Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a friend who has a PhD in Dipstickology. He was explaining that the first tool that we now call a dipstick came into existence during the stone age. Doek's cave was near a river. Doek realized that the river level would rise and fall. Having experienced a catastrophic cave flooding where he lost damn near a years worth of nuts and berries, Doek started measuring the river's level. Luckily there was a fairly straight stick on the river bank. Doek would jam the stick into the river and note the water level on the stick. Fast forward a few millennia and we still find ourselves jamming sticks into liquids to determine their depth. The dipstick has undergone many improvements. We needed an unchanging reference point. Ford invented the dipstick tube and a stop on the top of the stick. When the stick was fully inserted so its top rested on the tube top, one could make inferences about the depth of the liquid below. It's up to Ford to tell us Neanderthals how deep that puddle of oil needs to be.
Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The FT4Z-6750-F is for 7qt
As far as I know there is no FT4Z-6750-F. The Raptor stick was MB3Z-6750-F and it was briefly specified for the 2.7l but has been deleted and replaced with FT4Z-6750-C

All these numbers keep confusing me. It doesn't help that Ford had manufacturers numbers that are very similar to the part numbers, and the part you order is slightly different than the marking on the part. But I believe all references to the 7 qt stick have been deleted. The only reference left to 7 quarts is the pdf owners manual but that is in the process of being updated to 6 quarts.

Last edited:

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As far as I know there is no FT4Z-6750-F. The Raptor stick was MB3Z-6750-F and it was briefly specified for the 2.7l but has been deleted and replaced with FT4Z-6750-C

All these numbers keep confusing me. It doesn't help that Ford had manufacturers numbers that are very similar to the part numbers, and the part you order is slightly different than the marking on the part. But I believe all references to the 7 qt stick have been deleted. The only reference left to 7 quarts is the pdf owners manual but that is in the process of being updated to 6 quarts.
You are correct... went and edited my post... been a long day and too may numbers on my pad here... thanks for the correction...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not for 7 qt.... the FT4Z C the twist is higher... same length same markings... for 6qt as factory original...
Ford has now officially declared that the 2.7 Bronco capacity at oil change is 6 quarts. If anyone wants to add more, then scribing a line on any old stick you have after you add whatever amount you believe to be appropriate for your particular Bronco works. If you want a stick that you don't have to self-scribe for the appropriate 6 quarts per the latest SSM, then use your original H stick or this (also an H stick):

FT4Z-6750-C

BOTH are accurate at 6 quarts. If you want a stick you don't have to self-scribe for 7 quarts, yes use the Raptor stick (but not sure why anyone would want to do that...we have all been waiting for an answer from Ford, but now that we have one some folks want to keep believing in the 7-quart advertised version).

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm using 7. Just finished my 2nd oil change. After the first, I marked my stick at where the oil level was(with 7). That's my full mark. Easy and I've not missed a minutes of sleep nor wasted time worrying about it nor have I even pulled my dipstick again......it's not leaking or smoking so the oil is fine.
I wish the pan held 8 or nine quarts. A smidge better cooling and a smidge longer to contaminate.
;)
Hey … my dealer put in 8 quarts you should be ok 😂

Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford has now officially declared that the 2.7 Bronco capacity at oil change is 6 quarts. If anyone wants to add more, then scribing a line on any old stick you have after you add whatever amount you believe to be appropriate for your particular Bronco works. If you want a stick that you don't have to self-scribe for the appropriate 6 quarts per the latest SSM, then use your original H stick or this (also an H stick):

FT4Z-6750-C

BOTH are accurate at 6 quarts. If you want a stick you don't have to self-scribe for 7 quarts, yes use the Raptor stick (but not sure why anyone would want to do that...we have all been waiting for an answer from Ford, but now that we have one some folks want to keep believing in the 7-quart advertised version).
I for one will use 7qts... if the Raptor can use 7.5 and is the same engine as the 2.7 just bore and stroke different.... so be it.... I truly believe Ford did not want the expense of replacing the sticks and looking like a fool.... that they are... and I'm a die hard Ford fan...

Last edited:

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I for one will use 7qts... if the Raptor can use 7.5 and is the same engine as the 2.7 just stroked different.... so be it.... I truly believe Ford did not want the expense of replacing the sticks and looking like a fool.... that they are... and I'm a die hard Ford fan...
They look like a fool either way. Personally, I think they look most like a fool basically admitting they put too much oil in at the factory and continue to do it. Changing the dip stick would save the most face, though would be most costly. But seriously, how much do they pay for dip stick? I'm going with 6 because that's what Ford says to do. And if something happens to my engine I don't have to play dumb and act like I didn't know. I also like the fact that now I can change my oil and verify it was done correctly with a valid and accurate measurement.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I for one will use 7qts... if the Raptor can use 7.5 and is the same engine as the 2.7 just stroked different.... so be it.... I truly believe Ford did not want the expense of replacing the sticks and looking like a fool.... that they are... and I'm a die hard Ford fan...
The Raptor more than likely uses a different pan or has different plumbing for oil lines and probably different turbos. What matters the most is distance from the surface of the oil to reciprocating parts (on any engine unless it is a dry sump). Ford could make a pan that holds as much oil as they want...it just means a deeper or wider pan (like past the block). For warranty purposes I am staying in the 6 quarts basecamp. If Ford later changes their mind again and tells us we should be at 8 quarts, then I will join that camp...as long as I have records of the changes Ford made in case of a warranty claim it really doesn't matter to me how much oil is in the pan as long as it matches whatever Ford uses when reviewing claims.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They look like a fool either way. Personally, I think they look most like a fool basically admitting they put too much oil in at the factory and continue to do it. Changing the dip stick would save the most face, though would be most costly. But seriously, how much do they pay for dip stick? I'm going with 6 because that's what Ford says to do. And if something happens to my engine I don't have to play dumb and act like I didn't know. I also like the fact that now I can change my oil and verify it was done correctly with a valid and accurate measurement.
It’s not just the cost of the stick… paper work.. sending out recall notice… paying dealers to change them out… I know… not that hard but the have to pay them…they know 6qt won’t hurt..7 won’t hurt and 7.5 won’t hurt…they just hope this will all go away… and this is a start…make the 6qt people happy… make the 7qt people happy…. Done.. they wash their hands of it

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Raptor more than likely uses a different pan or has different plumbing for oil lines and probably different turbos. What matters the most is distance from the surface of the oil to reciprocating parts (on any engine unless it is a dry sump). Ford could make a pan that holds as much oil as they want...it just means a deeper or wider pan (like past the block). For warranty purposes I am staying in the 6 quarts basecamp. If Ford later changes their mind again and tells us we should be at 8 quarts, then I will join that camp...as long as I have records of the changes Ford made in case of a warranty claim it really doesn't matter to me how much oil is in the pan as long as it matches whatever Ford uses when reviewing claims.
Same pan… same lines… just different stroke… look it up… I did… block and pan the same …different stick…

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm using 7. Just finished my 2nd oil change. After the first, I marked my stick at where the oil level was(with 7). That's my full mark. Easy and I've not missed a minutes of sleep nor wasted time worrying about it nor have I even pulled my dipstick again......it's not leaking or smoking so the oil is fine.
I wish the pan held 8 or nine quarts. A smidge better cooling and a smidge longer to contaminate.
;)
The problem is that too much oil can not only make an engine run hotter but also reduce lubrication...seems counterintuitive but here is a breakdown:

https://oards.com/too-much-oil/

I too would like a bigger pan/more capacity or better yet a dry sump system...but using 7 if the system truly was engineered for 6 without a modified pan is not ideal. If an engine is overfilled enough to result in smoke or leaks there would already be damage done (like scored bearings/turbo shafts/piston skirts/valvetrain issues).

OP
OP
SavSqch

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m leaving the 7 they put in and next oil change at dealer I’ll take whatever they give me haha.

This is so ridiculous.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol! Amazing
The problem is that too much oil can not only make an engine run hotter but also reduce lubrication...seems counterintuitive but here is a breakdown:

https://oards.com/too-much-oil/

I too would like a bigger pan/more capacity or better yet a dry sump system...but using 7 if the system truly was engineered for 6 without a modified pan is not ideal. If an engine is overfilled enough to result in smoke or leaks there would already be damage done (like scored bearings/turbo shafts/piston skirts/valvetrain issues).
What makes you say that 7 quarts is too much? Ford says 7 is not too much……geez, the initial fill is still quoted by Ford as being 7.5.
Use 6 if 7 bothers you.
Done with this bs

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Same pan… same lines… just different stroke… look it up… I did… block and pan the same …different stick…
I believe it is a different stroke and bore...which wouldn't change oil capacity...but bigger turbos with increased diameters in cooling lines and all the other plumbing absolutely could account for more capacity on a Raptor (and it may even run a high capacity oil cooler). Even if it seems like 7 is the intuitive way to go Ford told all the dealerships/techs to go with 6 and I imagine there must be a reason. I also imagine if 7 were accurate Ford would rather eat the cost of some dipsticks than warranty engines that grenade prematurely due to too little oil now that most people will run 6. If I had access to a parts guide it would be interesting to compare just how many differences the 3.0 and 2.7 have pertaining to oil capacity...and I would wager there are several.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol! Amazing

What makes you say that 7 quarts is too much? Ford says 7 is not too much……geez, the initial fill is still quoted by Ford as being 7.5.
Use 6 if 7 bothers you.
Done with this bs
I am not a Ford engineer but Ford itself just recently pushed that SSM that said 6 is the proper amount (they don't usually do that unless they have a reason...and I believe the reason is they know they screwed up). There is no way they are going to clog the dealerships up and tell every current owner with 7 quarts to rush to the dealer to get a quart drained out, and for most people who mall crawl/daily drive 7 probably won't be an issue. As an engine builder, however, I can assure you that running far too much oil (especially during hard launches/extreme angles like while rock crawling) can lead to significant engine damage (ask any engine builder/mechanic/engineer...I don't expect to convince anyone of anything they don't want to be convinced of on my own). If you scroll through that link I posted it explains what happens if there is too much oil in many engines...it is not just my opinion. I don't trust Ford a whole lot at this point, but if they are jumping through all the hoops to change owner's manuals and service manuals and push an SSM and if dealers are going to go by that information I'm not sure why end users wouldn't heed the new information. I am sure many people will simply use 7 quarts...and I hope it all works out for them and all of us in the long run.
Sponsored