Sponsored

Decent recovery rope for not a lot of $$$?

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's going to be something I hope I never need, but want to have just in case. I don't want to be the douche with a Bronco that doesn't have any recovery equiptment to help someone out of a ditch. Saw it twice on the side of the highway yesterday in this crazy DFW weather. I wanted to help, but had no recovery rope. I do already have shackles. Just haven't found a rope that isn't pricy as hell.
Try Harbor Freight. They have one called the Badlands that is pretty nice for a reasonable price.

RunninRiot

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Make sure you know the difference between a tow strap and a recovery strap.

I was like you and wanted something just in case. Pick this up

ALL-TOP 100% Nylon Recovery... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07597WW53?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Little did I know a week later I had to use it. My Wrangler got stuck, totally turtled in water. Use this rope attached to another Jeep that sent it and popped me right out.

Prior to that two other Jeeps try to just pull slowly and didn't move at all.
Seconded. Great stretchy strap. It won’t take as many hits as a rope but if I am getting stuck that many times in a few years I’m doing something wrong.

yippeekiyay

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-dr Badsquatch, 1998 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Recovered 20 vehicles and been recovered 10x so no expert but a little experience - my Factor55 rope gives you more uses before it loses its stretch, has a much tougher sheath protecting the stretchable core, but costs way more, and takes up way more space than a strap.

If you're new enough to be asking which to get may I recommend the Harbor Freight Tool Rule? Buy something inexpensive to learn on, then if/once you've used it enough to wear it out you know enough to now appreciate how to spend your money on the better stuff.

I love Rhino like some others for affordable quality btw.

Final note, I also have and recommend a 10' rope for cases where there is no room to safely stretch out a 20 or 30' strap. You can also learn to safely connect it to your 20' to get 30' of range, which might be nice, since you just never know and the more options the better. Every recovery is a little different and its impossible to overstate how dangerous they can be. Get with a local club on some gnarly stuff and practice or watch as much as you can.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Seconded. Great stretchy strap. It won’t take as many hits as a rope but if I am getting stuck that many times in a few years I’m doing something wrong.
So it turns out I had to put my strap to use again. There was a taco stuck in the mud, so this time I was on the "rescue-er" side of that strap.

I must have nailed that thing a half a dozen times or more. But it was just too stuck in the mud. A Chevy truck came along, and we hooked up a second strap (But this was a tow, not a recovery) And we just grunt pulled the truck out.

But even after all that, this strap was still working. I would hit the end and it would actually pull my Jeep backwards.

I will say, then it has made me think about spring for a bubba, or yankum. Either that or I need to buy a winch bumper ;)

Who would have thought when I ordered this "just in case" I would have had to use it for two recoveries so far and just a matter of weeks.

RunninRiot

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So it turns out I had to put my strap to use again. There was a taco stuck in the mud, so this time I was on the "rescue-er" side of that strap.

I must have nailed that thing a half a dozen times or more. But it was just too stuck in the mud. A Chevy truck came along, and we hooked up a second strap (But this was a tow, not a recovery) And we just grunt pulled the truck out.

But even after all that, this strap was still working. I would hit the end and it would actually pull my Jeep backwards.

I will say, then it has made me think about spring for a bubba, or yankum. Either that or I need to buy a winch bumper ;)

Who would have thought when I ordered this "just in case" I would have had to use it for two recoveries so far and just a matter of weeks.
Exactly what I meant about it’s on me if I can’t get out! Tow straps are a dime a dozen. Doesn’t hurt to carry one of those as well. A snatch strap is perfect for me doing mid level trails and obstacles that are achievable for my setup. In two years when I am willing to bang up the Bronco a little more and get into stickier situations, then it might be time to drop the buck fifty on a rope.

Axe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 2018 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Kind of related, - had my bucket truck at work stuck in mud up to the axles and coworker pulled me out with mule tape. Truck weighs 16,000 lbs, we just triple wrapped the mule tape and I got right out. Looks like some sort of decorative ribbon, stuff is amazing.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe im in the minority but I think if you're gonna splurge on one essential item recovery gear might be the one to do. I was stuck on the border of BC/Yukon in Canada, deep slushy snow with sloppy mud just underneath. The straps we used were all for towing, each broke. Got lucky by rigging the broken straps together and just barely managed to get out, but my lesson was learned that day dont go cheap on recovery gear.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Make sure you know the difference between a tow strap and a recovery strap.

I was like you and wanted something just in case. Pick this up

ALL-TOP 100% Nylon Recovery... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07597WW53?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Little did I know a week later I had to use it. My Wrangler got stuck, totally turtled in water. Use this rope attached to another Jeep that sent it and popped me right out.

Prior to that two other Jeeps try to just pull slowly and didn't move at all.
Now this is the kind of advice I come here to read. Saved me $100 and will be much easier to lug around than a 30’ rope. Those things are massive. If it becomes a common thing, maybe I’ll upgrade. Not a big deal since this is so cheap.

Bought soft shackles and still came in under a hundred.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Now this is the kind of advice I come here to read. Saved me $100 and will be much easier to lug around than a 30’ rope. Those things are massive. If it becomes a common thing, maybe I’ll upgrade. Not a big deal since this is so cheap.

Bought soft shackles and still came in under a hundred.
About 2 weeks later, i was back out in that same area and a taco was stuck in the same spot. This time I was on the puller instead of the pullee and the strap held up.

I ended up needed another truck and we did a steady pull together (the taco was really stuck) but i yanked on that strap a half dozen times HARD and still going strong. It actually would pull my jeep backwards as it recoiled.

like you mentioned, If this becomes a habit, I think I'm going to go for an actual rope like yankum. They have more energy in them than a strap and won't be as harsh a yank..but for under $100... It has already paid for itself!

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I equipped both my Bronco and Tacoma with kinetic ropes and soft shackles. I keep a conventional tow/recovery strap in my 1500 work truck. The Bronco and Tacoma are used in sand, so the kinetic rope is desirable. My work truck is used on construction sites where the strap is likely to be used to recover stuck machinery.

7/8”x20’ kinetic rope $64
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WS2NRSV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1/2” synthetic shackles $28
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y1XN4ML/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, Rhino USA unfortunately doesn't make products in the USA
They proclaim themselves "an American-owned company" but not their products. I bought a few things, disappointed: their D-ring shackles' plastic covering cracked and broke, and rusted. Their gizmo-loaded shovel rusted after one use digging mud. But the tow strap held sufficiently to get me out of the mud the shovel didn't.

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands