Sponsored

Dealers Requiring Different Deposit Amounts (Sport as an example)

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
A lot can go wrong in 6+ months that would put you in a place to not be able to proceed with the purchase as planned. If the accepted minimum to place an order is a $100 refundable deposit and many dealers honor that, why put down a non-refundable deposit? Why wouldn’t you want to avoid the risk? It has nothing to do with being a poser, it’s basic risk mitigation.
Someone must bear the risk, either the buyer or the seller (dealer). As a dealer, I'm not comfortable giving you a good price (Invoice - $1000) AND taking the risk you won't buy the bespoke vehicle you ordered. If the buyer isn't willing to pay a deposit, then maybe I'll charge them MSRP? Each dealer will make their own decision.

If your finances are such that you aren't sure if you will be able to follow through on your purchase, then you ARE NOT A REAL BUYER, but rather you HOPE to be a real buyer in the future. I know that I'll be able to afford the car next year, so there is no risk for me. Others may not be in this financial position, but they should realize they are disadvantaged in negotiation.

Try buying a home without putting down a deposit before the closing. No seller will agree lock up their home for a buyer without some consideration (cash deposit). ECON/BUSINESS 101.
Sponsored

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Someone must bear the risk, either the buyer or the seller (dealer). As a dealer, I'm not comfortable giving you a good price (Invoice - $1000) AND taking the risk you won't buy the bespoke vehicle you ordered. If the buyer isn't willing to pay a deposit, then maybe I'll charge them MSRP? Each dealer will make their own decision.

If your finances are such that you aren't sure if you will be able to follow through on your purchase, then you ARE NOT A REAL BUYER, but rather you HOPE to be a real buyer in the future. I know that I'll be able to afford the car next year, so there is no risk for me. Others may not be in this financial position, but they should realize they are disadvantaged in negotiation.

Try buying a home without putting down a deposit before the closing. No seller will agree lock up their home for a buyer without some consideration (cash deposit). ECON/BUSINESS 101.
You must have missed the part where Granger for example is giving great deals with $100 refundable deposits. Or maybe the other dealers throughout the states participating in X-plan pricing without additional deposits. I agree the risk must be shared between dealer and buyer. Why take more of that yourself if you don't have to?

You misunderstand my point. It has nothing to do with available finances. You should know that you are able to afford the car you are special ordering. I’m not talking about window shoppers with nothing but a hope and dream of Bronco ownership. I’m talking about unforeseen life events. You can get laid off or hit by a car or get an illness and require extensive medical treatment where making a purchase of a $40k-$60k vehicle doesn’t make sense. I would say that the medical events are less likely, but lay-off potential is much higher for most people these days and it is unwise to ignore that potential.

House and car purchases are entirely different animals, especially in my area where house sales are highly competitive. I do own a house, and I put a substantial down payment when I purchased and I did a 15 year loan that I’ll be paying of in 10 years.

If you feel like paying a non-refundable deposit then that is your risk to take. I won’t because there is no need to and this purchase is purely discretionary.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ya I get that, but the whole deal sounds like, order your truck...bend over...spell r.u.n? Negotiate some fictional vehicle I just invented on Ford's website? I dunno...maybe I'm just not the right customer for today's new hip modern car industry? Don't get it, you gotta help me here!

EDIT: and while you are at it you never answered WHERE the info above came from? Was it an email from ford? Something you read on the ford website? There is lots of fuzzy info right now...I'm not calling you out, just everything I read seems sketchy lately.
It was posted here in the forum. I can't say where the info came from....?
Seems there is a lot that Ford has yet to explain, moving forward...

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A lot can go wrong in 6+ months that would put you in a place to not be able to proceed with the purchase as planned. If the accepted minimum to place an order is a $100 refundable deposit and many dealers honor that, why put down a non-refundable deposit? Why wouldn’t you want to avoid the risk? It has nothing to do with being a poser, it’s basic risk mitigation.
Exactly, winner, winner. Glad someone gets it.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ah...I'm not sure, this whole sort of thing is new to me- first year model ( I did buy the first year FJ, look how that worked out...kidding, I actually dig it), reservation, different reports on what is what's not, ordering sight unseen, fuck, I don't even know what color I want...or what colors there are for sure!..

That being said, it's frustratingly fun, if you are in a position to wait and take it or leave it.

I like that they put dealers in a position to deal against each other on a nationwide basis and it has brought some pretty good deals for a new release, highly sought after vehicle. I wish they gave us more than once choice of choosing, but in today's reality show environment, it creates suspense and thoughtful thinking. Everybody ( those present) has researched this truck: what deals can be had, what dealers are shit and which are upfront and semi transparent. ( still wish I had another choice to switch before Dec. )

Bottom line, it cost me nothing till the day I take delivery and then only if I like it.

It's a new experience, I'm rollin' with it.

edit to add:

btw , I dig your truck in your avatar... (y)
Thanx! I love that truck too...long crazy history its got! I don't get this process either...im way confused! Biggest thing that makes no sense is the 10/31 cutoff to switch dealers...how does that help me? I'm not going to know anymore on 10/31 than I do now! I mean I have no reason to bail on my dealer now...but I won't be able to when we get to brass tacks either so why bother? I mean I respect @granger for at least throwing a figure out there, but my dealer might be close enough in my mind to earn the sale...at this point he doesn't know...and probably won't be firm on it by 10/31

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

so two for me, two for my son, two for my GF, two for each of her 5 kids that's 16. not to mention whatever alias accounts I come up with?
And $1600 refundable dollars.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Additionally, if you go the Ford web site focusing on the 3 step reservation/ ordering process, Step 2 states the following,"Your dealer will reach out to you to place the order, verify pricing and configure the rest of your Bronco." Also under FAQ for the ordering process, it states, "Am I buying this vehicle directly from Ford?" Answer: "No, the purchase agreement will be between you and the dealer. Not you and Ford."
Ordering and purchasing aren't the same thing.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right. I just put down a $1000 non-refundable deposit on a 4Runner. The only reason I did it is because I am getting plan-pricing on it, so the paperwork is already handled, and the dealer has five 4Runners arriving in three weeks. Two of which are already spoken for and one of which is exactly what I was looking for. The risk was low. I'm getting exactly what I want, for a settled price, with a short delivery window.

I wouldn't want to float a non-refundable deposit on a vehicle for much longer than that or a deal with any more risk.

No way I'll be doing it when it comes time to order a Bronco.

OP
OP
Edelfin

Edelfin

Big Bend
First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Right. I just put down a $1000 non-refundable deposit on a 4Runner. The only reason I did it is because I am getting plan-pricing on it, so the paperwork is already handled, and the dealer has five 4Runners arriving in three weeks. Two of which are already spoken for and one of which is exactly what I was looking for. The risk was low. I'm getting exactly what I want, for a settled price, with a short delivery window.

I wouldn't want to float a non-refundable deposit on a vehicle for much longer than that or a deal with any more risk.

No way I'll be doing it when it comes time to order a Bronco.
That's a great real world example. Thanks! I started the thread so people could maybe share and speculate for the Bronco process since we have a couple weeks still to change dealers. I've been looking at the Bronco Sport forum and there are definitely similarities in customer's experiences but there are huge non-refundable deposits for some who were not expecting to be locked in months ahead. This has been a great conversation and I appreciate the transparency from everyone. It's really the only way to compare what dealers are doing.

Sponsored

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I don't think anyone would disagree the demand for the Bronco is high. If anything, I'm more worried a dealer would want to charge some misc. fees to prevent me from wanting to complete the sale of the Bronco.

Wouldn't they be much happier putting my Bronco on their lot and selling it for MSRP or more than to me for x-plan or less? I think they'd be happy when someone doesn't follow through. They wont have any for their lot in 2021. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't want to double dip and also get a $500 non refundable deposit...

Sorry, but I don't see much monetary risk from the dealers perspective.

Now I do remember Albert saying something to the affect that it doesn't look good for them to Ford when a customer doesn't take delivery. But Ford is selling all they can make. I'd think any dealer would be happy to have some to sell.

PAPA old school

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 bronco. 2018 chevy z71
Your Bronco Model
Base
Personally , I haven't reserved one yet. I am reading daily, Cant wait to see one in person!. Fords betting a bundle on this line of products, I hope to buy one in the future. I still have reservations about turbo motors. I don't race, not in a hurry, and could care less about all the add on's. I'm that old guy everyone wishes would pull over. Not conducive to tubo's .

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What you say is silly. There is ZERO RISK for you to $1000 REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT. Heck, a $5000 refundable deposit would be okay considering interest rates. The dealer however takes the financial risk of selling oddly configured vehicles, like at the 2.3L Sasquatch crazies I see around. If I know I will get it back, I don't really care about the deposit.
ZERO RISK means it goes into an escrow account (like earnest money for a home purchase). That's 99% not happening since there's a fee for escrow accounts and dealers that demand high deposit amounts aren't kicking in for that. A lot of things can happen between December and whenever the vehicle is finally delivered, especially in an uncertain economy. I'm not saying it's high risk but it's definitely not ZERO RISK.

Russ1Bronco

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
...I have a reservation in to my dealer....if he calls me in and ask for an additional payment...it would depend on the amount,and if it was refundable...If we talk,and I get the feeling that things are heading south..I'll pull my order and wait until the public can buy the Bronco...we've waited this long,so another year isn't going to kill me...Ford is going through the same thing with the Mach-E...so maybe we will hear some stories from those buyers...I really like my Ford Edge,so if I think I'm getting screwed...I'm gone....(and I'm eligible for the A/Z plan)
Sponsored