First Name
suzi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla S and Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It really saddens me to hear people generalising dealer technicians,I've been in the trade for 37 yrs and 23yrs at my current dealer as a working shop foreman i can say "slobs"don't stay in my shop for long i make sure of it,and if you only knew the amount of training we have to do every year(for free) best thing is to ask your dealer how many fully trained techs they have and request for the most trained to work on your vehicle.
This thread is about salespersons. I have always been happy with the service department at my FORD dealership.
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you go to a dealership expecting more than a "dummy" I seriously question your intelligence. lol. The majority only care about making a paycheck. Most likely have to look at the sign to remember what brand they are selling. In the age of information at your fingertips I cannot understand why they do not learn their products. Their sales managers should be held accountable.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thats really a damn shame. Truly a Dinosaur business model
This!! Unless you look like money they don't have time for you no matter who you are, what they don'e seem to get is these days millionaires walk around in ripped jeans and t-shirts. I went in to buy my wife a new car for her birthday, I was on my Honda VTX, and could not get the time of day, finally went to a competitor and was treated better by a young man who liked the bike. Bought a then new loaded Prius and paid cash. I don't have time for stupid, so I move on.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Vigor, my brother that is so disappointing to hear, but not surprising.

I strongly commend the understanding many people have shown towards Vigor's experience (based on things they can't hide/change) and I am gravely disappointed at any rather insensitive remarks in response to what @Vigor went through.

Alternatively, I know that some people might simply mean well, but you cannot speak for others' experiences and presume why they experienced mistreatment as "oh, it's not because of...". It's disrespectful and dismissive, even if you're trying to lighten up the mood.

@Vigor and I cannot hide/change our ethnicity from people opposed to it, whether driving the most expensive ride to the showroom or wearing designer digs. To a select of amount of nasty folks in this world, none of that matters.

Only when they can guarantee they will get paid, will they overlook that and behave. At the end of day, my life is way more rewarding than theirs, therefore it's their own issue and not mine.

As a young engineer (BSME/MBA/PhD) with various engineering and design patents in my name and a successful engineer/automotive product planner, reared in a very wealthy West African family in both UK and USA, I have made it a game at times to see how I will be received at many given dealerships, on my impromptu/casual visits.

I have walked into numerous Ford and non-Ford dealerships, receiving questionable treatment at times, particularly in USA.

In UK, they generally do not play these games with me. Whether at the sole Bentley showroom for the Birmingham and Coventry metropolitan areas servicing my dad's often dormant Arnage saloon, Lexus & Toyota dealers for other family vehicles, Jaguar Land Rover (former HQ engineer), and Ford showrooms for my personal vehicles over there. Plus many others.

Only on occasion I met the dismissive, xenophobic Brit, that often got reprimanded or terminated for playing games with me.

In USA, despite having sizeable financial means for a young male, my skin color and non English surname, has dictated a lot of my treatment based on false perceptions. Even at Ford dealers as someone part of Ford corporate, until I lay down the law and enforce compliance with what I expect, I am hindered from getting a reasonable experience at dealerships.

It is only when I call in ahead and expressly point out what vehicle I am arriving in, set an appointment, and who I am, that I'm able to avoid any of these annoying micro aggressions.

My white fiance rarely if ever experiences this treatment, except if it's a matter of envy or being perceived as uppity on first sight. Both of us tend to drive (high) performance vehicles, whether luxury or mainstream. We at "worst" drive our older 20th century 4x4 toys on occasion.

American brand car dealerships are often used as stepping stones by less than ideal individuals for a paycheck and the ownerships' lack of concern often doesn't help with who they hire and train.

At Ford, I feel we suffer with some of our Ford Performance and high end sales at times, due to a litany of dealerships thinking they can lazily handle a cynical customer buying a Fiesta S or base Ecosport, the same as a loyal customer looking at Ford Icon or Performance products such as ST vehicles, Bronco, GT350, loaded 401A GT Premium or high end utilities.

And if not, ADM everything to death and drive folks away. Not all Ford dealers are like this, but it's typical. FCA isn't better either. I am certain this hurt ST and RS sales. I cringe at the idea this could repeat itself with Bronco.

I own many Fords FYI, alongside BMWs, Toyota and JLR vehicles globally (plus others). Yet, my loyalty can mean zilch, even as someone (starting next late year), being professionally responsible for some pricey 2022MY+ flagship product sold in Ford/Lincoln showrooms.

None of my Ford projects have hit the sales floor yet, but pre-exist in some well-regarded current nameplates.
That is one of the best statements I've ever read regarding the unfortunate realities of a lowest-common-denominator world that sometimes rears its ugly head..

I commend you for being able to handle the insulting treatment from the idiots and bigots, and -- importantly -- also for not ignoring it when correction is necessary.

Being as high up in corporate as you apparently are, it's good you have the ability to take people to task at an appropriate level. When you shake up a franchisee's world, and are successful in getting them to actually pay attention to what's going on in their stores, there's at least some hope they will reset staff behavior expectations from the top down.

Some idiots at the sales level will never learn, but a smart owner will recognize that that kind of behavior is both morally repugnant, as well as likely costing them sales (there's not much more stupid than telling a millionaire he can't afford a car based on a snap judgment of his dirty overalls or his skin color, instead of first finding out who is the *person* that has walked in the door). As for the not-smart franchisees, well, you already know the tools that are available to help "persuade" them to enter the 21st century.
Sponsored