First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford owners manual specifies 7.5qt with oil filter for the 3.0. If you have the shop manual that shows 7.5qt is the initial fill I would like to see it.
Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L 1659555902134
Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L 1659555902134
Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2021-2022 Bronco 2.7L GTDI engine oil capacity specification with oil filter change has been updated to 6 quarts. The workshop manual has been updated with this information and electronic versions of the owner’s manual are in process of receiving the update. Following the previously recommended capacity is not necessary, but will not cause any harm to the engine. The initial fill capacity for a new/dry engine remains 7.5 quarts.
That is the (current) party line from Ford...but then they also need to change the warning in the owners manual that says:
Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L Screenshot_20220803-124028_Acrobat for Samsun

Anyone in this forum that chooses to stay with more than 6 quarts with the H (proper) stick, regardless of whatever the initial fill was, is choosing to ignore that. So which is it, Ford? Coin toss for "will not cause any harm to an engine" or "oil level above maximum mark may cause engine damage?" Sheeeeeesh...does it really take all that much energy to come up with a uniform answer?

And the "solution" is no longer to use the Raptor stick, because Ford has now updated just about everything (without actually telling the purchasers themselves anything) to indicate that the new C stick (and 6 quarts) is the proper stick. That means if dealers are continuing to add 7 quarts that they are in conflict with their own manuals (and are ignoring their own warnings).

And although the 2.7 and 3.0 have the same overall block dimensions, pretending that the 2.7 is the same as a Raptor 3.0 (even for oil capacity) is like saying a Chevrolet 283 is the same as Chevrolet 302. Far more changed between those engines than just bore and stroke...and much of the plumbing to and from the turbos in the Raptor engine (and the turbos themselves) are not even close to the 2.7. For months and months we have all been seeking a definitive answer from Ford as to exactly how much oil is the correct amount for the 2.7, and now that we have the most definitive answer so far (sans an actual explanation) many people are simply disregarding that answer (even though it matches all the other 2.7s) and are going to use their own capacities...dunno why that is. I hope every Bronco owner never has problems with their engines whether they choose to use 6 quarts or 16 (whatever makes them sleep better), but given the rapidly growing numbers of folks who have been denied warranty claims for even FOLLOWING directions I imagine Ford would love to deny claims for units owned by folks who have chosen to NOT follow them.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's the 2.7l. That's the 2.7l.

Can anyone with actual shop manual access post what the oil specs are for the 3.0l Bronco Raptor?
yes and the fill for the raptor is 7.5.... does it really matter what they put in at the factory.... if it is more... the only way to tell right now is to check the stick on a new 3.0 raptor...it would show above full mark

Sponsored

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Anyone not named cowman?

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yes and the fill for the raptor is 7.5.... does it really matter what they put in at the factory.... if it is more... the only way to tell right now is to check the stick on a new 3.0 raptor...it would show above full mark
The initial question, which has now hopefully been answered "officially" by Ford is the the (non-Raptor) Bronco 2.7 oil capacity is 6 quarts. Shouldn't matter what the factory fill was unless we are working on the line that adds that factory fill and we need to know then how much to put in it. Ford should ensure at PDI that the oil level is the full mark.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The owners manual does call out 7.5 as he stated. Tech specs say 7.

Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L bronc 3.0

For the Raptor, yes...not for the 2.7...but to my knowledge we have all been focused on the 2.7, yes? Not sure comparing the 3.0 and 2.7 capacities is going to provide any useful information for the 2.7 owners? The external plumbing and turbos and possibly many other things are different on the Raptor so the oil capacities are more than likely going to be different. The stick for the Raptor, which I bought weeks ago thinking it would accurately measure 7 in my Bronco (it does) works great...if I had a Raptor.

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The initial question, which has now hopefully been answered "officially" by Ford is the the (non-Raptor) Bronco 2.7 oil capacity is 6 quarts. Shouldn't matter what the factory fill was unless we are working on the line that adds that factory fill and we need to know then how much to put in it. Ford should ensure at PDI that the oil level is the full mark.
Yes but I am curious what beholds the Raptor. Already we have a discrepancy with the tech specs showing 7 qts and the owners manual showing 7.5 qts. As far as I know the owners manual specs are for service changes with oil filter as specified, not initial fill. There haven't been any Raptors delivered yet nor a pdf owners manual available online so maybe it's up for revision. Or maybe that's what holding up the Raptors at Jurassic Parked. I just hope the dipstick measures full when they come in, and not and inch over.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That is the (current) party line from Ford...but then they also need to change the warning in the owners manual that says:

Anyone in this forum that chooses to stay with more than 6 quarts with the H (proper) stick, regardless of whatever the initial fill was, is choosing to ignore that. So which is it, Ford? Coin toss for "will not cause any harm to an engine" or "oil level above maximum mark may cause engine damage?" Sheeeeeesh...does it really take all that much energy to come up with a uniform answer?

And the "solution" is no longer to use the Raptor stick, because Ford has now updated just about everything (without actually telling the purchasers themselves anything) to indicate that the new C stick (and 6 quarts) is the proper stick. That means if dealers are continuing to add 7 quarts that they are in conflict with their own manuals (and are ignoring their own warnings).

And although the 2.7 and 3.0 have the same overall block dimensions, pretending that the 2.7 is the same as a Raptor 3.0 (even for oil capacity) is like saying a Chevrolet 283 is the same as Chevrolet 302. Far more changed between those engines than just bore and stroke...and much of the plumbing to and from the turbos in the Raptor engine (and the turbos themselves) are not even close to the 2.7. For months and months we have all been seeking a definitive answer from Ford as to exactly how much oil is the correct amount for the 2.7, and now that we have the most definitive answer so far (sans an actual explanation) many people are simply disregarding that answer (even though it matches all the other 2.7s) and are going to use their own capacities...dunno why that is. I hope every Bronco owner never has problems with their engines whether they choose to use 6 quarts or 16 (whatever makes them sleep better), but given the rapidly growing numbers of folks who have been denied warranty claims for even FOLLOWING directions I imagine Ford would love to deny claims for units owned by folks who have chosen to NOT follow them.
Chey 283 and 327 were the same..... You can use the 283 crank in the 327 block if its a small journal. The 283 or 327 rods are the same. You will have to use.125 oversize 283 pistons, not the 327 ones, because of the difference in placement of the piston pin to crown dimention.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes... Ford wants you to run a qt low so they won't have to recall the sticks... :)

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Chey 283 and 327 were the same..... You can use the 283 crank in the 327 block if its a small journal. The 283 or 327 rods are the same. You will have to use.125 oversize 283 pistons, not the 327 ones, because of the difference in placement of the piston pin to crown dimention.
My point is that the DZ 302 used a forged crank (tufftride coated), forged rods (shot-peened, floating wrist pins), forged pistons...452/.455 Duntov (30/30) cam, different heads/valves/balancer/etc. etc. Sure there were plenty of backyard builders who thought they could simply "make" a 302 cannibalizing parts from 283/327, but it was not the same thing. I still have all my build sheets with all the factory PNs...virtually nothing is the same between the 302 and any other small block other than the external dimensions of the blocks and heads. Most interestingly, and related to our original topic, the 302 used a baffled oil pan...to keep the oil where it belonged during cornering and hard acceleration...because GM knew even back then that too much or too little oil had a profound effect on engine longevity and performance. The point I am trying to make is that our 2.7s are no more a Raptor 3.0 than a 283 is a 302. The Chevy oil stick from even waaay back then on a 302 made it simple...an add mark, a full mark, and even the type of oil designation.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes... Ford wants you to run a qt low so they won't have to recall the sticks... :)
I wouldn't put that ploy past Ford...but they must be awfully confident that running low won't lead to anything they have to warranty (I suppose than can deny whatever they choose down the road). I just got a random pack of playing cards from Ford...and a hammock before that...and a flag...and a calendar. They could have provided a lot of new sticks for the costs of those knick-knacks.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model