Sponsored

Dealer left me alone with their Bronco...

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dealer had their mannequin arrive and I got to have a long interaction, including test drive.

The vehicle: Big Bend Sasquatch, Race Red, 10-Auto, 2.7L v6, soft top, tow package, upgraded bumper and upgraded headlamps.

IMG_E0425.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

1626475232487.png

Here are my impressions and things I found that were interesting to me.

• The soft top was surprisingly loud for exterior noise. It was rather shocking to hear other vehicles at a distance to the point I was checking to see if the windows were open… often.
    • The driving noise for wind was not obnoxious or loud for the vehicle itself. Most of the wind noise comes from the back half of the vehicle. I suspect that the hard top will be the same. However, the road noise I was not expecting to hear were other vehicles near me. They sounded like they were right on top of me. Not a bad thing when the top is off or the windows are down, but it was unexpected. Likely normal (I’ve owned a convertible before, so this was a bit unexpected.)
    • The cross bars are not tightly integrated with the roof material in a consistent manner. I did not see a firm connection with the frame of the roof, so the free movement of the roof might also contribute to the noise I heard, or a more taught fit to snug the roof to the crossmembers would help, maybe?

• The soft top shell was not well fitted. There was a lot of unexpected slack in the top and not pulled tight for a taught fit (likely adding to some of the aft half wind noise). The rear quarter windows will have what will be known as the Bronco Wave… yeah, the soft top Bronco has a wave, but it’s not what you think. Careful about asking for a special wave, like the Jeep wave...
IMG_0377.JPG

1626477258768.png

• Personally for me, the sasquatch was not a good fit. I’d need steps or a running board to get in because of my situation. My better half would likely not even attempt to ride because it’s too high for her. I did not get the sasquatch package on my build because I knew beforehand it was too much. However, I will say that on the 4-door – it looks really well matched and sweet!

• I pushed several buttons and had a long time to search the on-board digital manual. I did NOT find the transmission code related to the transmission type on the bronco, but was told that it is the 10R40, same as the Explorer.

• It feels like a truck and drives like a truck with huge tires.
    • The transmission-motor communication from no acceleration to "tapping" for maintaining traffic speed was awful. It was very jerky trying to make a minor speed adjustment or cruise in traffic. I attribute this to a new transmission under 8k miles and has not learned how to handle the minor speed changes. I was in normal driving mode throughout my test drive. The v6 wanted to go, but the transmission was not ready. By time the transmission was ready, the transmission kick-in period was much higher in RPM than where it should have been.
    • The power to spin those massive 35” tires was adequate. 4-speed turbo Honda CR-V has more butt dyno power than this beast. It was NOT underwhelming by any means, but red-light shenanigans might be a stretch stock-configured sasquatch.
    • I did feel a lot of tire lateral roll doing an in-lane S-swerve maneuver to feel for handling at 50 MPH. It was not uncontrollable, nor did it feel unsafe. Adjustment to driving style on the 35s might be something the Bronco Off Rodeo addresses.
    • I like that the daytime running lights do not switch off when signaling. It’s a bonus touch from Ford to provide this feature per regulations. Normally the lights must switch off if the turn signal is not significantly brighter than the normal light. Most car companies cheap out on the brightness of the turn signal by placing the turn signal way away from the daytime lights or just switch them off when signaling. Kudos Ford.
(Reflection in the window as the Bronco must be in drive for the daytime running lights to be on.)
IMG_0412.JPG

• I found the cabin nice and well fitted for me and my 6 foot size.
    • The arm rest does not enter into the driver/passenger space. Likely a bonus for having the rounded door exterior. I compared it to a Wrangler and saw that the door did crowded me at the arm rest.
IMG_0404.JPG

(Wrangler for comparison)
IMG_0428.JPG

• The instrument panel, arm rest, and door sill were strategically placed exactly where I wanted them. Kudos to Ford for making every Bronco custom made for me (sorry better half).
IMG_0386.JPG

• I found it refreshing that every setting on the A/C could be activated at once. Long has it been that I’ve wanted my A/C to blow from every opening simultaneously to provide an ambient cooling feel without being overwhelmed by blasting from one or two openings. In the deep south it’s easy for your vehicle to quickly get hot when you open a door or have the cooling off for more than 3 seconds. The ability to have total cooling from feet to windshield at the same time is very welcoming.
IMG_0390.JPG

• There is no pocket below the cup holder for the key fob in case of battery loss. I’m assuming that you hold it to the starter or between the cups in the holder. I’m glad there is no special pocket to clean from mud, rain, or sloshing big gulp.
IMG_0398.JPG

• The radio sounded fine for a truck. I have no issues with the sound. It was more focused on the front as previously reported. I did opt for the B&O, so maybe it will be worth it to me, maybe not.

• The view from the driver seat was not crowded, diminished, or obstructed.
    • I could adjust the mirror to occupy the same visual space as the road monitoring sensors, so there was no real loss of visual field. The Wrangler cannot do this as their mirror is fixed in its position. The window is sufficient distance as to not feel like a second pair of glasses. I took a perspective photo from my view point using the same wide angle in both the Wrangler and the Bronco for comparison. I did sit in the 2-door Badlands mannequin last week and was not impressed with the view. I found that raising the seat to the proper driving height makes a huge difference… I suggest that when you have a drive, adjust the seat height for a better experience.
IMG_E0385.JPG

2-Door Wrangler, same camera settings. You can see starting from the left of the steering wheel in both photos how much larger the Bronco cabin feels in comparison to the same perspective in the Wrangler. (subjective and not scientific.)
IMG_E0430.JPG

• Other photos I took while looking over the mannequin.
IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

Blend QR Code.
IMG_0401.JPG
I think no matter what the road noise will be there, it’s a dang convertible, most everyone that has received their soft top Broncos have nothing but positive reviews for it, so I will go with that over the mannequin bronco...
Plus everyone perceives things so wildly different...
Sponsored

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mixed feelings. I know it has had zero time to learn driving patterns, so there is a chance to learn not to be a jerk. On the other had, my lead foot will feel right at home.
I also think it's going to change once the computer gets out of the turbo break in period.

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As for the soft-top not being taut/tight, it makes me wonder about the Bestop Trektop, and if they will offer a squareback top solution that is better if the OE top doesn't improve in future revs.
Unfortunately, the soft top windows have the wave b/c they had to soften the window material to make the tailgate pop up feature in the back.

I'm with you though in hoping someone comes up with a stiffer window replacement. Sure, the tilt up is neat, but I'll take the cleaner look.

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sneakers
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I found it refreshing that every setting on the A/C could be activated at once. Long has it been that I’ve wanted my A/C to blow from every opening simultaneously to provide an ambient cooling feel without being overwhelmed by blasting from one or two openings.
Ford Bronco Dealer left me alone with their Bronco... rt5

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That must be verified in the manual by matching the code with the vehicle brand. Ford has changed the transmission type with the same code, but changed the manual to specify the type. I could not confirm the transmission using the users manual as is posted in previous vehicles from Ford.

Maybe you can explain this...

Screenshot_20210716-192210_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lab00Rat

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe you can explain this...

Ford Bronco Dealer left me alone with their Bronco... Screenshot_20210716-192210_Chrome
Yeah, the 10R60, not the 10R80. We were all hoping for the 10R80, but I knew it was the lesser transmission that's in the Explorer and not the 10R80 as in the F-150. Memory slip.

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold 😥), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice write up!
I believe I've read the key slot is in the center console. That could just be me making things up though 😂

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks for posting!

Foordbrawnco

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love the detail, wouldn’t have even thought of looking at the door armrest crowding. Good to know I’ll have lots of room for activities

Sponsored

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Seriously QUOTE="BTomorama, post: 702836, member: 14027"]
Unfortunately, the soft top windows have the wave b/c they had to soften the window material to make the tailgate pop up feature in the back.

I'm with you though in hoping someone comes up with a stiffer window replacement. Sure, the tilt up is neat, but I'll take the cleaner look.
[/QUOTE]

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmm I was the opposite on the soft top. IMO it was way nicer and better than I was expecting. Road noise while driving is way less than I thought it would have been. So nice actually that if I had seen the top before my build was scheduled I might have swapped to the soft top. I do agree that it seems a little too loose considering it is brand new. Which is a little worrisome for how it will hold up after a few years.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The difference is something like 80% of people want the auto vs about the same percentage
NOT wanting a soft top.
Like a lot of others, I would get the manual with a 2.7 (4dr). But they dont offer it yet and I dont want to wait 2 years 😂. Getting the soft top you get the wiring harness, but you dont get the free sound deadening, also no clue how much it would be to ship a hard top to Hawaii after the fact... even still considering the soft top... so much to think about 🙈😩

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer had their mannequin arrive and I got to have a long interaction, including test drive.

The vehicle: Big Bend Sasquatch, Race Red, 10-Auto, 2.7L v6, soft top, tow package, upgraded bumper and upgraded headlamps.

Ford Bronco Dealer left me alone with their Bronco... Screenshot_20210716-192210_Chrome

Here are my impressions and things I found that were interesting to me.

• The soft top was surprisingly loud for exterior noise. It was rather shocking to hear other vehicles at a distance to the point I was checking to see if the windows were open… often.
    • The driving noise for wind was not obnoxious or loud for the vehicle itself. Most of the wind noise comes from the back half of the vehicle. I suspect that the hard top will be the same. However, the road noise I was not expecting to hear were other vehicles near me. They sounded like they were right on top of me. Not a bad thing when the top is off or the windows are down, but it was unexpected. Likely normal (I’ve owned a convertible before, so this was a bit unexpected.)
    • The cross bars are not tightly integrated with the roof material in a consistent manner. I did not see a firm connection with the frame of the roof, so the free movement of the roof might also contribute to the noise I heard, or a more taught fit to snug the roof to the crossmembers would help, maybe?

• The soft top shell was not well fitted. There was a lot of unexpected slack in the top and not pulled tight for a taught fit (likely adding to some of the aft half wind noise). The rear quarter windows will have what will be known as the Bronco Wave… yeah, the soft top Bronco has a wave, but it’s not what you think. Careful about asking for a special wave, like the Jeep wave...

• Personally for me, the sasquatch was not a good fit. I’d need steps or a running board to get in because of my situation. My better half would likely not even attempt to ride because it’s too high for her. I did not get the sasquatch package on my build because I knew beforehand it was too much. However, I will say that on the 4-door – it looks really well matched and sweet!

• I pushed several buttons and had a long time to search the on-board digital manual. I did NOT find the transmission code related to the transmission type on the bronco, but was told that it is the 10R40, same as the Explorer. EDIT: Should have stated 10R60, not 10R40.

• It feels like a truck and drives like a truck with huge tires.
    • The transmission-motor communication from no acceleration to "tapping" for maintaining traffic speed was awful. It was very jerky trying to make a minor speed adjustment or cruise in traffic. I attribute this to a new transmission under 8k miles and has not learned how to handle the minor speed changes. I was in normal driving mode throughout my test drive. The v6 wanted to go, but the transmission was not ready. By time the transmission was ready, the transmission kick-in period was much higher in RPM than where it should have been.
    • The power to spin those massive 35” tires was adequate. 4-speed turbo Honda CR-V has more butt dyno power than this beast. It was NOT underwhelming by any means, but red-light shenanigans might be a stretch stock-configured sasquatch.
    • I did feel a lot of tire lateral roll doing an in-lane S-swerve maneuver to feel for handling at 50 MPH. It was not uncontrollable, nor did it feel unsafe. Adjustment to driving style on the 35s might be something the Bronco Off Rodeo addresses.
    • I like that the daytime running lights do not switch off when signaling. It’s a bonus touch from Ford to provide this feature per regulations. Normally the lights must switch off if the turn signal is not significantly brighter than the normal light. Most car companies cheap out on the brightness of the turn signal by placing the turn signal way away from the daytime lights or just switch them off when signaling. Kudos Ford.
(Reflection in the window as the Bronco must be in drive for the daytime running lights to be on.)

• I found the cabin nice and well fitted for me and my 6 foot size.
    • The arm rest does not enter into the driver/passenger space. Likely a bonus for having the rounded door exterior. I compared it to a Wrangler and saw that the door did crowded me at the arm rest.

(Wrangler for comparison)

• The instrument panel, arm rest, and door sill were strategically placed exactly where I wanted them. Kudos to Ford for making every Bronco custom made for me (sorry better half).

• I found it refreshing that every setting on the A/C could be activated at once. Long has it been that I’ve wanted my A/C to blow from every opening simultaneously to provide an ambient cooling feel without being overwhelmed by blasting from one or two openings. In the deep south it’s easy for your vehicle to quickly get hot when you open a door or have the cooling off for more than 3 seconds. The ability to have total cooling from feet to windshield at the same time is very welcoming.

• There is no pocket below the cup holder for the key fob in case of battery loss. I’m assuming that you hold it to the starter or between the cups in the holder. I’m glad there is no special pocket to clean from mud, rain, or sloshing big gulp.

• The radio sounded fine for a truck. I have no issues with the sound. It was more focused on the front as previously reported. I did opt for the B&O, so maybe it will be worth it to me, maybe not.

• The view from the driver seat was not crowded, diminished, or obstructed.
    • I could adjust the mirror to occupy the same visual space as the road monitoring sensors, so there was no real loss of visual field. The Wrangler cannot do this as their mirror is fixed in its position. The window is sufficient distance as to not feel like a second pair of glasses. I took a perspective photo from my view point using the same wide angle in both the Wrangler and the Bronco for comparison. I did sit in the 2-door Badlands mannequin last week and was not impressed with the view. I found that raising the seat to the proper driving height makes a huge difference… I suggest that when you have a drive, adjust the seat height for a better experience.

2-Door Wrangler, same camera settings. You can see starting from the left of the steering wheel in both photos how much larger the Bronco cabin feels in comparison to the same perspective in the Wrangler. (subjective and not scientific.)

• Other photos I took while looking over the mannequin.

Blend QR Code.
Great review, thanks for touching on so many things away from what's already been covered!
Sponsored