First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yellow handle H stick. Part #FT4E-6750-BF D454A. Oil is showing right at the start of the twist on the stick. Exactly where it was the day I bought it.

20220806_105853.jpg

20220806_110017.jpg
With 7 quart fill, yes?
Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand that perspective for a mostly on-road daily driver, but my use case is different, knowing the kind of pitch and roll angles that my Bronco sees routinely on local off-road trails in the Ozarks.

Remember this little gem posted on Bronco Nation last year?

The larger pans mean the Bronco will hold seven quarts of oil (the Ranger uses six).
And there is a new thread discussing this issue on a motor oil forum.
sounds like a bunch of Ford PR/propaganda
According to the BN post the 2.3 also is supposed to get 7qt capacity. I don't recall ever hearing the 2.3 specs for Bronco were 7qt, always 6qt.

Maybe we'll get an aftermarket oil pan with baffling for off-road. I don't trust Ford did anything to the 2.3 / 2.7 for off road use, just whatever it took to make it fit (packaging).

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand that perspective for a mostly on-road daily driver, but my use case is different, knowing the kind of pitch and roll angles that my Bronco sees routinely on local off-road trails in the Ozarks.

That is precisely why I am so flustered by the 6/7 quart thing...because I wheel things like the Rubicon and at those angles and that far off the beaten path it would suck to lose an engine. I have no clue why Ford, if the Bronco is designed to be so off road "capable," not only can screw up something so simple as an oil level but also not add something as cheap as a baffle to keep oil in the sump during extreme angles or an option like a dry sump...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
According to the BN post the 2.3 also is supposed to get 7qt capacity. I don't recall ever hearing the 2.3 specs for Bronco were 7qt, always 6qt.

Maybe we'll get an aftermarket oil pan with baffling for off-road. I don't trust Ford did anything to the 2.3 / 2.7 for off road use, just whatever it took to make it fit (packaging).
I am stunned that there isn't a company churning out proper oil pans right now with baffles/windage trays and matching dipsticks.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh, I fully understand that BN is owned by Jackson Dawson Communications, Inc., Ford’s external marketing firm, and a lot of what they publish could be construed as Ford PR/propaganda, but when the message, embodied by that BN post, is then supported by a factory dry fill spec for the 2.7L engine (my engine) in line with the message, the factory dry fill spec, which has not changed following this latest SSM, cannot simply be ignored.

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am stunned that there isn't a company churning out proper oil pans right now with baffles/windage trays and matching dipsticks.
The Bronco will have a strong aftermarket, so maybe just a matter of time.

One of the reasons I switched from the mercedes G to the Bronco was aftermarket support. There is little available for the G, especially in the USA, and usually just 1 option.
Thankfully it was more than capable and robust from the factory and just needed some spring spacers and bigger tires.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh, I fully understand that BN is owned by Jackson Dawson Communications, Inc., Ford’s external marketing firm, and a lot of what they publish could be construed as Ford PR/propaganda, but when the message, embodied by that BN post, is then supported by a factory dry fill spec in line with the message, the factory dry fill spec, which has not changed following this latest SSM, cannot simply be ignored.
The SSM cannot change factory fill spec on engines that have already been filled. They were filled with 7.5qt and that fact should not change. A technician would be doubly confused if when a Bronco comes in and it's filled with >7qts but the spec for factory fill says it was only filled with 6qt.

We need to wait and see if the factory fill spec is updated for new Broncos. Should be completed for 2023.

I have no idea where to find the factory fill spec, probably some Ford system I (as a lowly consumer of Ford products) don't have access to.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The SSM cannot change factory fill spec on engines that have already been filled. They were filled with 7.5qt and that fact should not change. A technician would be doubly confused if when a Bronco comes in and it's filled with >7qts but the spec for factory fill says it was only filled with 6qt.

We need to wait and see if the factory fill spec is updated for new Broncos. Should be completed for 2023.

I have no idea where to find the factory fill spec, probably some Ford system I (as a lowly consumer of Ford products) don't have access to.
SSM 50981 2021-2022 Bronco – 2.7L GTDI Engine – Service Oil Capacity UpdateThe 2021-2022 Bronco 2.7L GTDI engine oil capacity specification with oil filter change has been updated to 6 quarts. The workshop manual has been updated with this information and electronic versions of the owner’s manual are in process of receiving the update. Following the previously recommended capacity is not necessary, but will not cause any harm to the engine. The initial fill capacity for a new/dry engine remains 7.5 quarts.

[Emphasis added]

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, 7 quarts Motorcraft synthetic. Should I drain a quart out so it doesn't show overfill anymore? Who knows... that SSM said 7 quarts doesn't matter. So confusing.
Adding that verbiage to the SSM was insane. What oil level is an issue? If the stock stick goes down to 5qt at min level, is that 2 qts low? 1qt low?

The owners manual says to bring it to a dealer if oil level consistently measures above the max fill line, where I assume they'll drain a qt to fix.

Sponsored

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Those motor oil forum guys are reading b6g.

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Adding that verbiage to the SSM was insane. What oil level is an issue? If the stock stick goes down to 5qt at min level, is that 2 qts low? 1qt low?

The owners manual says to bring it to a dealer if oil level consistently measures above the max fill line, where I assume they'll drain a qt to fix.
I'm convinced those guys don't know what the f stick they're doing.

Last edited:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those motor oil forum guys are reading b6g.
Obviously! 😂 80% of media references lately have been based on info found on B6G. But it’s a different audience — motor oil guys — discussing the same subject matter, not just Bronco owners.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SSM 50981 2021-2022 Bronco – 2.7L GTDI Engine – Service Oil Capacity UpdateThe 2021-2022 Bronco 2.7L GTDI engine oil capacity specification with oil filter change has been updated to 6 quarts. The workshop manual has been updated with this information and electronic versions of the owner’s manual are in process of receiving the update. Following the previously recommended capacity is not necessary, but will not cause any harm to the engine. The initial fill capacity for a new/dry engine remains 7.5 quarts.

[Emphasis added]
Yes, they confirm the engine plant filled with 7.5 qt and are not updating the current manual, which I assume is a Ford factory work manual, meant for service techs.

Does the SSM go to the engine plant as well?
I expect the engine plant to get updated specs for factory fill of 2.7, but I don't know if that will come as an SSM.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, they confirm the engine plant filled with 7.5 qt and are not updating the current manual, which I assume is a Ford factory work manual, meant for service techs.

Does the SSM go to the engine plant as well?
I expect the engine plant to get updated specs for factory fill of 2.7, but I don't know if that will come as an SSM.
TBH, I don’t know which plant does factory dry fills? :unsure:

I assumed that it would be MAP, not Lima, with only assembly lube being applied at Lima, and all factory dry fills being done at MAP (e.g., engine oil, engine coolant, wiper fluid, A/C refrigerant, gasoline). It would seem unlikely that a vendor would ship fuel tanks partially filled with gasoline to MAP just to shave a few seconds off of JIT manufacturing, so there must be a fluid fill station somewhere in the assembly sequence at MAP, at least for gasoline, and presumably for other fluids, too. 🤷‍♂️

If that assumption is wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.
Sponsored