First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Buying out of state can be a pretty major hassle. Especially as regards to taxes.

So, let's say I take Granger up on their offer, which is very tempting. I'd save around $2500; I plan to order a base 2Dorr manual). I have to pay 7% IA sales tax, or $2100 on a $30k Base. Now I take it to AZ, and AZ is going to say, you can't avoid sales tax by buying out of state, you owe us 6.3% sales tax of $1890.

Now, there is probably some form you can file to get your $2100 back from IA, as well as your double registration costs. Although we all know how much the government hates giving money back once they have it.

Either that, or you have to take possession in your own state, in which case I'm paying shipping from IA to AZ.

A lot of California dealers do that, they will haul the car just across the border so you don't have to pay CA sales tax or registration.
Sponsored

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Buying out of state can be a pretty major hassle. Especially as regards to taxes.

So, let's say I take Granger up on their offer, which is very tempting. I'd save around $2500; I plan to order a base 2Dorr manual). I have to pay 7% IA sales tax, or $2100 on a $30k Base. Now I take it to AZ, and AZ is going to say, you can't avoid sales tax by buying out of state, you owe us 6.3% sales tax of $1890.

Now, there is probably some form you can file to get your $2100 back from IA, as well as your double registration costs. Although we all know how much the government hates giving money back once they have it.

Either that, or you have to take possession in your own state, in which case I'm paying shipping from IA to AZ.

A lot of California dealers do that, they will haul the car just across the border so you don't have to pay CA sales tax or registration.
If you are out of state and buy from Granger you do not pay any Iowa sales tax.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you are out of state and buy from Granger you do not pay any Iowa sales tax.
Interesting. Most states make you pay the sales tax unless you "accept delivery" out of state. Which means shipping the car, not flying out and driving it home. If IA does not, that's a major incentive.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are so many errors in this that you should just go here:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/granger-ford-out-of-state-customers.3950/

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
I often times see people shop out of area or state, and then bitch when the local dealer doesn't want to help them on out on other things. Loyalty goes both ways the way I see it.

Good luck on the bargain shopping.
I tried to buy my last truck local. I even offered $1,500 over what I was paying from a dealer 6.5 hours away. I figured my time was worth something and keeping business local was worth something too. But no way was I paying $42,800 OTD vs $37,650 and the dealer simply said "if you can get that truck at that price, go buy it". Then they called me for a month solid asking if I was ready to talk??? So it wasn't as much me being cheap as it was them being greedy and arrogant.

I don't think they can turn down warranty work and no way would I ever go to a dealer for non warranty work, so I'm not looking to build a relationship to be helped.
Correct. We have a local dealer that tries to insinuate that they don't have to work on vehicles purchased elsewhere. They have been reported and scolded by Ford numerous times. What they will do is make you wait weeks (while they sit with no work) to schedule you in. I really don't get. Warranty work is not as profitable to the dealership as customer pay work, but it is still revenue and possibly customer building, especially when work is slow. Clowns. Then in my case they never called to tell me a part was in. Well, that part is in their inventory or sent back because I went to the next town over, 20 miles vs 10 miles and got my truck repaired by a dealer I had never been to. The big advantage buying locally is most dealers will give you a service loaner if you buy a new vehicle there ( people think Ford has to provide loaners, which is just not true, it's a dealership courtesy ) and they are more inclined to fix minor non warranty issues like paint chips.

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, other than paying $2100 to IA, and filing a form to get it back (like in most states) I pretty much had it.

Still saves me about $1000 though (which ain't bad) Assuming about $1400 to ship. Plus I can avoid city sales tax which would put another $300 in my pocket.

I bought a truck in VA a few years ago. Everything was done right there for my state of PA. I got a temp VA tag, but other than that, I paid all my PA sales tax there and nothing to VA. Any rebates/incentives will be based off of your zip code of residence, not the dealership. At least that's how VA did it for me. They actually overcharged me by like $140 for titling and sent me a check in the mail like 2 months later. I would have never known. Other than the 6.5hr drive, it was the easiest purchase I ever made. Definitely check with the dealer.

As for the OP,
This will be the first vehicle I have ever paid MSRP for. There is no vehicle in the world that I would pay a markup on. The dealer I am purchasing said they are honoring MSRP to reservations, but that regular inventory ( mid 22' ) will likely get a 10%-15% markup due to supply and demand from nearly every dealer in the state. He said not to expect incentives on Bronco for at least a few model years and then they would only by $500 or so. We shall see....

Last edited:

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This post is completely FALSE.

Go read the Granger threads. I live in Montana where we have zero sales tax. Granger sells me the vehicle with no tax collected, gives me paperwork, I drive back home and go to my courthouse (still has a gallows out front LOL) give them the paperwork and get my title & plates.

If you live in a state with sales tax and finance with Granger, they even cut you a check for the correct amount to give to your DMV. So EZ.

Granger has this dialed.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My dealer originally had a $7500 “market adjustment.” I complained to them and they were kind enough to lower it to $5000. I told them I was moving my reservation and now I’m at MSRP. It will be the first time I pay MSRP for a new car but I realize it is a popular new car with limited availability so I will swallow my pride and happily pay MSRP.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
This post is completely FALSE.
Talked to Zach, I pretty much had it 100%, except IA doesn't play the game of pay the tax and file a form to get it back, which all the states near me do.

Depending on the shipping quote, looks like I might save:
$2500 (price)
$300 (doc fee difference)
$450 (sales tax difference between county and city)
-$1500 (shipping)
-$50 (temp IA registration)

=$1700. That's not bad at all. Minus any BS AZ throws at me for bringing in an out of state vehicle. It's a pain, you have to go to the MVD in persona and have it inspected, but $1700 is real money. I could have Granger install better tires and still come out ahead.

More importantly: Granger says they can order Broncos, while all my Phoenix dealers say "wait until September".
Sponsored