First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Folks, the earth is flat. Those scientists and their new fangled theories that world is round is just plain wrong. They don’t know what they’re talking about.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the manual specifically say "do not overfill" or does it just say it takes 6 quarts and you still have 1.5 quarts DIRTY oil still in the system. That is if only 6 comes out. Consider this, if 6 quarts drains out each time and dealer adds 7, then after two oil changes my Bronco should be 2 quarts overfill. Eventually removingb6 and adding 7 will result in a level reaching the piston skirts
That is not at all how it works. If your dealer drains your engine, regardless of how much oil was added the last time, and adds 7, then at the next oil change 7 will drain out...every time.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmmm, tempting. Is it one of the unobtainium models?
I do have one of the few C models...the dealer who ordered it said it was the only one Detroit had...but lol and behold it is essentially the same stick as the original 6 quart one (with a higher twist). I should have saved myself 20 dollars.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would just feel better knowing my engine has the amount of oil it is supposed to have...yes, the SSM says 7 should not cause harm, but that directly contradicts the current manual that clearly indicates NOT to fill over the max mark...and if you have the H stick, the one that is now deemed as the ONLY correct stick for the 2.7 in the database, I guarantee that your oil level is way over that (or the dealer didn't put 7 quarts in it).
I would NOT be concerned about running 7 quarts based on that warning in the manual.

No way any manual would ever get approved by the lawyers without having all kinds of warnings, and a great deal of that manual is copied and pasted from past Ford manuals. That warning was there before they changed the official number, and they certainly weren't going to remove it.

If you're going to assume an engineer signed off on them changing the official number, then you also have to assume an engineer signed off on the SSM specifically stating that running at the original oil level isn't going to hurt anything.

Remember, they advertised the Bronco as running 7qt, are filling it with 7.5qt at the factory, and plenty of owners and dealers are still filling with 7qt.

At this point, there is absolutely no reason to think running with 7qt is going to cause any problems.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do have one of the few C models...the dealer who ordered it said it was the only one Detroit had...but lol and behold it is essentially the same stick as the original 6 quart one (with a higher twist). I should have saved myself 20 dollars.
Well, whatever you do, don’t sell them individually. They’re worth more to collectors as a complete set.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, whatever you do, don’t sell them individually. They’re worth more to collectors as a complete set.
I am missing only one of the set of the "fiasco four"...but I'd gladly give up on collecting them (and for practical purposes given the SSM I guess as Meatloaf sang two out of three ain't bad).

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That is not at all how it works. If your dealer drains your engine, regardless of how much oil was added the last time, and adds 7, then at the next oil change 7 will drain out...every time.
What about everyone that actually measured what they drained out doing their own? Seems to me nobody said they got 7 out. Only 6. That is a year ago when this all started.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What about everyone that actually measured what they drained out doing their own? Seems to me nobody said they got 7 out. Only 6. That is a year ago when this all started.
I can't speak for everyone but I got 7 out on my first factory fill oil drain (I measured it down to ounces in the pan and then the weight of the saturated filter element compared to a new element...it holds about 3 ounces), added 7, and got 7 out again during the second oil change. If you wait 15 minutes after shutting the engine off (at least), and remove the oil filter first before you remove the drain plug, the seven (6.7) quarts takes all of about 30 seconds to drain.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't speak for everyone but I got 7 out on my first factory fill oil drain (I measured it down to ounces in the pan and then the weight of the saturated filter element compared to a new element...it holds about 3 ounces), added 7, and got 7 out again during the second oil change. If you wait 15 minutes after shutting the engine off (at least), and remove the oil filter first before you remove the drain plug, the seven (6.7) quarts takes all of about 30 seconds to drain. There are loads of folks on this forum who got 7 total out.

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I can't speak for everyone but I got 7 out on my first factory fill oil drain (I measured it down to ounces in the pan and then the weight of the saturated filter element compared to a new element...it holds about 3 ounces), added 7, and got 7 out again during the second oil change. If you wait 15 minutes after shutting the engine off (at least), and remove the oil filter first before you remove the drain plug, the seven (6.7) quarts takes all of about 30 seconds to drain.
Your math is a little flawed. .3 qts is not 3 oz, but 9.6oz.. I got the same out, 6.7qts, which really wasn’t a precise measurement when eyeball measuring in qts. That number was totally expected. I've generally accepted 1/4 quart loss on a drain as being residual left in the filter, clinging to the drain pan (which is actually quite a bit), oil consumption, and evaporative loss. If anyone got a whole 7 quarts out then they got out more than they should have and are getting out more than they are putting back in. Not by much and it doesn't really matter but next time I bet they only drain out around 6 3/4 quarts.

Last edited:

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
FWIW, earlier in the thread there are people such as myself who mentioned getting 7 qts out from first drain, and using that as the determining factor for the fill ( this was when manual said 7 and initial info from @flip was confirming this number). I did let it drain for quite a long time to get that number, so I can see where things may vary, but I wouldn't think by a full quart.
Sponsored