifications needed to get that power safely routed to the ground.
Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L 1659620399294

What's Under The Bronco Raptor's Hood?
You'll recall that the 3.0-liter EcoBoost is basically a bored and stroked EcoBoost Nano family sibling of the compacted-graphite-iron-block 2.7-liter powering other Broncos, so it bolts in with relative ease. Relative to the Explorer application, this Bronco Raptor 3.0 features unique cylinder heads that eliminate the exhaust-gas recirculation and emphasize maximum air flow into and out of the engine.
A giant high-flow intake airbox and filter drop air straight down into the turbos on each side, helping to reduce the overall restriction on the low-pressure side by 50 percent. The turbos themselves are new for the Raptor, and the plumbing to, from, and through the intercooler is improved to lower restriction. The combustion chambers flow more air, then aft of the turbos there is a full true dual exhaust system with 2.7-inch pipes and a new-to-Bronco four-position active-valve (Quiet, Normal, Sport, and Baja) that reportedly helps deliver a total drop in backpressure of 20 percent.
The combined effect of all these mods is greater "boost durability," which means the boost sustains to enhance high-end power and prevents that feeling of power falling off a cliff as you near the engine redline. The new Baja drive mode also activates an anti-lag turbo calibration that further maximizes performance during high-speed desert running.

(...and the chart above is comparing a 2.3 and a 2.7, not 2.7 and a 3.0)

Different turbos/plumbing/heads/exhaust/intake/etc. Not even sure how that is relevant because we have been told already that the 2.7 holds 6 (by the company that builds it/warranties it). If someone is questioning the oil capacity in the 3.0, that should be in a separate thread.
Same block… same oil pan

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Same block… same oil pan
The 3.0 has bigger turbos (which hold more oil) different plumbing to those turbos (which more than likely holds more oil as well). Same block/pan does not mean same oil capacity (hence the different stick for the Raptor). Now, given that Ford screwed up the 2.7 capacity information, I wouldn't be surprised if down the road they "adjust" the Raptor capacity as well. Until then, because I don't have a Raptor, I will focus on how much oil my 2.7 is supposed to hold. I imagine if someone has an issue down the road that involves how much oil they choose to run in his or her
2.7, and if Ford questions it, that person could try the "but the Raptor uses the same block and pan so I chose to follow the Raptor owner's manual" line of reasoning, but I would wager Ford won't consider that a valid reason to ignore the manual/SSM/etc. that applies to the 2.7. YMMV.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 3.0 has bigger turbos (which hold more oil) different plumbing to those turbos (which more than likely holds more oil as well). Same block/pan does not mean same oil capacity (hence the different stick for the Raptor). Now, given that Ford screwed up the 2.7 capacity information, I wouldn't be surprised if down the road they "adjust" the Raptor capacity as well. Until then, because I don't have a Raptor, I will focus on how much oil my 2.7 is supposed to hold. I imagine if someone has an issue down the road that involves how much oil they choose to run in his or her
2.7, and if Ford questions it, that person could try the "but the Raptor uses the same block and pan so I chose to follow the Raptor owner's manual" line of reasoning, but I would wager Ford won't consider that a valid reason to ignore the manual/SSM/etc. that applies to the 2.7. YMMV.
Can they ignore that the 2.7 ran thousands and thousands of miles with 7qt… don’t think so… a change in the manual does not ignore this FACT…

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just because the turbos are bigger doesn’t mean they hold any more oil. The center sections of the turbos are probably identical or very close in size at least, certainly not enough size difference to say they hold more oil. The only thing larger would be the turbine and compressor housings most likely. Also considering they sit in the same spot on the engine.. the plumbing to these turbos is probably close to identical also.

BigGarnet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I changed oil today. 7 quarts doesn’t even get it back to where the factory oil was on the dipstick.
Sponsored