Sponsored

Dealer just requested another $400 to advance my reservation.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

WOW! SC has a whole lotta "UNK" on the dealer price spreadsheet. Yuck...
Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The guy I'm working with at my local dealership said there will be a $500 deposit at time of order in December. I've seen a couple mentions of deposits at time of order being normal. The OPs email mentioned $400 to complete the order. That might just mean in December at time of order, they'll need $400 more for the deposit on top the $100 reservation they already have ?‍♂

Also, personal question, is a deposit normal when placing a new car order? and does it go towards the purchase price in the end?
When I ordered my 14 and my 18 Corvettes the dealer required a 1000 deposit. Refundable if financing fell though and a few other reasons. The dealer my reservation for the Bronco is at is where I ordered my 17 F-150 Platinum. Ordered on a hand shake.

OP
OP
UTultimate

UTultimate

Badlands
First Name
UltimateBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Strange, I have my reservation with the same dealership and have not received any requests for extra money. I do have a different salesman though. I wonder if Mr. Kevin is doing this on his own without full sanction of the dealership?
I have bought several trucks and cars from them in the last twenty years and have had nothing but the most pleasurable experience buying from them. Service Department, that's another story.
Spoke with them today, they said, "We HOPE to sell at MSRP" but they couldn't/wouldn't guarantee it. You might want to look into moving.

Micklimey1972

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 M40i, Shelby GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live in Greenville SC and have since 1997. I have had zero luck with any dealership negotiating a below MSRP deal. I’ve bought six mustangs and two GT350’s. I have always bought out of state due to this. Dealing with dealers here is impossible. I had a deal done on a GT for 4 grand under MSRP from a dealer in GA. Fairway Ford said it would be a bait and switch and refused to match. I drove just outside of Atlanta and signed and drove out about hour and half later. I am sure there is a good dealership out there but I have yet to find them. I’m flying to Granger to pick mine up. I have had no bad experiences buying out of state. Knock on wood.

Sponsored

Neigh.hey

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your call and valid logic - but $1K? Seriously? In my case, a prospective 4-door Badlands buyer, using the leaked pricing info (and before options, which further increase the delta) the MSRP for the Badlands is $44,590. The invoice is $43,030. So that's already $1,560. Then the standard best deal so far that was initiated by Granger Ford in Iowa (and matched in West Virginia) is $1K below invoice plus an additional $300 if X-plan eligible (which I am). So that's a delta of $2,860 before options. For me, once options are added, that's definitely well into the mid to high $3K range of savings.

Being in Chicago obviously I'm very close to Iowa, and there's multiple flights a day out of O'Hare for ~$100. Like a lot of folks I've got a ton of miles so in reality I'd end up paying maybe 10 bucks or so in taxes/fees. A tank of gas or so on the way back and I'm still ahead multiple thousands of dollars. Biggest risk is increased cholesterol stopping for Iowa breaded pork tenderloin sandwich or 3, some Maid-Rite loose meat sandwiches and maybe some Quad Cities pizza.

For a SC resident as yourself I can't imagine the flight cost to WV is that high and it's a 2 or 3 tank full day's drive back to Charleston. At the end of the day, obviously, it's any individual's call as to what is best for them . . . but there's way more than $1K savings on that table.
Well maybe I'm a reading the MSRP vs. Invoice thing like an idiot...god I hate finance numbers, especially with car dealerships. Everytime I think I have them figured out and pricing set, and then you get in the 'room with the finance manager' to finish it and sh*t hits the fan.

I guess I'm not getting that below invoice pricing accurately. What you are referring to when you say "delta" is that the below invoice pricing is avoiding the MSRP upcharge on: the model charge, and every option you are going to include/order? As in that below invoice/invoice price avoids upcharges that would be on everything?

I was thinking MSRP vs. Invoice was only on actual vehicle base and would not take into account options added beyond that. But that sounds stupid now that I think about it. My order planned is a 4-door Black Diamond, manual trans, mid-package, and some version of hard top. So if there is upcharge on MSRP vs. Invoice on all of those it does seem like a ton more than $1k. Hmmm. God damn B&P...

Last edited:

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well maybe I'm a reading the MSRP vs. Invoice thing like an idiot...god I hate finance numbers, especially with car dealerships. Everytime I think I have them figured out and pricing set, and then you get in the 'room with the finance manager' to finish it and sh*t hits the fan.

I guess I'm not reading that below invoice pricing accurately. What you are referring to when you say "delta" is that the below invoice pricing is avoiding the MSRP upcharge on: the model charge, and every option you are going to include/order? As in that below invoice/invoice price avoids upcharges that would be on everything?

I guess I was thinking MSRP vs. Invoice was only on actual vehicle base and would not take into account options added beyond that. But that sounds stupid now that I think about it. My order planned is a 4-door Black Diamond, manual trans, mid-package, and some version of hard top. So if there is upcharge on MSRP vs. Invoice on all of those it does seem like a ton more than $1k. Hmmm. God damn B&P...
Exactly. If mid package is $1500. You’ll pay the “invoice” price of the option package. Albert has said its 6-10% off of the $1500. My numbers might be off but you get my drift.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess I'm not reading that below invoice pricing accurately. What you are referring to when you say "delta" is that the below invoice pricing is avoiding the MSRP upcharge on: the model charge, and every option you are going to include/order? As in that below invoice/invoice price avoids upcharges that would be on everything?

I guess I was thinking MSRP vs. Invoice was only on actual vehicle base and would not take into account options added beyond that. But that sounds stupid now that I think about it. My order planned is a 4-door Black Diamond, manual trans, mid-package, and some version of hard top. So if there is upcharge on MSRP vs. Invoice on all of those it does seem like a ton more than $1k. Hmmm. God damn B&P...
Here is my rudimentary understanding.

Options are added during the B&P /order process (B&P tool is for us at home but the dealers have something similar WBDO or something). Accessories are added at the dealership.

Everything has an invoice and an MSRP. The truck has an invoice as do the mid package, Squatch, off road light pods, rooftop tent etc. If you order something from B&P then that will be at invoice (assuming one of the main offers) otherwise it will be above invoice but probably less than MSRP.

I hope that helps at least a little.

Neigh.hey

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here is my rudimentary understanding.

Options are added during the B&P /order process (B&P tool is for us at home but the dealers have something similar WBDO or something). Accessories are added at the dealership.

Everything has an invoice and an MSRP. The truck has an invoice as do the mid package, Squatch, off road light pods, rooftop tent etc. If you order something from B&P then that will be at invoice (assuming one of the main offers) otherwise it will be above invoice but probably less than MSRP.

I hope that helps at least a little.

It does...confirms I'm an idiot about that...guess I finally see how the 'below invoice' pricing is not the $1k issue but could be much more. Makes more sense for travel to out of state, dammit.

I think I will be doing some serious numbers once B&P is out and if those big boy dealers pricing makes that difference I would rather loose my first reservation and put in a second one and just get the truck at a later date.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UTultimate

UTultimate

Badlands
First Name
UltimateBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm almost embarrassed to paste this up here, again, but I think everyone needs to see it... just so they can be clear-headed when they listen to the sales guys rant! If you hear any of this stuff, RUN!!!

Don’t accept all the stupid shid that the other Inside Sales Agents and Internet Sales Agents are telling you… and I think I’ve heard it all: “were working to get MSRP for all of our loyal customers;” “my manager thinks the X Plan will be available;” “there is a strong possibility that Ford will include the ___ Plan, but they haven’t told us yet” (it’s actually up to the dealership, not Ford); and the always interesting “we haven’t decided yet, but my manager says that there’s a good possibility that…“

You gotta know that if you accept this kind of stuff, that: 1) your azz is hanging out, and you will be solely at their mercy after October 31 (the last date that you can change dealers). You need to get an agreement in writing from a Manager or Director at that dealership… or you’ve got NOTHING!
I live in Greenville SC and have since 1997. I have had zero luck with any dealership negotiating a below MSRP deal. I’ve bought six mustangs and two GT350’s. I have always bought out of state due to this. Dealing with dealers here is impossible. I had a deal done on a GT for 4 grand under MSRP from a dealer in GA. Fairway Ford said it would be a bait and switch and refused to match. I drove just outside of Atlanta and signed and drove out about hour and half later. I am sure there is a good dealership out there but I have yet to find them. I’m flying to Granger to pick mine up. I have had no bad experiences buying out of state. Knock on wood.
How are you going to handle the break in period. Might be easier to have it shipped from Stephens. Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

Neigh.hey

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How are you going to handle the break in period. Might be easier to have it shipped from Stephens. Just my 2 cents.
That was part of my thinking/issue with buying out of state. Seems pretty problematic if you are doing a trade in vehicle. If you are not, and just purchasing, I think shipping is worth it. If you are going to be doing a trade in with your current vehicle that is a bit of a problem. If the dealer knows you are coming out of state on a pre-ordered Bronco and giving you a 'below invoice' price, then you show up with your trade in vehicle at pick up time to finalize paperwork...I'm not sure they have to/going to give you fair value. I mean cmon, you are pretty trapped at that point and you either take their offer or drive both trucks home. Whoops! Could be a problem.

I'm driving a 2015 Toyota Tundra with 170K miles currently (I'm self-employed and drive 30-35k a year) and I'm expecting I will be one of those early 2022 Bronco orders (per my late reso order) so by then it should be around 220k miles. That is a mile range I could be messed with on trade in value. I'm not sure about the out of state trade in situation. Guess I have time, lol.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It does...confirms I'm an idiot about that...guess I finally see how the 'below invoice' pricing is not the $1k issue but could be much more. Makes more sense for travel to out of state, dammit.

I think I will be doing some serious numbers once B&P is out and if those big boy dealers pricing makes that difference I would rather loose my first reservation and put in a second one and just get the truck at a later date.
I wonder if North7s spreadsheet is still accurate. Meaning that, before Granger upped their x-plan offer to 1300 below, the cutoff for Laura vs. Granger was the Big Bend. Meaning that if you wanted Base or Big Bend then Laura was the better deal. Haven't looked recently with the 1300. I think the Granger deal shuts Laura out completely at this point.

The Stephen's deal would be similar if not equal but they weren't around "way back then".

Anyway, the out-of-state thing is helpful because not only does it help on the out the door price but it also affects the sales tax paid and in MA the yearly excise. So it is a longer term savings. Not to mention a vacation on the way home.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yeah - the "Ravenel" deposit policy. Does that make it a contract and then you are screwed with whatever they tell you for pricing. etc? I'd shop around and find a new spot - but wait until more into October before blowing your 1 and only switch.

bokirby

Big Bend
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 435i Xdrive
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I haven’t given my dealer any down payment, and I’ve actually ordered and cancelled a bronco sport even after sending in the build sheet, because I wanted to switch to the bronco. They gave me no hassle and were eager to answer any new questions I had. I would switch dealers, like the majority are saying as well.

danzy55

Base
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
How are most people going to miss Summer 2021? Ford has said that ordering will take place in Dec, so if B&P isn't up until just before then (which we all hope it doesn't come down to that), how will that make people miss Summer 2021?

Just confused by your statement...
I'm confused why Ford is taking so much time to have things like build and price functional and taking proper orders. Its getting on to October.. and if demand is what they say a lot of us are going to have a long long wait..
Sponsored