Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Purchased tow hitch and wiring from Ford parts and took to local dealer, they said yes we can do that and quoted $125, two days and 16 hrs total labor time later they were complete, said all future labor charges for Bronco tow hitch install would be over $500 charged (they honored original quote for me)ā€¦noted the hitch itself was easy, the wiring was a complete nightmare, has to be run thru the interior etcā€¦..just a heads up donā€™t be shocked if you get a high quote from dealer on theseā€¦..
Sponsored

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wh
Purchased tow hitch and wiring from Ford parts and took to local dealer, they said yes we can do that and quoted $125, two days and 16 hrs total labor time later they were complete, said all future labor charges for Bronco tow hitch install would be over $500 charged (they honored original quote for me)ā€¦noted the hitch itself was easy, the wiring was a complete nightmare, has to be run thru the interior etcā€¦..just a heads up donā€™t be shocked if you get a high quote from dealer on theseā€¦..
Which is exactly why I ordered it from the factory and didnā€™t budge by changing my order. There were threads that said the wiring was not just splicing in to the harness in the back.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sounds like if youā€™re not the first guy at your dealership to have it done, be prepared to shell out. For all the first guys - wheee

Sponsored

bdg149

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.5 VW Atlas, 1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
So this means us Base buyers are screwed?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pfffft. What were they doing for the other 13hours? Tell them to look at my post on two package. Everything they need should be in the left rear. No need to run power from the front, factory tt wiring is there to tap into for 12+, just have to change the fuse in the box to a 15A instead of the 30 or 40. Ground is 12" from the +. Only thing is taking the rear trim panels off to tap into wiring and MAYBE take the left rear light out to snake wires behind BLIS sensor.

This was just a flat 4, right?

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If the accessory is purchased with the vehicle as opposed to after the fact, the dealership is required to install for free, correct?

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
There could be an install price difference if you don't order through 2021 Bronco Accessories | Customize Your Ford and add installation cost with a local dealer.
My dealer was unaware that there is a low install cost for some items on the Ford site. Even Ford parts help line was unaware install pricing is shown.
Bottom line from Ford and my dealer-if I order on the official site with items shipping to the dealer, the low install price stands.
Apparently dealers have the ability to modify this official site pricing for their dealership. My dealer found that some had.
If you are considering using a dealer to install an accessory, you might want to lock in the pricing before this gets modified.
@flip what's you take on this ?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a back end tool in the accessory system that gives us an estimated installation time. Some look fairly reasonable, others look really light. It assumes the dealer has installed some of these and is proficient.

The trailer hitch itself is fairly straight forward. Drop the rear bumper, 4 bolts, torque, reinstall bumper. The wiring, IMO, should be much easier than what the Ford instructions are and shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours doing it my way. If all vehicles have the TT factory wiring like I think they do, the install is all done in the back. I'll document when my other right gets here next week.

To the question. If you get an install quote for something they should honor it. I won't give a hard quote on a job we haven't done before. The accessory install time should be used as a guide but it's not realistic. Like I said, my way of doing a 4 pin should take 2-3 hours and the hitch itself, about an hour. Definitely know how they are going to charge prior to doing the work (quoted amount or time and materials). Coming back after the fact and wanting hundreds more usually doesn't fly.

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a back end tool in the accessory system that gives us an estimated installation time. Some look fairly reasonable, others look really light. It assumes the dealer has installed some of these and is proficient.

The trailer hitch itself is fairly straight forward. Drop the rear bumper, 4 bolts, torque, reinstall bumper. The wiring, IMO, should be much easier than what the Ford instructions are and shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours doing it my way. If all vehicles have the TT factory wiring like I think they do, the install is all done in the back. I'll document when my other right gets here next week.

To the question. If you get an install quote for something they should honor it. I won't give a hard quote on a job we haven't done before. The accessory install time should be used as a guide but it's not realistic. Like I said, my way of doing a 4 pin should take 2-3 hours and the hitch itself, about an hour. Definitely know how they are going to charge prior to doing the work (quoted amount or time and materials). Coming back after the fact and wanting hundreds more usually doesn't fly.
So, youā€™re looking at 3 - 4 hours total, correct? I donā€™t get much work done at shops but arenā€˜t most shop rates $80 to $125 an hour? That would equate to anywhere from $240 to $500 for install plus parts, right?

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, youā€™re looking at 3 - 4 hours total, correct? I donā€™t get much work done at shops but arenā€˜t most shop rates $80 to $125 an hour? That would equate to anywhere from $240 to $500 for install plus parts, right?
Dealer pricing varies on the Ford Accessories site. I see the wiring install at $180 - $275 for two local dealers. Hitch was $180 -$100 installed. So one was $360 total- the other $375

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jb7

Jb7

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Pfffft. What were they doing for the other 13hours? Tell them to look at my post on two package. Everything they need should be in the left rear. No need to run power from the front, factory tt wiring is there to tap into for 12+, just have to change the fuse in the box to a 15A instead of the 30 or 40. Ground is 12" from the +. Only thing is taking the rear trim panels off to tap into wiring and MAYBE take the left rear light out to snake wires behind BLIS sensor.

This was just a flat 4, right?
Yes 4 pin wiring, the wiring package required wiring all the way up front to battery down one side and split to both rear lights with some sort of module box, looked like it would be plug and play but they had a real hard time with it, one day was spent just on carefully removing all the interior pieces and running the actual wiring I believe from there comments

OP
OP
Jb7

Jb7

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

On the flip side, if you don't care about the wiring and just want the hitch for a bike rack or whatever sounds like dealer install may be the way to go...
Yes they actually asked me the first day half way thru (because I waited the first day thinking it would be 2 hrs tops) if I really wanted the wiring and not just the hitch lol, told em it would be hard to tow a light trailer or my motorcycle with no light hookups

OP
OP
Jb7

Jb7

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If the accessory is purchased with the vehicle as opposed to after the fact, the dealership is required to install for free, correct?
May be, I purchased thru an online Ford parts dealer though after purchase
Sponsored